Matted Cocker

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never do it at the standard rate as it simply isnt fair for those who come in regularly with a pristeen dog to pay the same price as a 1-2 a year matted mess.

We ask the condition & state depending on how bad it starts from,we can up it or stay with whats quoted,those in a mess are told what price before starting & they have the choice to leave if they wish but its never happened.

Serial idiots will do it over & over again they simply dont care & they obviously dont care what there friends & family think when they pat the dog.

Those arrogant type we may ask to hang around will we start grooming & that often gets there attention especially if another client comes in & makes a remark

:) that poor dog. I can only imagine the matted mess.

Booboo, I agree, I'd be hopeless as a groomer, wouldn't be able to control my tongue. I see so many cockers with the "shaggy" coat - I'd love to get my hands (and coat king) on to them. Their owners are oblivious to the condition of their coat.

$80 doesn't sound at all bad to me either. And personally, I think those who neglect breeds which are high maintenance to the extent where they are in such bad condition NEED to learn a lesson and if it comes from the hip pocket, then so be it!! Many just don't realise and a lesson like that will teach them like no other.

For those that come out of the wood work, once a year, the serial non-brushers of their dogs. I would charge them around $90, they are not the bread and butter 6 or 8 week regular grooms , the dogs are usually harder to handle and it normally takes more time, to get them done.

I would have charged them around $90 + for that, compared to say $60 for a cocker in good condition :laugh:

As you can imagine when they are so badly matted it takes ages as you are being so careful not to cause any nicks, clipper burn etc. It took the better part of three hours.

A cocker clip if done on a regular basis is $35.00, clip, bath, dry etc.

i hate clips that take upto three hours or more in some case!!!our set prices are usually 50-60 but if anyone asks me to do something say bigger than a BC then i wack the price up, i am yet to clip a dog that was in great condition with no clips and what not!!!i cringe when people tell me they have a shitzu x something or some sort of oodley doodley!!!!! i probably would have charged around the sam, i am a shocker for not putting my price up thou from my quoted price!!!!

I have had quite a few Cockers brought to me in a similar condition. I do my clips from home and only Cockers (as this is my breed) I charge $50.00 plus $10.00 blade damage, as I find it easiest to clip the dog first and then bath and do any touch ups after.

The owners also get a big lecture and lesson on how to groom a Cocker, they are not a hard breed to look after and in MHO it is just being lazy not grooming them.

Hi there

This is a cocker which I clipped on Wed, he also had a bath. blow dry and re-clip. As you can see by his ears and feet he had a huge coat and was badly matted. Where I could I used a #7F and to get the matts out a #10.

There has been some "backlash" at what I charged, please may I have some ideas from other groomers as to what you/your salon would charge for a badly matted cocker.?

post-8234-1159677946_thumb.jpg post-8234-1159677967_thumb.jpg post-8234-1159678000_thumb.jpg

Hi there Hesapandabear, go to this site, and see what they charge in Canberra salons for grooming http://www.capitalgrooming.com.au/feesmatrix.html you will be surprised, all groomings of any animal have there own prices for each animal, it depends how long it took for you to safely clip the animal, plus the cost of your blade & equipment costs, keep up the good work, nicestman77. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rofl: $55 bucks for a Fox Terrier Smooth Coat :rofl::cry: What in the hell do they do for $55!! A bath, dry, nail clip and coat spray would cost you $25 here. Sheeez, I need to change my prices.

I charge $45 for a cocker. $50 if it is disgusting.

:rolleyes:

Warley can comment on Capital Groomings prices, but I think you'd find it hard to even get a booking there. I was talking to a girl who works there and she was mentioning how they are phasing out doing larger dogs and were really busy (during winter, let alone summer)

But their work IS amazing.

I love the $125 for the GSD

Thanks nicestman for your comments, and the link, LOL had another cocker today, not as bad as the previous one, "Oh we like her ears kept long" sorry I have to clip short to get the mats out :rofl: let alone the state of the feet, huge mats between all the pads etc etc charged $50 for the works.

GRRRRRRR then I had to help clip some persians and maine coons and she is a breeder who used to show, :rolleyes: well I nearly :rolleyes: at the shit and urine through them, let alone the mats :rofl:

I had one like that 2 weeks ago and charged them $100.00. Stuff em, 3 blades got blunt from all the dirt and crap in there, took 2 hours and stripped off like sheeps wool all one piece. Was a major bitch and time consuming.

Think the dog was the only one happy in the end.

I had better be extra nice to the groomer who does my crew especially the OES's or Im buggered at those prices. :rolleyes:

Granted I take mine every fortnight. I usually take 2 oes, 1 hungarian puli full cords and 3 yorkies all in full coat and 2 ccs and its always only $70 if that. Its a social outing and my crew love it and the big guys adore there play session they get after there baths

Thats full brush out, wash, dry, nails if needed, puli oiled once washed. Usually any rescue dogs are a extra $10 unless its a oes or bigger and then its $15

Just realized how much I love my groomer :rolleyes: