Inquest Into Baby Killed by Dog. ABC News 19/2/24

Deeds

On 19/02/2024 at 4:06 PM, Deeds said:

The last part of this link states:

The court heard the dog was bought off Gumtree for $500 and was advertised as a purebred American Staffy.

The Sydney-based breeder told police he capped the price as he understood a sale over that amount would mean it would need to be done through a registered breeder with documentation.

The breeder said the dog's parents were bought independently, also from Gumtree, and also not from a registered breeder.

Is that a new law that pups that are sold more than $500 mean the seller needs to be a registered breeder?

Edited by Boronia
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Boronia said:

Is that a new law that pups that are sold more than $500 mean the seller needs to be a registered breeder?

Not sure of the rules now but I swear it used to be $500.
So all people do now (mostly for their fluffy crosses) is join one of the alternative registries and set their price.
Or, just fudge the information. Gumtree doesn't check unless the ad is reported and even then they aren't too fussed. Half the microchips - per the new rules/law - listed nowadays are made up nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, tdierikx said:

There is no actual law (in NSW anyways) that says that you have to be a registered breeder to sell a pup/kitten for more than $500... more likely a Gumtree rule...

T.

That is my opinion too. no law in Vic either that I know of.

• Like 2