Dog Breeder Claims May Put Unsuspecting Owners at Risk

Deeds

Any bull breed cross with a "red" nose will be identified by rangers as a pitbull - regardless the red nose comes from kelpie or other similarly coloured breeds in the mix.

This is another strong reason why people shouldn't just buy a "cheap" or "trendy" dog type from unregistered breeders. With a pedigree there is no doubt as to what type of dog you are getting... or the traits inherent in them. It's going to be a mixed bag in a crossbred litter every time.

T.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

Aren't AmStaffs just rebranded pit bulls?  As I understand Oz laws, legally speaking, an AmStaff without a pedigree is a pit bull in most states.  

My belief as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

With a pedigree there is no doubt as to what type of dog you are getting... or the traits inherent in them.

T.

That’s only true of Dogs Australia/ANKC pedigrees. There are now some alternative registries with pedigree verification processes which I wouldn’t trust at all.

• Sad 3

I believe the Pitbull & Am Staff are very separate breeds but fall under the category of "Bully "breeds just like Staffies.

No different to Whippets,Grehounds being sighthounds .

We boarded a number of Pitbulls many many years ago when you could honestly say they where true to type pure we also board alot of Am Staffs .
You could tell the difference easily when both a breed true to type .

These days Pitbulls rarely are true to type or even the breed .
So many created as pig dogs mixed with anything .

I can honestly say the Pitbulls we boarded where the most delightful dogs .

The above situation wouldnt have mattered if it was a Labrador ,dumb owners not accepting what the dog had done & using there brains accordingly .

As for council well all you have to do is look at Found dog posts & realise they have no clue what too label the dog found .
I mean so many still list a black fluffy as a Maltese 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 3

Considering that pitbulls were banned from import into Australia in 2011, and you can't legally breed them, I'd say that there probably aren't too many pure pitbulls around.

The issue then arises around identifying a dog as a pitbull (or cross thereof)... and the fact that crossbred dogs may not have the same temperaments or inclinations as any breed in their mix... BSL just can't work to reduce dog attack statistics. Seizing and killing any pet based just on what it looks like is not the answer here. Seizing and destroying a dog that has shown certain inclinations is a whole other ballgame, and rightly so... there is no place in society for any dog that has shown such inclinations.

The identification issue was brought up by numerous witnesses in the recent Qld inquiry relating to this topic, but none have any real hope that the government will listen to that information/advice.

T.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Considering that pitbulls were banned from import into Australia in 2011, and you can't legally breed them, I'd say that there probably aren't too many pure pitbulls around.

They exist around here. They are not restricted in the ACT.  I don’t  think  they are in the NT either. 
You wouldn’t know they were banned in adjacent areas of NSW either by how commonly I see them. 
Whether they are completely ‘pure’ I can’t say, but they look it. 

Edited by Diva
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Deeds said:

The difference is with amstaffs and pitbulls is when they attack they do more damage than other dogs due to their jaws and how they can latch on.

Any large breed dog can inflict massive damage or cause death more readily than a smaller breed dog... but that doesn't necessarily mean we should ban all large breed dogs, does it? AmStaffs/Pitbulls (or most bull breeds) do not "lock" their jaws as is the commonly claimed myth, but they do have powerful jaw muscles that make it hard to prise the jaw open once they bite down.

T.

• Like 4

Pitbulls and amstaffs we’re originally the same breed, the difference is amstaffs we’re bred for showing so have to be bred to a standard whereas pit bulls were still bred to do a job (weight pulls, dog fighting etc.) it is exactly the same as comparing a working line GSD, ACD, kelpie etc. to dogs bred for show.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow
  • Like 4

I found it interesting that when the story first broke, the animal control officer was quoted as saying that the dog was able to be identified as a pit bull because it had white tips on its toes :laugh:

And again for the gallery…..bull breed jaws do not have the mechanism to “lock”. Bull breeds have very powerful masseter muscles which provide incredible bite force. And that, coupled with a determined mind can create untold damage in a fight situation.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/02/2024 at 12:20 PM, tdierikx said:

Any bull breed cross with a "red" nose will be identified by rangers as a pitbull - regardless the red nose comes from kelpie or other similarly coloured breeds in the mix.

This is another strong reason why people shouldn't just buy a "cheap" or "trendy" dog type from unregistered breeders. With a pedigree there is no doubt as to what type of dog you are getting... or the traits inherent in them. It's going to be a mixed bag in a crossbred litter every time.

T.

Catch is I well remember when the first ones arrived here.  One imported male was dual registered in America as a Pitbull with one association and an American Staffordshire Terrier with the American ankc.  so in yanki land they can be registered as both. kind of muddies the waters.

Bit like the american quarter horses. one of their leading sires, Three Bars just happened to also be a Stud Book Thoroughbred. another that became a leading  Thoroughbred and QH sire over there was Noholme (imp Aust)  Does Star Kingdom (imp UK) and Todman ring a bell?  Both leading ASB LEADING SIRES first one is his dad and the second his full brother.

Yanks are creative in their breeding and registers. One of his sons registered as a pure bred quarter horse was bought by an Aussie to import here but soon as he found out his sire, cancelled the purchase.

If he had landed here just about every horseman here would have recognised Noholme's name and know if he had been born here he would have had to be registered as a first cross QH.  the fat sure would have hit the fan.

Edited by asal

APBT is a small subset of pit bull, defined by pedigree.  It's confusing. Definitions of pit bull vary depending on where and who you are.  If I remember correctly, staffies and many cross breeds are legally considered pit bulls in parts of California.  Wisdom Panel claims they can now identify APBTs from DNA.  Presumably that means dogs descended from pedigree APBT lineages.

Edited by sandgrubber

On 20/02/2024 at 9:47 AM, Deeds said:

I imagine there are a lot of Pitbulls sold as American Staffies.  Particularly on Gumtree.

I was asked to microchip a puppy, the owner told me it was a jack Russell.

Blind Freddy could have felt it and known it was either a pit bull or an amstaff.

owners get pretty creative.

If I can tell a rotti, collie, kelpie, cattle, chi, etc puppy I somehow suspect I might have got it right on that one too.

When I told Richard my vet he cracked up and said, he had been told Jack Russell too for what he knew certainly was not, as well when chipping. 

He said on that occasion he too was sure was the same breed I thought the pup I was about to chip. its tough.  It was during the worst of BSL people were trying to protect their puppies

suspect this cutie is either all chihuahua or minimum 3/4, otherwise it would be long body and  v short legs, as for being chocolate not sure if jack russell's even carry chocolate. yes he's chocolate, chocolate nose and dilute eyes. add being long coat, JR only carry smooth or wire.  and....... :confused:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bradbury/dogs-puppies/9-week-old-jackchi/1322499725

well they do have chocolate JK in UK.

Edited by asal