Follow Up On My 2 Bitten Pups

jeddica

Hi Everyone

Its been a crazy week with the pups hence why I havent been on!

on sunday after we took our pups to the vet they got put on drips and although we didnt have enough money for antivemon our vet was AWESOME. he gave us 2 vials of out of date antivenom (from the hospital) which one of the vet nurses went and picked up for us. this antivenom is the same as in date antivenom except it cannot be used on humans so vets often get it for free, hence they can pass it onto there customers.

We were so stoked, detroit (our girl) responded really well to the antivenom but rambo (our boy) didnt as much. Both were pretty out of it for monday and we didnt know if they would pull though. unfortunetly our little boy passed away on tuesday morning. his muscles had just had enough and he couldnt go on. so its been extemely sad in our house this week.

But im glad to say our girl is doing FANASTIC! she got back from the vet today, she is walking (still wobbly and gets very tired) sitting up, eatting drinking and barking! she has lost alot of weight but has a big appietate so vet said she will put it on fast. alot of intensive care for the next week or so.

thank you to all how have prayed and though of our pups over this week and to all who have not been so supportive i dont really care what you think, you dont really know us or our situation, the people who are not supportive and caring and who choose to leave rude comments are the ones who make me sick!

we have now gotten pet insurance for rocky and detroit so if anything happens in the future it can be covered. we also learnt ALOT about snake bites over the past week so we now know what to execpt if its to happen again.

Already way ahead of you!

we have vials of Vit C the vet gave us =) im really proud of her she is doing really well, when we brought her home she was weeing while laying down but now she will get up if she needs the toilet and he wee is all clear now (it had myoglobin (sorry cant spell) in it on monday which it was vital for her recovery to have that cleared up which it did on wednesday.)

oh thats great about detroit and very sorry about rambo! poor little bloke

I was quite disgusted by all of the comments you recieved as well, sometimes in high stress situations like these you never know what choices you will make. But looks like you made a good one to keep fighting! And people who leave comments like those have no right ESPECIALLY when they dont know the full story. There they are going on and on about you not receiving antivenom and all the time you were. Good on you!

And good luck for little detroit i hope she keeps on fighting and pulling through :(

morning!

detroit is getting better everyday, she refuses to wee while laying down now and waits at the door until i let her out for a wee and poos. she is getting stronger and growls at our other pup when she comes to close! i will keep updating on her progess over the next week. Im so proud of her..... we just need to get her fattened up again now!

oh thats great about detroit and very sorry about rambo! poor little bloke

I was quite disgusted by all of the comments you recieved as well, sometimes in high stress situations like these you never know what choices you will make. But looks like you made a good one to keep fighting! And people who leave comments like those have no right ESPECIALLY when they dont know the full story. There they are going on and on about you not receiving antivenom and all the time you were. Good on you!

And good luck for little detroit i hope she keeps on fighting and pulling through :(

That is untrue. The dogs were not receiving anti-venom from the start.

The OP wrote the following in her posts: Dog 1 was found foaming at the mouth, they didnt think to much of it until later when they found other dog with bite marks, then the dogs couldnt stand up, were weak, third eyelid closed over etc.

The OP took the dogs to the vet, but couldnt afford anti-venom. The vet said it must have been a baby snake that bit them otherwise they would have been dead within 20 minutes (what a load of bollocks for a vet to say that).

The vet put them in a cold bath to bring down their temp and they were sent home on a drip. Vet said if they make it 16 hours they would recover fully with no effects.

Next day the OP posts and says in the last 15 minuters, the dogs have gone down hill and are completely paralysed, and was going back to the vet.

All the advice given on here was to give the dogs anti-venom, because they wouldnt have a chance otherwise, the OP stated she couldnt afford it.

And now she tells us the vet gave them out of date anti-venom for free (the next day), and this pulled dog number one through, but the other dog died. (an agonising death no doubt)

It all reeks of inconsistencies and neglect of the dogs. I certainly wouldnt be sitting at the computer and posting saying my dogs were paralysed. I would be at the vets.

Why wouldnt the vet give you free anti-venom when you first bought the dogs in? :D

Now one dog is dead, how sad.

I am not going to get into the flaming nor will I defend the OP, it is pointless.

I would like to say though that not all Vets have access to the out of date product, and if there is more than one Vet in a town then chances are all bar one will miss out on it anyway. It is simply not always available.

It is also up to the hospital to decide if they will hand it over as well.