Licking Each Other In The Mouth.

Hi guys. :(

I have a quick question that i thought some of you knowledgeable DOLers might know the answer to.

Just recently (like the last couple of weeks) Bomber and Ellie have started licking each other in the mouths. Drives me batty :( so i always put a stop to it straight away but i was wondering if it means anything at all? ;) Generally Ellie is the instigator, just walks straight up to B while he is on his matt and starts licking him in the mouth.

Any suggestion's as to why they're doing it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Its gross isnt it? ;)

My 2 do it with each other as well, mainly Minty will go up to Charlie and start licking him in the mouth, and he often does it to her when she is ignoring him.

I have no idea why they do it, but it drives poor Charlie up the wall when its being done to him. :(

Hey mine do this sometimes usually if one of thems eaten something yummy like cat poo or something like that :(

Yeah i thought that maybe they just like the taste of each other :)

But having said that i think there might be something else to it, only because they have done it before when they were getting a pat ;) And never after food mostly when B's relaxing & El should be to. It's just weird. :(

My little girl also does this at the dog park but only to certain dogs i assumed it was submission as well but the funny thing is she only seems to do it to dogs she likes as well, if they are unfamiliar or just scary she just rolls over on her back

Oscar does it all the time to our greys (he's the young pup) plus the ear licking too (which we try to discourage as we don't want ear infections). They both put up with it.

He does however, bite their face and feet to get them to play - that is annoying.

Shiloh does this to Ryder all the time .... she tries with Cooper but he hates it and grumbles at her (in which she tries to do it more LOL)

Doesn't bother me, just dogs being dogs ;)

I believe it's a sign of submission (by the licker) to a more dominant dog.

Could be wrong though :(

Gross??

No..It's dogs behaving like dogs.

I understood it to be the action of a subordinate to a superior...similar to what puppies do to their dam,as a precursor to her regurgitating food for them...

Why you would stop it,I don't know ....

My little girl also does this at the dog park but only to certain dogs i assumed it was submission as well
I've been lead to believe the same thing,my girl does it at obedience when greeting another dog

Okay so general consensus is that it is a sign of submission. Makes complete sense to me (although i had heard the opposite ie it's dominance) as B is definitely the boss. :(

Persephone in regards to this

Why you would stop it,I don't know ....

I stop it because it would go on forever if i didn't. ;) Should i not be stopping it and just letting them carry on? What would the reason be to let them do this? Genuine questions. I'm quite intrigued by this behaviour. :)

Hi,

My dominant ACD does this to my submissive Lab all the time. If it is a submissive thing I can't figure it out. :worship:

This is the only time I ever hear my Lab growl. :cry: When I hear the growl I know exactly what is going on and stop it. Lab will sit there and not move. Maybe she is waiting for me to intervene. :laugh:

At least I know I am head of the pack. :thumbsup:

Cheers

When my dog does it to one of my fosters it seems like more of a dominance thing. Maybe the licking in itself is not necessarily dominance or submission but dependant on all the other dynamics going on in the interactions between the dogs.