My Little Bb Puppy

morpheos

Hi all,

picked up my pure beed british bulldog pup last week. He is gorgeous.

He has been doing really well.. Only cried on the first night for about 10 min and cried for about 5 min second night. He hasnt cried since.

he has been using his puppy pads really well.. just a few quick questions after I describe what we have been doing.

We have been letting him sleep in the laundry which is quite big and always cool as it doesnt get much sun except for the early morning. We use a todler kids barrier to keep him out of area's we dont want him to be in when we are not there. This has been working well.. He does have a doggy door and knows how to use it although at 9 weeks old we have been told not to leave him on his own at this stage.

We both work and do try to spend as much time with him as possible. although this morning I did extend his area to include the kitchen. He has heaps of toys and loves to play.

He loves going out to the backyard and already knows that he can do his business there. He uses the mat to do no_1's although goes out the back to no_2's. Whilst in the backyard he eats the grass and anything he can get his mout on.. This is the reason we have opted not to allow him outside on his own at this stage.

I have been going over numerous posts and have found some great info although just want some opinions on the following.

Biting and nibling seems to be getting worse and worse. We do say a strong firm NO alth he stops for a little bit he continues soon after.

This is the same for the grass and tree's. Even if we say NO he continues to bite and what i can make out eat it.

he also barks and growls when he is playing with us.. He also jumps and barks when I am putting his food together.

Is this normal puupy behaviour or something we should try to put a stop to ASAP ? Any ideas on how to do this ?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Great advice TB :rofl: ;)

I wanna piccy too, i love em!!

If you pretend it hurts you when he nibbles you (even though it might :hug: ) by saying "ouch" in an alarming voice and pulling your hand back it should stop him after a while. This is the way new puppies learn how far to push their biting with their brothers and sisters in the litter. Little puppies are always play biting one another and when it gets too much they give out a little yelp. Your alarming "ouch" is in place of the yelp.

EFS

Edited by Gottalovealab

My pup bites too and its really hard to get him to stop. we tried yelping, saying "no", growling etc but he just gets more excited and thinks youre playing with him. we give him a toy when he bites us to encourage him to eat that instead of us, but it doesnt always work. we tried water spray too, but he loves the water. he also thinks thats a game too and tries to attack the water spray bottle! so i cant offer any advice, but would like to hear advice from others to help me out too!!

You could try a time-out. They worked really well with my puppies. It has to be a reasonable time-out, though. For example, the puppy gets excited and starts mouthing and play-biting. Give one warning, "no biting," in a firm voice. The next time the puppy goes for the chomp, say, "right, time-out," and put the puppy in its bed (or somewhere safe) with a chew toy, for about 30 seconds. No more than a minute because the puppy will forget why it's there. Ignore whinging and screaming. Then, once the time-out is over, just bring the pup back to where it was before as if nothing has happened. Don't make abig deal out of it. The aim is to teach the pup that biting leads to an end of the fun. NOT that it will mean a scary punishment. An end to fun is a great deterrent to a puppy who is living to play! You sound like you have a lovely, happy, curious and very normal puppy!

ETA: An alternative is to simply walk away from the pup as soon as it starts mouthing - kind of a reverse time-out. Return a minute later and try again. Of course, this won't work outside...

Edited by Faolmor

Sounds like a perfectly normal puppy to me..

However if you are wanting to change certain behaviours then there are some really good training books around and you could ask your vet about puppy pre school... Also lots of good advice here on DOL...

Our boy used to do the jumping up thing at food time and he also used to jump up to people. We (or whoever he jumped on) would hold his front paws, firmly but not to hurt him, and say down and put him down at the same time and praise him for being down - takes time and everyone must do it every time he jumps up but it works...

Chewing is something that all pups do (even human babies put everything in their mouths)... I suggest some chicken wire or some kind of barrier around things like trees and gardens to stop that... Give him something he is allowed to chew everytime you catch him chewing something he is not supposed to be chewing and praise him for doing the right thing...

