Huskies Maul Dog Owner's Jack Russell To Death In Savage Attack

The Spotted Devil

Huskies maul dog owner's Jack Russell to death in savage attack

Megan Levy

January 3, 2011 - 1:02PM

A woman watched on in horror as two runaway huskies mauled her pet dog to death during a savage attack in Melbourne's outer north yesterday.

Karen Foote said she was walking her Jack Russell Terrier, Joysie, on an oval in Westmeadows yesterday afternoon when the two huskies approached from behind and lunged without warning.

Ms Foote, from Attwood, attempted to pick up Joysie, who was covered in saliva and blood and was squealing in pain.

But she was also bitten on the arm and was forced to run when she feared the dogs would attack her further.

"I went to try and pick [Joysie] up again because she was so distressed and she was just covered in saliva and blood, and one of the dogs grabbed her foot and just pulled her out of my hands again," Ms Foote told radio 3AW.

"I knew she'd pretty well died at that stage. She had stopped squealing and it crossed my mind that those dogs might attack me next and I just ran, I ran, and I screamed."

Bystanders rushed to Ms Foote's aid but were unable to save seven-year-old Joysie, who had already died.

One man followed the two huskies for several kilometres to a home, and reported to the address to police.

Ms Foote wept as she described how the dogs had approached her from behind and pulled Joysie out of her arms.

"I thought 'I need to pick my dog up', but just as I was picking her up one of the dogs attacked her. Straight away she just immediately fell out of my hands and the other dog was at the back of me and I was in the middle of it and they were just biting at her. It was all very savage."

Ms Foote sought medical treatment for a bite to her hand, and was given a tetanus shot and antibiotics.

She said police had taken photographs as evidence and had spoken to the owners about the incident, before passing the matter over to Hume City Council.

She said Joysie was named after her father-in-law's wife, who died several years ago.

Ms Foote said it was not up to her to decide whether the dogs were destroyed, but she feared the dogs' next victim could be a child.

"I've always felt safe walking dogs around here because everyone walks their dogs and I've always felt safe but now I don't," Ms Foote said.

"I just think they've attacked my dog ...and it could be a child next time, that's the scary thing."

Original article here

Some questionable reactions ("screaming") and comments ("it could be a child next time") but very sad nonetheless.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huskies maul dog owner's Jack Russell to death in savage attack

Megan Levy

January 3, 2011 - 1:02PM

A woman watched on in horror as two runaway huskies mauled her pet dog to death during a savage attack in Melbourne's outer north yesterday.

Karen Foote said she was walking her Jack Russell Terrier, Joysie, on an oval in Westmeadows yesterday afternoon when the two huskies approached from behind and lunged without warning.

Ms Foote, from Attwood, attempted to pick up Joysie, who was covered in saliva and blood and was squealing in pain.

But she was also bitten on the arm and was forced to run when she feared the dogs would attack her further.

"I went to try and pick [Joysie] up again because she was so distressed and she was just covered in saliva and blood, and one of the dogs grabbed her foot and just pulled her out of my hands again," Ms Foote told radio 3AW.

"I knew she'd pretty well died at that stage. She had stopped squealing and it crossed my mind that those dogs might attack me next and I just ran, I ran, and I screamed."

Bystanders rushed to Ms Foote's aid but were unable to save seven-year-old Joysie, who had already died.

One man followed the two huskies for several kilometres to a home, and reported to the address to police.

Ms Foote wept as she described how the dogs had approached her from behind and pulled Joysie out of her arms.

"I thought 'I need to pick my dog up', but just as I was picking her up one of the dogs attacked her. Straight away she just immediately fell out of my hands and the other dog was at the back of me and I was in the middle of it and they were just biting at her. It was all very savage."

Ms Foote sought medical treatment for a bite to her hand, and was given a tetanus shot and antibiotics.

She said police had taken photographs as evidence and had spoken to the owners about the incident, before passing the matter over to Hume City Council.

She said Joysie was named after her father-in-law's wife, who died several years ago.

Ms Foote said it was not up to her to decide whether the dogs were destroyed, but she feared the dogs' next victim could be a child.

"I've always felt safe walking dogs around here because everyone walks their dogs and I've always felt safe but now I don't," Ms Foote said.

"I just think they've attacked my dog ...and it could be a child next time, that's the scary thing."

Original article here

Some questionable reactions ("screaming") and comments ("it could be a child next time") but very sad nonetheless.

Seriously, what would you do if two dogs, out of the blue attacked you dog without any provocation? I don't find the description of 'screaming' questionable. Admittedly, it's up to the owner to make sure the dogs are in their own backyard not roaming, and it's the dogs that will have to bear the consequences, probably euthanasia but people, including children should be able to enjoy the great outdoors without being attacked. I am hoping that you are not sympathizing with these two huskies. The problem is that people get certain breeds as a status symbol and don't know how to handle them or understand their needs. Owners should be licenced, not the dogs.

I am hoping that you are not sympathizing with these two huskies.

I sympathise with everyone - and dog - involved in attacks like these. It's horrible for everyone involved - the owner of the dead dog, the dog that had to die in such a horrific manner, and yes, the two huskies. It's not the dogs fault that they were saddled with an irresponsible owner, but they will now be the ones to take the blame for it (with their lives, most likely).

I am hoping that you are not sympathizing with these two huskies.

