Camargue Shoot

gapvic

Hi all,

I'm just (as of very late last night) home from my France / Italy trip. Have a billion pics to edit but started on the Camargue ones today. I did a one on one workshop with a group called Create Away in the Camargue. They don't do much in the way of teaching, but they arrange the horses for you. It was wonderful, and one of the highlights of my trip. Some pics to follow, still many more to edit :o

30375657041_484a2949e3_c.jpg

30425809706_24501c8849_c.jpg

30425810436_5be660c217_c.jpg

30425811576_82c93b7cd8_c.jpg

Yes, blown away. Also by your stamina in getting these to us when you should be exhausted/jet-lagged. Would like to know more about the process, whether organised set-up for shots/light or a bun-fight for positions. Love the way the rider is looking at you as if to say "Did you get the shot?"

Hi PC, I'm actually pretty wired. Slept about two hours last night and it's 4am and I've been up editing photos since 1am. Probably going to crash later today lol!

I did the shoot with a company called Create Away. They do workshops that can last from half a day up to a week, usually with a group of people. When I was there the timing didn't fit with a workshop, so I did a one on one shoot so it was just myself and the facilitator, Serge. That was brilliant - no worrying about getting in other peoples shots or vice versa. I think even when they run the group workshops though it's small. They also do a stallion on a beach shoot which I would have loved, but couldn't afford to do both and the mares in the lagoon shouts more Camargue to me so that was what I opted for.

Basically, the three guardians just herd the mares in whatever direction Serge instructs. The mares are very quiet and very tractable, and stick together in the herd when moving. I was quite amazed - if it was my horses, one would have been sure to have taken off and gone bush. But I guess the mares are used to it as it's how they live, semi wild out in the marshes. We moved to a few different lagoons which was physically very difficult - we had to wear long rubber waders (was in the water for almost all the shots), long tops (mosquitos are bad), carry heavy camera gear, and wade through the water for several kilometers. The temp was over 30c, even so late in the day, and I struggled to make it to the far lagoon lol. In saying all that, the experience was absolutely magical and having the heard of mares galloping straight at me through the water with the sun setting behind them is something I'll never, ever forget. If you are ever in southern France and can make it happen, do.

The final few I've just finished. Now on to the rest of the trip lol!

30173904920_ccb3b5d21a_b.jpg

30385488501_83ca2e067b_b.jpg

30385487301_2769ec138f_c.jpg

30173901270_d7be107b17_c.jpg

There are heaps more images here on my facebook page for anyone interested :)

Edited by gapvic

Wow, just WOW!

Gapvic you need to get the movie called White Mane, or in French Crin Blanc directed by Albert Lamorisse of The Red Balloon fame. You can get it on ebay. It's about a boy who befriends a wild stallion in the Camargue. I wont tell you anymore but I saw this movie only once when I was about 5 years old and never forgot it but could never remember the name of it until about 10 years ago I finally worked it out and bought the movie and 2 books.

After just coming back from there I think you will love it.

Edited by Kirislin