Sock Swallowing

Hello all,

My labrador truly lives up to the lab stereotype and eats anything and everything that can physically be swallowed. He's currently at the vet where they are inducing vomiting because he swallowed one of my brother's large gym socks (and we don't want to risk it getting stuck and the consequential surgery). This is the 3rd time this has happened. I am super diligent about not leaving my socks around and also do a check of the house before I let Spencer inside to see if anything has been left out however, I live with my 18 year old brother who no matter how often you ask/plead/yell at him, he still leaves his socks lying around. I suspect this is not an unusual trait for an adolescent male. Spencer has a wonderful leave it command but to use it I have to be able to get the words out of my mouth before he swallows and this is not an easy task.

Does anyone have any ideas on any training I could do that would help Spencer control his sock eating urges? I feel like a bit of a failure of a pet parent at the moment :(

I think you need to train your 18 year old brother and giving him the vet bill might help with that!

I'm hoping Spencer brings up the offending item easily and quickly.

Hopefully other people who have had experience with this will be along to help you soon.

perhaps fit Spencer with a nice soft plastic muzzle ? I did this with one of my dogs after surgery for a foreign body .. he wore it most of the time for about 12 mths ;) ( apart from playing/training/eating bones etc )

also either have some way of stopping the dog getting into your brother's room?

I also agree in giving teh bill to your brother!

Agree with passing the bill on.

The muzzle is a good idea too.

Could you also perhaps give your dog a few bad experiences with socks to deter him, like lacing one, that you deliberately leave out, with a bitterant or something?

Agree with passing the bill on.

The muzzle is a good idea too.

Could you also perhaps give your dog a few bad experiences with socks to deter him, like lacing one, that you deliberately leave out, with a bitterant or something?

and having a REALLY long string on it in case he eats it anyway???

I have found that the only way to make someone responsible for their own actions is when they will have to foot the bill for being careless.

Give your brother the bill to pay each and every time he is responsible for Spencer needing to see the vet - he'll soon get over having to shell out the money.

T.

Thanks guys. Passing the bill onto my brother is a great idea but he genuinely doesn't have the cash in the bank to pay for it so thats not an option. This is the first time he has actually seen how quickly Spencer can dive in there and grab them so hopefully he has a better understanding of how careful he needs to be from now on.

FYI Spencer is home safe and well :)

Thanks guys. Passing the bill onto my brother is a great idea but he genuinely doesn't have the cash in the bank to pay for it so thats not an option. This is the first time he has actually seen how quickly Spencer can dive in there and grab them so hopefully he has a better understanding of how careful he needs to be from now on.

FYI Spencer is home safe and well :)

he can pay it off. that's what YOU'D have to do with the vet if you didn't have the money up front.

I think you need to train your 18 year old brother and giving him the vet bill might help with that!

This. It's not the dog that needs training!

This makes me think of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon trains Penny using operant conditioning... I think I have a plan!

This. It's not the dog that needs training!

This makes me think of the Big Bang Theory episode where Sheldon trains Penny using operant conditioning... I think I have a plan!

Meh - go for full negative reinforcment. :whip:

I had an aussie that had a obsession for pills and had many a rushed trip to the vet. He finally told me to keep washing soda crystal on hand and use those at home to induce vomiting. Worked a treat and saved me many a trip to the vet

Ultra hot chilli sauce on the socks?

If your brother refuses to learn to pick up after himself, I'd be putting all kinds of nasty things in his socks such as Spencer's poop, chilli sauce, Tabasco sauce etc. Eventually when he does pick them up, they might have an ewww factor to them being covered in crap.

Failing that, start throwing them in the bin every time you find a pair lying around. Eventually he'll have no socks left!

Leaving socks lying around is not an unusual thing to do. I have always taken off my shoes and put my socks in them or on top of them.

Plus, this time it is socks, next time it mat be something even more dangerous, as such I think people concentrating on your brother is the wrong approach.Hopefully someone can offer some useful advice in regards to what you can do with the Lab.

Leaving socks lying around is not an unusual thing to do. I have always taken off my shoes and put my socks in them or on top of them.

Plus, this time it is socks, next time it mat be something even more dangerous, as such I think people concentrating on your brother is the wrong approach.Hopefully someone can offer some useful advice in regards to what you can do with the Lab.

Stopping dogs eating abnormal items does start with eliminating their access to what they are attracted to. In some cases they may decide change what they are eating, or they may grow out of the habit.

Cage muzzle, cleaning up and monitoring is the place to start.

All items on the ground insta-binned, make him contribute something to the vet bill and perhaps put something smelly in your brothers clean socks to give him a wake up call :p