If he starts to dig - which is entirely possible - give him an area where he is allowed to dig... My boy used to have an oversized terracotta pot (layed on its side, on a brick) filled with sand to dig in... To encourage him to dig here we used to put his favourite toys in and peanut butter sandwich pieces...

I agree with you that he is much to small to be on his own outside...

Now the most important thing of all is to post pics of the little munchkin so we can all goo and gaa over him :hug:

Cheers

Jodie

He is doing what a pup/dog should do the only difference is you have to train to allow what things should be encouraged & what shouldnt be.

You have had him for one week it will take up to 12 months to fully understand what is expected.

Not often you come across a vocal BB .The breed thrives on human time & just plough in like a Clydesdale.

Your feed issues is merely training ,if its a problem place puppy outside prepare the food & bring him in so he can learn to sit/wait calmly,once he understands what "words"mean & what he is expected to do he will start to do the right things.

At present you are his new litter mates,he has come from a world of eat,sleep & play now all new owners expect a new criteria which is good ownership but pups need tool to learn & above all all family members need to apply the same rules & skills.

When it comes to play issues its noramlly a case of owners rosuing the dog up but when it no longer fun the humans want it to stop asap but pup hasnt finished.

You need to pick your keys words & you must be consistant

Hi All...

Thankyou for your replies.. Much appreciated.

I have realised just some patience will get you very far with a puppy.

He is a ball... and so energetic for BB. He likes to bark when he gets excited and lick you everywhere which is normal for a BB..

Well.. here are some quick pics

post-14195-1168294371_thumb.jpg

I dont like giving puppies too many toys, makes it too hard for them to distinguish what is theirs and what isnt. All our guys have:

one toy that stays in their crate

one toy that they only play with when I choose (the favourite toy)

one toy that they can keep

For outside destructiveness, try self corrections and things like "crib stop" eta: (dont spray this at the dog - use it to spray things you dont want it to chew, eg:table legs etc)

For inside try some bittering agent in a spray bottle mixed with water.

my mum used to breed bb when I was a kid and I love them heaps, despite what people say, they are intelligent and you can train them quite easily. Make sure you establish the house rules quickly coz if you dont you'll have a lil bulldozer that just trashes the joint!!!!!!!

Edited by WA_dingo_trainer

Hi we have a very bitey puppy! She seems to be able to learn quite quickly. The chew toys are a great idea but only keep them busy for a little while. I think this biting is normal and will pass over time. We hope!

post-14551-1168335016_thumb.jpg

post-14551-1168335028_thumb.jpg

post-14551-1168335036_thumb.jpg

Oh my how we forget :rofl:

Our akita pups drove us mad with the play biting it seemed to go on forever but after a while it stops just like magic ;)

A high pitched squeal and no and chew toys do work.

Just perservere and he will stop.

Those kong's that are blue and have the rubber spikes are great.

Enjoy them they grow up so quick.

Malisa :)

post-4863-1168341200_thumb.jpg

My pup bites too and its really hard to get him to stop. we tried yelping, saying "no", growling etc but he just gets more excited and thinks youre playing with him. we give him a toy when he bites us to encourage him to eat that instead of us, but it doesnt always work. we tried water spray too, but he loves the water. he also thinks thats a game too and tries to attack the water spray bottle! so i cant offer any advice, but would like to hear advice from others to help me out too!!

I know what you are saying Mel, My Mini Dach bites alot when she is playing too and you say "no" but she just takes it as more incentive to bite! Sometimes she even barks back at me as if to say "dont tell me what to do!" Even though she only has little jaws she can still do a fair bit of damage to your hand! When she is in "play mode" you cant even pat her without getting bitten on the hand. I always use the method of saying no and then giving her one of her chew toys instead of my hand. I havent seen any improvement as yet but im sure she will get it, I dont exactly expect her to know straight away (it would be nice though :)) I think its just a matter of keep at it and wait and see.

Just like Mel I have no sure fixes as this is just my first pup but I think you are asking the question for a few people :rofl:

post-14059-1168346865_thumb.jpg