When You Can See The Bridge In The Distance

Hedds

My best friend is sitting in the winter sun, as it streams in through the window....

Her tired old eyes are content. She is warm. She realises how much harder its been to get around this winter.

She glances across the room, to look at me as I type, then lays her head on her paws, like she is asleep, but her eyes are open, and they are far away.

She is young, running for miles beside the horse. In the bush, and across the mountains. On warm sunny days, laughing in delight just because we are there, her tongue hanging out the side of her mouth as she sucks in enough air to keep up. Walking at snails pace, caught above the snowline, her feet packed with ice, head bent as we ride into the sleet, never moving from her spot at the horses heels, knowing he will lead her to camp, where her mistress will need her to watch over her.

Long days on the beach. Watching from the waters edge as her mistress swims when she has had enough. Never taking her eyes off her, and not moving until she is safely back on land.

Even before then, younger still. Squirming with delight as she goes down the front of the bike jacket, with her puppy face hanging over the zip, for her first taste of the motorbike. Already knowing how she would love it, and remembering how she would run to the bike first before the car, every time she went out the front door.

So many things for an old dog to remember. Skip over the many tears and heartaches shared with you by your mistress's sorrow, think about family lunches, walking beside toddlers while they balance themselves by grabbing great handfuls of your coat. Being oh so careful of their little steps, and watching they came to no harm. Dont remember the long days waiting for 'her' to come home from work, remember your delight, and hers, when she did and how good is was to be together, even if it was just sitting in front of the fire, watching the flames.

Its a struggle now to get up the steep drive, so the old dog waits at the bottom. She watches the young dog rush up to greet her mistress, like she used to, but she shivers in excitement and quietly waits her turn. Like she waits beside the bed each night to be lifted up onto it. Her jumping days are spent. The grey hairs over her muzzle are matched by the tiredness of her body. But not her soul. Inside, she is the same dog that tore along in front of the horse, and chased every rabbit that crossed her path. Yeah, this winter is tough, and it's not over. Cold days and stiff old legs make for the odd tumble on the tiles, but she struggles to her feet and keeps going. There are still good days, when getting around is easier. She is loved, and in no pain. Her mistress is typing now, but it wont be long before she comes over to the sunny spot where her mat is, to look into her brown eyes that are as deep as the ocean, and that hold all the memories of the years they have spent together. Not yet, her beautiful old eyes say. Not quite yet...................

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Ironbark, I wrote it just before, watching her sit in the sunshine.

I guess I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that we wont be together for another 14 years. I knew one day we'd get to this, but the last month it's come on quickly.

I hope it was ok to post it here.

Edited by Hedds

:thumbsup: :cool: Hedds, that is so sad and beautiful, I just can't stop crying now.

we know we will outlive our dogs, but knowing the end is near, its so hard to just enjoy them without thinking of what's to come.

I know she will go in your arms, loved and loving.

hugs to you both

fifi

:thumbsup: Very very touching - we lost our 12 year old to cancer in March but even before knowing she was sick we knew to value our time together as she was getting up there - reading your beautiful words brought it all back.

It is a special gift to be able to write like that Hedds.

:mad gifted indeed--and thats so true and heartfelt

My old Poodle girl is now 14(Jan 30) and Ive been thinking similar things--

she wants inside in the warm snuggle and nothing more--

and yes I do think they have the same memories we do of the good old days :) :p

Awee Hedds honey :)

My heart is breaking into a thousand little pieces for you, what a life, what a soul, what a treasure you've had in a guardian such as her.

My words can't help but know that your in my heart and prayers and I'm thinking of you. Your writing is insurmountably beautiful.

All My Love

Riles

• 2 weeks later...

Wiping my eyes too. Beautifully written, heartfelt. I lost my loved old girl earlier this year, and it's hard. I read somewhere that the cruellest joke is the short lifespan of the dog. When you welcome the young ones into your life you know that one day you will be saying goodbye. You can't do better than to have such beautiful memories. My old girl would dream and move her feet and bark in her sleep and I would imagine that she was remembering the things we'd done, all the times that she had loved so much.