I sympathise with everyone - and dog - involved in attacks like these. It's horrible for everyone involved - the owner of the dead dog, the dog that had to die in such a horrific manner, and yes, the two huskies. It's not the dogs fault that they were saddled with an irresponsible owner, but they will now be the ones to take the blame for it (with their lives, most likely).

Exactly, and that's why owners should be the ones to require a licence, not the dog.

Poor little dog and poor lady. Not something that she is going to get over in a hurry, if ever.

I screamed my lungs out when a dog attacked Brock with the intent of killing him. Mainly to attract help. It worked the owners ran out and got the dog off.

... Would you not scream if your dog had just been ripped from your arms and was being savaged by a pair of larger dogs? I've certainly screamed my lungs out to attract attention/help when approached by an aggressive dog trying to get at mine!

Scream ? you'd hear me into next week :-(

One of our dogs got hold of one of the farm cats and the neighbours a mile away could hear me.

That poor woman and her wee dog, and those poor huskies - not their fault they are loose and doing bad things.

fifi

... Would you not scream if your dog had just been ripped from your arms and was being savaged by a pair of larger dogs? I've certainly screamed my lungs out to attract attention/help when approached by an aggressive dog trying to get at mine!

Please read the posts. It's not like it's a long thread. I clarified that it was understandable just not ideal. Perhaps it may have aggravated the situation. And no, I'm not defending the dogs that attacked.

Goodness! Don't read too deep people :cheer:

Well the comment "questionable reaction "Screaming" is pretty clear, if you weren't making light of it you wouldn't have said it and I'm not reading too much into this - it's straightforward language comprehension, nothing complex.

I'd be screaming and attempting to kick the ---- out of any dog doing that to mine. And then I'd see the owners in court, not something you'd get over in a hurry, probably NEVER. A much loved pet ripped to pieces, such savagery - yes the owners are responsible but the dogs should be euthanased as well, who knows if they've done it before but they certainly can't be allowed to ever do it again.

With regards to her other questionable reaction, she probably thought that if a child was trying to protect their pet against these vicious animals then he/she may be attacked as well. It does happen. I know dog to dog aggression doesn't normally translate to people aggression but this lady actually got bitten during the event, it could have been much worse though for a child.

Huskies are known for high prey drives, the owners need shooting. You can adopt them from pet shops, like Malamutes and probably don't even know what you are doing.

Thank God for the man that followed them home. In a close suburb to me, it took rangers months and months to track down two huskies that were responsible for the countless deaths of innocent cats and dogs and probable wildlife during night time raids into the neighbourhood.

Please read the posts. It's not like it's a long thread. I clarified that it was understandable just not ideal. Perhaps it may have aggravated the situation. And no, I'm not defending the dogs that attacked.

Goodness! Don't read too deep people :cheer:

The trouble is with these sorts of news items, someone will invariably come in and say these sorts of things, TSD. So your dog is being ripped to pieces, you are in the middle of it and you are supposed to think cooly and rationally and say to yourself: now I mustn't scream or do anything that will aggravate the attackers further. They are poor dogs who have been unlucky enough to have a bad owner and it isn't their fault they are killing my dogs and biting me. Poor dogs, I must just stay calm, wait for them to kill my dog and then pat them and say, poor doggies, I feel so sorry for you.

FFS. Get real. There are bad people, bad dogs, bad cats, bad anything.

Poor JRT :cheer:

I would scream to get help if i needed it. When 2 dogs tried to kill one of mine i didn't scream because me and OH were there to do what we needed to do. Sickening, heartbreaking and horrific- and our dog lived.

Was there an owner present or were these roaming dogs? :cheer: It's not a very well written article.

Huskies are known for high prey drives, the owners need shooting. You can adopt them from pet shops, like Malamutes and probably don't even know what you are doing.

As are Jack Russels.

I always thought screaming and making lots of noise was one of the recommended reactions during a dog attack - in the hope the noise might frighten them and stop the attack. A bit hard when there are two attackers though.

I would absolutely scream the loudest I could if roaming dogs ever attempted to do this to myself or my dogs. I would have no sympathy at all for the attackers and would ask for them to be destroyed. Nice, lovely dogs are destroyed every day in this country in pounds that have never commited such acts of aggression. Why on earth keep dogs that pose a threat to other people's safety? Dogs do escape from yards but most don't ever behave like this. Poor woman and poor jack russell.

Was there an owner present or were these roaming dogs? :cheer: It's not a very well written article.

There was some mention on the television news tonight that the council had actually accidently caused them to escape by damaging the fence during some work they were doing outside the property. According to the report I saw they were only out for ten minutes then came back and the owners had no idea what they had done and of course are very sorry.

A sad situation for all concerned.

Edited by LabTested

Gosh, if thats the case wouldn't you just be livid at the council. I know many dogs who could get into the same situation in the event they got out of their yards without their owners. :cheer:

I would be absolutely FUMING!!! And would be FURIOUS if my dogs were seized or PTS due to the council's incompetence.

If that is the case then the dogs shouldn't be put to sleep. As long as there have been no other incidents of the dogs being out.

I had never seen the guard dog that attacked me out before. When I was asked what I wanted to do about it that is what swayed me. Yes the decision on what to do about the dog was put on me. Not nice.

A very sad incident for everyone involved. I really do hope that the huskies aren't PTS (assuming of course that since they were accidentally released by council that they have never attacked before).