Council Registration

cavmad

Quick question - I purchased a dog which was desexed shortly before I collected. Unfortunately the dog had not been desexed within the relevant age (but was desexed for rehoming). I have now gone to register this dog in my name and my council wants me to pay $252.00 because the dog was not desexed earlier plus a $21 late fee. I would have been happy to pay the normal registration fee, but this has really surprised me, as really, I had nothing to do with the fact that the dog wasn't desexed earlier. I have reached out to the council to no avail. Has anyone had any experience with this? Also, what exactly am I getting for the registration fee? Should I just suck it up and pay it? I have been reading the companion animals act but can't really find anything useful.

Thank you.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jemappelle said:

Are you in NSW as it varies from state to state?  It sounds like you are, and the registration fee is for the life of the animal, no matter who owns it.  Here's more info relevant to NSW:

https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/public/dogs-cats/nsw-pet-registry/microchipping-and-registration/

Yeah, in NSW. Maybe they didn't register the dog either, although it was successfully transferred into my name. When I went to register it was when I saw the lovely unexpected fee. I expected $75 and got $252 plus a late fee of $21. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes it looks like they didn't have the dog registered before you purchased it.  What a shame!  I wonder if you could contact the Office of Local Government to appeal this as it is not your fault!?  I'd be contacting them first off.  

• Like 2

This is the list of registration fees currently in NSW...

image.thumb.png.7d2885a313d4562220d6fd7207d0f4b9.png

It sucks that they've added (not desexed by relevant age) to the list, as it certainly doesn't compel anyone to register them at all, let alone desex them if they are over the relevant age, which I think is 6 months old.

The upside is that it's a once only fee, as the dog is then registered in NSW for it's entire lifespan, OK?

As for disputing the fee, you may have some luck if you go into the council in person, take your purchase receipt (if you got one) and your copy of the change of owner forms for the microchip, and see if you can talk face to face with a human being who can make a definitive decision regarding which registration fee you should pay, and waive the late fee... as none of that stuff is your actual fault.

If the dog was bought from a rescue or a pound (or shelter like RSPCA/AWL), you should get council registration for free.

T.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rebanne said:

what tdierikx said. I'd be arguing about the fees. Let them fine the previous owner for not doing the right thing

As above. Argue you have not had duty of care for an entire Dog in this instance.

The fee you are being asked to pay is for an entire dog, and thats not what you took delivery of, nor should you be responsible for a late fee if that duty of care was undertaken in a reasonable time frame of accepting delivery.

Edited by moosmum
  • Like 4

Ahhh Queensland dog registration.  I would use the purchase receipt of your dog to argue your case.  Even if the dog had been registered in NSW, you would still need to register yearly with your local council.  I am explaining this not for you cavmad but for others from NSW.  I am assuming you got your dog from a registered breeder, so the receipt should include the breeders DogsNSW or alternative registration number.  All of this info will assist in proving your case.

Good Luck.

I would be happy to pay that if it were a once off.

Our Council charges annually. 

An undesexed dog $180 a year.

I do get this half price as I'm an approved kennel and ANKC breeder but it's a lot with 6 dogs!

Not complaining,  but I do like the NSW rule of only paying once

• Sad 1