Help! Out Of Control German Shepherd

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the breeder should have advised you on what sort of commitments a GSD needs. I know many people who get these dogs are not fully aware of how much work and attention they will need. We had one and it was full on, with training, walking him, attention etc and we still had problems. When you have a new baby you won't have the energy or the time to spend with the dog so the problems will get even worse. I think police work would be a good alternative as they train them and keep them mentally occupied too so thats a good suggestion.

And by the way, for all the work they are I doubt I'll ever get a different type of dog again after owning a GSD - unless it's maybe a Mal smile.gif

eww why would you go and get an ugly tan looking rat dog :rofl:

Bullygirl have you been able to find someone who will help you train your pooch?

Bullygirl have you been able to find someone who will help you train your pooch?

Thanks Jeff. I was just back-tracking through some threads I wanted to follow-up on and this was one of them.

I too am interested, BG, as to what you plan to do and how you are getting on.

Bully Girl

the sum total of my GSD experience comes from living with a GSD cross ridgeback. He is now 5 and a half and has really only been what I would call civilised enough for proper company for the last three years. Up until he was about 2 and a half, maybe 3, he was lovably insane. A giant, extremely intelligent, hyperactive nutjob who was alot of work to keep occupied. I gather this is fairly normal. he was just the average, hormone charged teenager who was so excited at everything new he discovered and so large and energetic that he took alot of handling. He was (still is) a total charmer who loves human contact and pines if he's locked outside, that was when he got destructive. He was becoming too much hard work to take anywhere so I bit the bullet and took him to obedience three times a week (two of those classes were with only about 3 other dogs so quite personalised) plus commenced flyball with him. On the other three days of the week, we had major ball chucking games, soccer matches (he's a great goalie) and just spent alot of time hanging around together. He used to bark at night as I had intended him to sleep outside. I had to bring him inside and this stopped the night barking. He just wanted to be closer to me. Leaving him to entertain himself (in the early years) was similar to what you have described. Laundry getting pulled down, holes getting dug and so on. He now gets alot more of my time and is much more civilised for it. I have to emphasise that even though I had not at the time heard of NILIF or TOT, what I did with him was along the lines of these programmes and it was an enormous help. It was really nice when I finally found DOL and saw these programmes written up and could give a name to the stuff I had been doing at home on my own. I'm glad I worked it out and I'm lucky I did it right I guess. It really cemented me as the leader and he is now comfortable with that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't give up. He might be a nutty teenager for a while yet so evaluate whether you can give him the intensive time and brain exercising attention he is craving. I know youa re too far for a fomal obedience class but there's no reason why you cant do the activities yourself. Oh, and I can't agree more about the crate training. it is a lifesaver. The dog can be inside with you (what he wants) but is safely contained in a crate which, if you train it properly, is a place he will want to be. I would recommend you get him desexed too. Regardless of what the vet said, he should calm down a little and he doesn't need them, now does he?

good luck and post some pics of him when you get a spare minute.

Jo

Hi Bullygirl,

I really hope that you haven't tuned out due to the reception you recieved. I would just like to remind people that generally when someone asks for help and feels at their wits end you are already feeling very low and somewhat hopeless. If you were seeking assistance for counselling or advice would you return if the counsellor treated you this way?? I would think not. While I'm not suggeesting this is a counselling service this was used purely as an example, I would just like people to remember that a message is better recieved if given in a kind way rather than being told off! And it's sometime difficult to differenitate on a computer screen so choose you words carefully.

Good luck with your boy, he sounds like he has a wonderful heart.

Heidley - as a VERY new member with 2 posts to your name I'm not sure you should be lecturing DOL'ers on etiquette......and quite frankly the best therapists/counsellors (to use your example) don't blow smoke up the arses of their clientele - they give them well thought out opinions - even if the patients don't want to hear it.

Frankly having read the whole thread I think people have been very civilised in their responses to the OP - some perhaps more direct than others but all with the dog's best interests at heart.

As a former owner/breeder and trainer of GSD's I agree with those that have said the dog is not suited to the household and frankly should be rehomed. As for the OP I would NOT get a replacement animal until the new baby is no longer the entire focus on the hosuehold - not fair on the dog and you will end up with a like situation.

Heidley - as a VERY new member with 2 posts to your name I'm not sure you should be lecturing DOL'ers on etiquette......

I would disagree, FFAK. Heidley may be a new member, but is probably as capable as anyone else here of recognising when posts are appropriate or not. Regardless, it is Heidley's opinion and is entitled to it.

Just as you are entitled to your opinion stating :-

I agree with those that have said the dog is not suited to the household and frankly should be rehomed.

I think you'll find the more expert you are the more you'll realise this sort of advice cannot in all fairness to either the dog or dog's owner, be given without reserve via base internet knowledge.

Of course, if it's not advice and is just your opinion ... then that's a different matter and is fine. :)

My opinion is - engage a behaviourist.

Advice would then come from the behaviourist.

Erny, this is becoming a real Habit as again I have to agree with you 100%!!!

:) Yes - it's been occurring a fair bit over a number of threads. We must be careful. People will think there's something "going on" and we'll lose our credibility!!!! :)

ummm what is going on between Erny and tonymc??

Haven, Erny, tonymc, i am happy for you to share the gossip via PM :)

otherwise tomorrow at Berwick i am going to hound you with my bouncing rotty Erny!!! LOL

by the way ON TOPIC i really hope that Bully girl can find professional dog training help, s/he have bared their soul and worn their heart on their sleeve,

to me that shows determination :)

i hate to sound cliched but where there's a will and all that ... :worship:

otherwise tomorrow at Berwick i am going to hound you with my bouncing rotty Erny!!! LOL

Sorry BG .... but this is :) again ................

Oonga ..... not at ADT Berwick tomorrow. "Bouncy Rotty hounding" will have to wait!!! I look forward to it though.

Oh - and if you're thinking about ADT Boronia, listen out for the weather forecast (ie observe "heat policy") as Boronia training could be cancelled.

ON TOPIC - I don't know that BG has returned here. If she has, I hope she is heartened by some of the posts here that wish to help her plight.

Erny,

thanks for the reminder, but i am working sunday 7 - 3 so wouldn't be able to make it to boronia anyway :)

i am hoping that Bully girl is going to just come here in a month or so and give us this wonderful update of all the positive changes and obstacles she has overcome with her GSD :)

i love happy endings :worship: and i truely feel there is a definite happy one for bully girl :worship: