Worms

We worm the adult dogs as soon as they come into care and then slot them into the three monthly routine with the ones already here.

Last weekend, one of the dogs was adopted... and he was full of worms... worming not meant to be till September 1 (we do at start of season, easy to remember). Now we are worming all of them today... we have never had a problem like this before (and it was quite embarrassing to be told he was wormy) :thumbsup:

Is three monthly too long a gap? :thumbsup:

We worm the adult dogs as soon as they come into care and then slot them into the three monthly routine with the ones already here.

Last weekend, one of the dogs was adopted... and he was full of worms... worming not meant to be till September 1 (we do at start of season, easy to remember). Now we are worming all of them today... we have never had a problem like this before (and it was quite embarrassing to be told he was wormy) :thumbsup:

Is three monthly too long a gap? :thumbsup:

What are you worming with?

-WithEverythingIAm

Three monthly is the recommended gap but in your situtation you might need to shorten the intervals, particularly if it's likely that the dogs that you take into care are already infected. Very little of the drugs in the worming tablets are absorbed systemically so it's safe to dose more frequently (as the 3 month protocol just coincides with worm life cycles) - I would suggest something like worming on arrival, then repeating in 2 weeks, and then going onto the 3 monthly cycle. Either that or repeat the worming prior to adoption?

Rozzie, it would really depend on the worming product you are using as well as the prevalence of certain worms in the ground (ie. different worming regimen if there is livestock present etc)

Personally, I worm the dogs once a month. I have horses and they are wormed once every 6 weeks. Am currently using a supermarket GoPet product which claims to do heartworm and intestinal worms.

Regardless of price (it is by far the cheapest way to do things) I think it's working for me and my dogs. Vet is always trying to convince me to go onto something more expensive and 'trendy" but as I already use Advantix for tick prevention, it would just be too much of a whack to my wallet each month. And I can't see how, fair trading-wise, a product could claim to do heartworm and not actually cover it - if you get my drift. :thumbsup: The heartworming is way more important in my book.

If you use the one product, what is it and how long does it cover the dogs for?? Does the product do all worms and is it perhaps one worm causing a problem?

Just some thoughts for you :thumbsup:

99% of greyhounds are wormed monthly. All my dogs are done monthly. One month with Fido , then next month I use panacure or another sheep wormer. Then about 6 months I use ambex or another good one. If you use the same the worms get immune to it and it has less effect.. Especially if using a brand from the supermarket. As you have dogs comming and going I would recommend monthly worming.

I was worming mine 3 monthly until Bob started passing tapeworm segments 4 weeks after worming. This happened a few times even though I was using the wormer from the vet. We wormed him for just tapeworm which seems to have cleared it up. Before that we were using the 'allwormer' type product. Perhaps they just aren't as effective now.

Can I ask a question on this topic?

I wormed my dog last week with an "all-wormer" type tablet from the petstore, then for the next few days he would vomit everynight. Could this be a reaction to the tablets or do dying/dead worms cause vomitting?

Three monthly for a wormy dog is too long. You should worm again in 3 weeks and then again 3 weeks later.

Three weeks will cover the life cycle of most of the worst type of worms and the second worming (6 weeks later) will cover tapeworm varieties.

A series of regular wormings is recommended for a wormy dog.

Rozzie, I would also worm any dogs he has had contact with in three weeks time also.

Edited by Scales of Justice

Hmm sorry to hijack this thread..

I bought tapeworm tablets and was advised to give it every 6 months???

Im also using advantix on a monthly basis.

Does this mean that I might have been advised wrongly re. the tapeworm tablets?

Rozzie,

When ever I bring in a foster into the house the vets worms all the dogs to prevent them to be re infected, also lots of garlic :rofl:

Perhaps can you worm the newbies when they come in keep them apart for a few weeks before they join the tribe? Otherwise the dogs will be wormed every week.

:rolleyes: :mad

When are you going to reply to my email. :cry:

We use DRONTAL and worm all dogs on arrival and continue worming everyone on the first of the month.

Am currently using a supermarket GoPet product which claims to do heartworm and intestinal worms.

Cheaper worming brands have been proven to have a low efficacy on anything other than roundworm.

We went with a cheaper product a while ago and ended up losing most of a litter to hookworm... they had been wormed repeated from new borns....

I worm puppies on arrival, after a week and then 2 weekly until they leave, new owners are advise to worm every 2 weeks until 12 weeks and then monthly until 6 months.

Adults are wormed on arrival, 1-2 weeks later depending upon infestation, and then monthly

All dogs here are wormed monthly as lots are coming and going

Whenever I get a dog or pup in that has a heavy worm burden all dogs are wormed regardless of when they werer wormed last

Please do not forget to worm yourself aswell

Can I ask a question on this topic?

I wormed my dog last week with an "all-wormer" type tablet from the petstore, then for the next few days he would vomit everynight. Could this be a reaction to the tablets or do dying/dead worms cause vomitting?

i don't have an answere to your question, but i thought i'd mention that wormers don't actually kill the worms, they sedate them so they can be passed.

i live by the safe assuption that EVERY dog has worms.