My 15yo Gsd Is In Hospital Tonight

I know this probably belongs in another section like Health, but I tend to frequent the training section more and therefore ask for some healing thoughts from those who may care.

I am beside myself tonight as my 15 year old GSD (yes he's an old boy) is in hospital tonight and is not doing very well at all. He's been losing weight over the last few weeks but I simply put it down to his activity level when around the kelpies, so I tried increasing his food intake but this failed to put weight on him.

As most know, it's been stinking hot here in Melbourne over the last few days and he suddenly became very lethargic, vomiting and stopped eating. I initially put it down to the heat for the first day and thought that he'd be okay but he got progressively worse.

He has a lump around his rib area which he's had for years. I had a biopsy done on it last year and it came back as a fatty lump which was nothing to worry about. But I did notice that there are another set of smaller lumps growing around and "behind" the larger lump which don't feel right. He is also demonstrating some pain in that area.

He's wobbly when standing, seems extremely disoriented...sort of "spaced out" and not very responsive to his name. So I decided it was time for a vet check. At this stage they are keeping in for overnight observation and are pumping him with some fluids. They will be running some bloods and other tests to try and find what the problem is.

I haven't stopped crying all afternoon as I fear the worst....and I hope I am wrong. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

I think this really serves to remind us just how precious our pets are and how we should treasure each minute with them.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks heaps guys.

I just rang to check on him and they tell me he is "comfortable" but still not taking food. They haven't run the tests as yet. The place is a 24 hour emergency vet so I take comfort in knowing that there will be someone with him overnight.

Spotted Devil, did your dogs show the same symptoms? How long before they were back to normal?

Thanks heaps guys.

I just rang to check on him and they tell me he is "comfortable" but still not taking food. They haven't run the tests as yet. The place is a 24 hour emergency vet so I take comfort in knowing that there will be someone with him overnight.

Spotted Devil, did your dogs show the same symptoms? How long before they were back to normal?

Poor lad - hope he's on the mend soon....some fluids will help him no end and make him feel so much better.

Unfortunately, kelpie-i, both my oldies left this world a few summers ago. However, my ACD was 17 and my Burmese cat was 18 and had led wonderful, full lives. With my ACD, she had a pre-existing condition (liver cancer) that we were completely unaware of that became known after a heat wave. She became acutely ill and I made the only decision I could and gave her her wings. With my dearest cat, there was nothing specifically wrong with her but old age. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

It's been amazing to watch the youngsters in the house just going with the flow the last few days - yeh, it's hot and muggy but they just stretch out and sleep through it.

Will be thinking of you and the dear gentleman, kelpie-i :D

Kelpie-i is going to call the Vet soon to see if she can pick her boy up from them soon. Looking forward to and hoping for some good news and results from the blood tests that have been taken.

Good luck, Trish and Bud !! Hope all proves well for the ol' (but spunky) codger :cheer:.

ETA: Honestly, this guy is 15 years old but absolutely great for his age .... you wouldn't know him to be the years that he is.

Edited by Erny

Hugs to you hun :cheer:

I hope your beautiful boy is ok and that he makes a full recovery :) He sounds like a special fellow :wave:

15 for a GSD is quite an achievment :cheer:

Good luck with the results, Sending lots of good thoughts and healing vibes to you and your beautiful boy :cheer::)

Please update us with how he is doing :rofl: