keeping crate cool in car

juice

I bought a metal crate for car trips because white dog who slobbers and sheds in  black interior car didn't work !

However on hot days the metal is untouchable.

I have covered it with a sheet , but a freind said you can get cool covers, but i can't find any.

I did borrow a soft crate to try before i bought the metal one, but thought it seemed hotter to travel in as more enclosed.

What does everyone use?

I could get a soft crate if that is cooler.

:( if metal is too hot to touch in the car ..then maybe it's too hot to take dog anyway?

The bottom of the crate will need to be well insulated ...otherwise it's a baking tray :(

you really need to have a foil- based bit against the crate bottom ..to reflect heat back ..NOT absorb it like any ordinary material will 

then , I suggest something either really thick and solid .. or a 'platform' to allow for some sir movement ..and space away from that heated floor. 

In our dog kennels, we use plastic bread crates etc ;) with bedding on top . They stay dry as well. 

A  2 L bottle of frozen water or two in the crate?

Even the coolmats would quickly absorb heat from the crate , as well as that from a dog ..and get really warm fast . refrigerating them first helps a bit .

For actual 'bedding'  perhaps try layers of shadecloth ;) fold and fold  until there are at least 6  layers .The amount of air in this helps keep things a bit cooler ...

We have had 2 vet appointments lately where we had to go and it was days where we hit 40 degrees.

the bottom of the crate has a plastic tray and bedding, its just the front was hot to touch by the time we came out of vets again.

i looked at bunnings site and they have the reflective tarps.

• Like 1

I use metal crates and never had an issue ,I gather your windows aren't tinted .

you can place a sun visor over the top or a blanket .not sure what bedding you use but ice blocks and cool mats won't be much help as if it's to hot they will melt or dry out 

It may be easier to keep your car cool than the crate.

My nose work instructor has huge versions of those foil reflective shade things. Like the ones you can get for your front windshield but they I swear they cover half the length of her SUV. I want! She said she got it from the reject shop but I haven't seen any.

19 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

:offtopic:

Do Clean Run still do their free international shipping promotions? When I was Secret Santa stalking I saw lots of references to it.

No sadly - it just got too expensive for them (not my fault :laugh: ). However their shipping is very reasonable and it's worth playing around with items in your cart to get the best deal. I keep a wish list so I can top up with little things that don't weigh much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, juice said:

yes Delta, crate too hot to touch to get her in.

i think keeping the car cool when its parked seems the answer, i bought a car sun visor yesterday and its over the top of the crate now.

juice - I'd go softcrate - it contains the hair better too. You'll have airconditioning on when you're in the car in any event, so air flow shouldn't really be an issue. You could leave a corner on each side or the top open if you need better airflow still.  I use the K9pro ones and there's mesh on all sides and you can unzip all or part way on almost all of them.