How To Care For Dog In Poor Condition

kamuzz

Could I please have some hints and tips on how to care for this poor lass. She is so thin I'm surprised that her hip bones aren't poking through her skin.

Her coat is horrid too - hard and dull. (would imagine this is just a sympton of her overall condition)

She'll be getting a good bath as soon as I have a day off work.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/alw...ly/CCCROTTY.jpg

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/uploads/po...99019_thumb.jpg

ETA this is her thread in Rescue

Edited by kamuzz

The poor baby. People can be so cruel. :)

I have found chicken wings or carcasses to be good for putting on weight, but remember she will need small meals regularly. Perhaps put her on a puppy dry food and maybe add some fish or fish oil to her food to help her coat. Thank you for caring for this precious girl. :hug:

I perhaps wouldn;t go the puppy but would go a mix of premium dry - maybe the RC Maxi joint one plus the chicken as suggested. Fish oil caps EVERY DAY (2) plus perhaps look at a joint guard additive just to be safe. An egg once or twice a week plus sardines for breakie a few days a week might help.

As for the bath - can you do her after work and dry her insiderather than make her wait? if she is dirty and itchy a bath ASAP would be a blessed relief I'm sure....

She is gorgeous and thankyou for taking her in . Put the weight on slowly buy giving her lots of little feeds, lots of love and a good bath and she'll have a smile on her face in no time.

Ohhhh the poor thing :hug::) I agree with whoever it was who said give her lots of smaller meals, twice or even 3 times a day if you can manage it. Her poor stomach probably wont cope with large meals otherwise.

I would be giving her a super premium & perhaps some chicken wings or carcasses as someone else mentioned or maybe even some lamb flaps as they are good for putting on weight too, I would also be adding some livermol & some Omega 3 oil or similar to her food to bring back the coat condition.

Hope she's well on her way to a new & happy life soon, good luck with her :hug: .

EFS.

Edited by MrsD

Sarah Stafford was a pretty sad and skinny dog when she came to us , from the pound. :)

I'd get her checked by your vet, just to clear her of any obvious illness and then some good quality food, worming, a few baths in a quality medicated shampoo, get rid of any fleas, check and clean her ears and then plenty of love and attention , will soon put her right.

I think the attention works wonders :hug:

Worm her

Fish oil caps daily

chunky bones or chicken wings to help clean her teeth

a dolop of plain yoghurt in her dinner every night

1 raw egg in her dinner twice a week

a tablespoon of ground/pured green leafy veges in her dinner every night

meat and dry biscuit

you can also try supplements if you think she is lacking vitamins etc... but i think after a few weeks of eating properly and sleeping well and a bit of love she will be as good as new

good on you for taking her and giving her this chance

Thanks for the suggestions.

She has just finished her dinner two nights in a row - 4 cups of SuperCoat (fed wet).

This morning she had two cups for breakfast, and didn't quite finish it but have a feeling that tomorrow morning might be different.

Can't manage three feeds a day with work unfortunately.

Vet check on the agenda for Saturday, and will have to wait for then for a wormer. (Don't think I should give her Sentinel until she has been heart wormed tested?)

Might try bathing her tomorrow morning before work if the weather is fine.

Need more information on the fish oil please

- what sort

- how much

- where's should I get it from

Got the beginnings of a tail wag from her tonight when I came home, which is a good sign.

Kamuzz,

I would worm first and foremost. If she is wormy no amount of food will make any difference.

I would feed a Super Premium food such as Eukanuba Performance or Proplan Performance which both contain 30% protein and 20% fat (much higher than normal adult foods) and you can actually get her to eat less bulk and still put on weight. They also contain top nutrition for dogs which are working or for one reason or another need better nutrients. These foods also contain the Omega and fish oils which you were asking about.

What are her droppings like?

If she doesn't put some weight on visibly using the above foods within about 10 days, I would get her tested for other health issues.

Edited by Scales of Justice

hey kamuzz, i will be at the DIY in castle hill this weekend. i could give her a good bath for you :laugh: its $20.

Will remember that if it is raining tomorrow / Friday. They have driers, don't they?

sure do. would love to meet this girl too!

Vet check on the agenda for Saturday, and will have to wait for then for a wormer. (Don't think I should give her Sentinel until she has been heart wormed tested?)

if its only a few days before a vet check i would wait to worm her. if she is heartworm positive and she has a worming tablet it might cause some complications.

i can give you some drontal all wormers if i see you at the DIY

Hookworm and Whipworm are not readily visible in droppings. Don't rely on visual examination. They also don't always have diarrhoea or visible symptoms with worms, especially if with adult tapeworm.

I would also be worried about the risk of passing worms onto my other dogs. Worming (not heartworm treatment) would be my first port of call. If she were to be infested with hookworm, while she is not treated she may put hookworm eggs into your soil and once there, it would be a big problem for any dogs on the property for the future.

I took a very skinny foster into my vets to weigh her and my vet suggested a premium dry puppy food. I was able to feed her 3 to 4 very small meals a day and it worked really well.

She had already been wormed and heartworm tested before I got her.

Edited by Scarlet