Guide for first puppy

JimmyTheHuman

Not exactly our first puppy, but keen to start at the start. Not about behaviour, theres endless content on that.

Ours is a Kelpie puppy.

I am curious about pens, play areas. What does a day look like for a 12-24 week old puppy look like. how to safely leave him at 2 days a week. dog runs, vs chained to kennel. how long to use chains and runs before alone in the yard.

Any good guides or discussion on this? i cant find anything.

The better question is what is your long term plan and how do I raise the puppy to adapt too it .

Personally I think chaining is cruel and not safe so would do a dog run over chaining  .

Puppies start as there life will be here ,there normal is every day so they feel comfy in that .

im presuming this is a day plan for when at work so what is the rest of the day going to be inside/outside 

Edited by Dogsfevr

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2020 at 2:37 PM, Dogsfevr said:

The better question is what is your long term plan and how do I raise the puppy to adapt too it .

You're right this is THE big question. I have agonised over this and our pup has been here for 4 days and i am still thinking, crikey what have i done!

I am lucky/unlucky enough to be working from home for the first 3months of its life. Plus i have 'adult' children at home until Feb next year as the uni is 100% from home until then. This will be our last child/puppy in this lifetime so we are very into it, and this is possibly the most time we will be at home until retirement/retrenchment :)

This is the time for us. However its winter, but our yard is all grass. No mud. We are working, even now on training and playing for calm, we want him to be inside and cuddly and calm as much as possible.

We dont want to use chain or pen but reality is, there are times when the puppy needs to learn to be on his own and our 1 acre yard is dog proof, its still to big for him to wander for hour/s without supervision for now. So i think i will build a pen from mesh fence panels. Make it into a dog disneyland with heaps of creative play stuff and a kennel and shelter from the weather and get him used to being separated and playing on his own in there.

What do you think?

Wife and i are debating about whether to build close enough where he can see us inside or better its we are out of sight?

• Like 1

On 22/04/2020 at 4:41 PM, sheena said:

Where is he going to sleep at night?

My current dog slept outside for 10 years on his bed...he would drag his bed out of his kennel. He just preferred it. Last couple of years we've let him sleep inside as he is getting old and he very trustworthy and next level obedient.

New pup is in crate next to old dog inside. He is 7 weeks. WAY too young to leave outside over night in melb winter. I have enclose outdoor area and his crate is going out there during the day...he is fine for next month. I am trying to get him to to love his crate. Then i was going to do what did last time, kennel and dog run until he grows out of the escape and dissappear age and will reliably stay home even when gate is open. eg my current/old dog can be told to sit on front door matt i can go out for hours and come back and he will be sitting there...though i dont test this anymore. He wouldn't go out our gate without being released even if other dogs walked past. I aiming to repeat this :)

6 hours ago, JimmyTheHuman said:

So i think i will build a pen from mesh fence panels. Make it into a dog disneyland with heaps of creative play stuff and a kennel and shelter from the weather and get him used to being separated and playing on his own in there.

BRILLIANT . Change toys/penscape often ..and use scents to make it interesting too :) A sand box for digging and burying snax   ... sounds great ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, juice said:

And you have had him 4 days so even younger than 7 weeks when u got him poor mite . 

First post was on 21 April... 2 weeks ago... errr!

I think the OP is trying his best to raise the little one right, so let's give him any/all assistance to do that, yes?

T.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, persephone said:

WHO sold you a puppy this young ? :(

Puppies are not supposed to be sold until at least 8 weeks. 

16 hours ago, juice said:

And you have had him 4 days so even younger than 7 weeks when u got him poor mite . 

He was like 7 weeks and 5 days. PLEASE forgive my rounding.

I think this is an excellent way to create a quiet and unpleasant forum.

There is NOTHING poor about this pup or my older dog. We lived as a family 5 (4 people and the dog), his picture is on the wall next to my kids, we do everything together. My dogs live like Kings! Best food, regular holidays together, regular vet, big yard, inside with us a lot, plenty of exercise, obedience and training, the beach. With the pup My wife and i are on shifts and take to toilet all night to train him to go way down the back, he could be in a pen on a chain...nothing poor or lazy or ill considered here.

These comments are as silly as me saying, your white pitbull in your profile pic is a killer breed and shouldn't be allowed. Why are you so careless?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, JimmyTheHuman said:

My dogs live like Kings!

I know you look after your dogs :)  if you did get him under eight weeks it's the seller who has done the irresponsible thing ..not the buyer . Your little guy is fortunate- he has  experienced and caring owners. So many pups rehomed earlier than optimum  never really learn "doggy manners" and other things - so are often set up for lots of mistakes with inexperienced owners  :( it can be very sad to then hear about problems as they grow .
Unfortunately, you did "round down"   ;) a bit of an 'oops' with those here who  really just want the best start for new pups and owners .
Hoping you will post a few photos of the new baby - and of your puppy "Disneyland " .

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

@JimmyTheHuman... you sound like a great family for this little one... don't get disheartened at the odd negative comment, OK?

I'm with persephone on the point of you posting some photos of him... and telling us his name... so we can all get to know him better.

... and just a side note about juice's avatar dog breed - it's a bull terrier, not a pitbull... *grin*

T.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Disneyland type play areas are great for puppy’s and older dogs.  We used to have one with a huge tractor tyre in it plus logs to walk along and a sand shell to dig in.  All gone now except the big tyre which is still a great favourite with our dogs of all ages — now it has a tunnel entrance built by generations of dogs and a great place to sit!

• Like 2

I dont, just nitpicking and assuming we're all doing the wrong thing. Anyway, now i am whinging! Go ahead and delete these posts if you like.

Thanks for the links, i am building the pen Sat, then make it inescapable...i am predicting his tunnelling skills...then i will make it exciting!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1