Whats the recommended breeding shedule for a bitch ?

jjj8

Hey guys i want to do whats best for my girl

So whats the best breeding shedule? 

Would it be breed every 2 heat cycles and have a break on the thrid and repeat? 

Or 1 on 1 off ? 

Im not sure and just trying to learn so i do the right thing by my bitch

Thanks alot

whilst I wouldn't breed from this bitch again I would give her a break as this litter has not been easy on you or her.  There are codes of practice that need to be followed if you were a registered breeder. I strongly urge you to get both dogs health tested before breeding them again and I mean proper health tests for the breed/s not just the all clear from the vet. https://www.orivet.com/

I'm not sure what the laws are in NSW but in Victoria you could be liable for the pups up until they are 3 years old, for certain things. Regardless of if you are a registered breeder or not.

I am glad everything turned out ok in the end

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, how old was she for her 1st litter?

I'm not a breeder but. If you do decide to breed her again I'd give her the break of a season (orivet is a great idea too), and try to time your annual leave so both of you aren't distressed. :) 

• Like 6

Anyone who breeds back to back litters and thinks its only a case of miss the next season and ok to breed on the second will be in for a surprise.

The 3rd litter will be born inside the time allowed to register a 3rd litter.

Hefty fine awaits. Check the dates she cycled VERY carefully. Few have the 2nd cycle far enough later for the litter to be born after the time allowed.

Neat income earner for ankc if you failed to check dates

• Like 2

Hey guys im not sure if im going to breed her again im definitely not going too on her next heat anyways

All im doing is just asking so if i do decide too i know the best way to go on about it

Btw ive already tested her and the stud and they are clear for all genetic diseases etc

• Like 3

It varies for different breeds so best to do a specific search with the breed club. They all have a criteria that must be met if they are to be registered. If not getting papers then do what’s best for her. 

If she had a difficult time, not enough milk, didn’t eat enough, struggled in any way and difficulty with energy levels or looks like she needs a good rest then definitely no back to back breeding. Particularly if she comes into season every 6 months. Some are much longer in between so they have a longer time to recover but even they will rest them for a cycle. 

If she didn’t enjoy motherhood and struggled I’d reconsider putting her through it again, as you will potentially be putting yourself through raising them again or even worse. 

• Like 2

why do you want a second litter??
Are you repeating the breeding?
Did the first breeding produce quality pups(which you wont know until older).

To be honest as a breeder we would be reluctant to breed a bitch that didnt get good milk or motherhood wasnt for them .
Producing puppies is nothing compared to the factors of why i should be a bitch potentially again .

If your registered then the rules are covered the the rules & regs.
State laws may cover other aspects that you should be very aware off as a breeder especilly in NSW 

Edited by Dogsfevr