Can't Choose From A Few Dry Foods

Well after looking up lots of different dry foods for my future German Shepherd pup, I'm quite keen on:

~ Royal Canin German Shepherd

~ Dr. Vick Patterns Natural Balance

The only downfall is they are both quite expensive, but it's not like I CANT afford them

A couple of people have told me Advance is a pretty good 'affordable' brand, but I don't like how corn is in the first 4 ingredients.

Royal Canin and the Natural Balance have no by-products, corn, corn gluten meal, or grains and cereals that look bad, so I would feel quite happy feeding them.

Does anyone feed either of these good brands, and have good results, and am I way better off feeding one of those 2 instead of Advance if I can afford it?

Thanks!

ive had the same promblem deciding in the last few weeks aswell, my pup was on advance puppy plus but she didnet like it, after some reserch ive jsut got a bag of inova evo puppy plus, it was only about $6 more expensive then the advance.

I used to feed Royal Canine before switching to a raw diet.

Some of the range is better than others, the one I have fed Cherry my elderly dog has maize as the first ingredient so I wasn't too impressed and have now changed her over to a better food. Having said that, my dogs did fine on RC and I don't think it's a bad food.

The other brands I would look at would be Artemis and Eagle Pack, Artemis is not any more expensive than Royal Canin but IMO is a better quality food.

ETA: For example - the Royal Canin I was feeding Cherry (small dog mature) has the following ingredients:

Maize, dehydrated poultry meat, maize flour, maize

gluten, rice, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, vegetable oils (soya, borage), egg powder, yeast, fish oil, minerals, fructo-oligosaccharides, sodium polyphosphate, DL-methionine, green tea and grape

extracts (rich in polyphenols), L-carnitine.

The Artemis equivalent:

Chicken, Turkey,Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal,Pearled Barley, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat ( preserved with mixed tocopherols),Oatmeal, Millet, Pototoes, Dried Egg, Tomato Pomace,Salmon,Flaxseed,Natural Chicken Flavour,Choline Chloride,Dried Chicory root,Glucosamine Hydrocloride, Taurine,Chondroitin Sulfate, Kelp, Carrots, Peas,Apples, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Spinach, Cranberry Powder, Rosemary Extract, Parsley Flake, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Barley Grass Extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus Faecieum, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Saccharomyces Cerevesiae Fermentation Solubles, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid.
Edited by huski

I havent fed either of those brands but i have heard good reports about Royal Canin. My dogs get completely different diets, Charlotte eats Advance which she does extremely well on, and Zoe gets a range of raw including raw bones and Bonnie Working dog. She does exceptionally well on that food and as long as your dog does well what does it matter what brand you feed.

You need to feed both what your dog does well on and also what is in your budget. My budget used to be smaller but Zoe eats only a quarter dry and the rest raw,offal (kidneys, livers & hearts) and she also gets a little natural yoghurt so her diet is extremely low cost so i can afford an expensive food for Charlotte.

What does the breeder recommend.You should be following there diet chart & changing gradually if you wish.Discuss all diet needs with them at first.

If there a good breeder there diet will be worth its weight in gold

These are the ingredients for the RC German Shepherd Junior food

Ingredients: rice, dehydrated poultry meat, vegetable protein isolate, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, vegetable fibres, minerals, fish oil, egg powder, soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, psyllium husks and seeds, L-lysine, sodium polyphosphate, yeast extract (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), DL-methionine, taurine, hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin).

But I could only find it on the UK RC Site. Does that mean any bag I get here in Aussie will be the saem good ingredients?

----

Thanks settrvlr! I will definately ask what they are feeding, and I will most probably change to RC GSD junior, but of course very gradually over time :rofl: I just love the ingredients

Edited by Shellectra

These are the ingredients for the RC German Shepherd Junior food

Ingredients: rice, dehydrated poultry meat, vegetable protein isolate, animal fats, hydrolysed animal proteins, beet pulp, vegetable fibres, minerals, fish oil, egg powder, soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, psyllium husks and seeds, L-lysine, sodium polyphosphate, yeast extract (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), DL-methionine, taurine, hydrolysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), marigold extract (source of lutein), hydrolysed cartilage (source of chondroitin).

But I could only find it on the UK RC Site. Does that mean any bag I get here in Aussie will be the saem good ingredients?

----

Thanks settrvlr! I will definately ask what they are feeding, and I will most probably change to RC GSD junior, but of course very gradually over time :rofl: I just love the ingredients

Don't choose a food and get set on feeding it just because you like the way it reads, be prepared to find a food that agrees with your dog and that it does well on, you may have to try a few before you end up with your final choice. Be guided by your breeder they will be wealth of knowledge, ask them why they feed the food they do.

Just because a food claims to have all the bells and whistles, doesn't mean it will suit your dog, a food is only as good as it's suitability for your dog.

I have used RC for quite a while and have swapped owners with GSDs onto it. It has done wonders, it was the ONLY food that would keep my rescue GSD in any sort of reasonable condition (even just the large breed food is good too) I have also seen it turn quite a few average or ratty looking dogs into stunners!

I would recommend it over any others, just feed less then what the bag says it tends to get a little carried away with amounts. I also gave them raw meaty bones anyway to keep them happy and keep their teeth clean

I have daire on Proplan breeders pack jsut to confuse the issue

I have known others who feed RC and have had no issue on it

DVP may be too high in protein for a pup

eta go with what your breeder is feeding at least to start with :rofl:

Edited by Flaves

I know a few fantastic breeders who feed pedigree, dogs all do very well on it

stick to the diet the breeder has, and find something and slowly change, as someone said, go by how well the dog does on it

i could feed chum to one of mine and she would still look fantastic, but i have only found 2 dry foods that do the same to my boy.

Basically I think you need to feed the best you can afford. Work out how much you are able to spend on feeding your dog and look at foods in that price range. Buying in bulk (20kg bags) is the best way to go, just make sure you store it in an airtight container. Work out how long that 20kg bag will last you, then work out how much that will cost per week, and put that away, then it will be easier when it comes to buying your next bag of food.

The RC GSD is a great food - and it has the pup/junior version and then the adult, and with the adult they can stay on it until they are old and silly if you decide to stay with it. It tends to be easier to get your hands on too then the other one - but that could just be in and around where i am...lol.

We fed Nutro (original formula from the US) for nearly 8 years.

Since Nutro was "pulled" from the Australian market we have tried Ziwipeak; Origen; Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance and Artemis.

They are now on Artemis and Ziwipeak and we are very pleased with the results. The dry food forms the basis of their diets. :rofl:

I fed both my GSD's on RC GSD and I love it :rofl::rofl: :D

I have many different brands from Supercoat to Eukanuba but like RC GSD the best.

I agree with others to check with the breeder to see what they are feeding and if you want to try something else gradually change to avoid any upset tummies.

All the best

FD

Well I have found out the breeder feeds the pups Eagle Pack! I have ordered a bag of it so that I can continue feeding it, and I'll see how pup goes on it as she grows. Wouldn't mind changing to RC GSD just cos it's a little cheaper, but if she's happy on the Eagle pack I'll just stick to it, even if it is expensive. I'll just reduce the feeding guideline a little as I give her raw meaty bones too I suppose :cry:

Do others feed Eagle Pack too? It IS quite expensive on the pocket it seems LOL.

Also, in regards to airtight containers, I got one of those large rectangle plastic tubs from Sam's Warehouse, with a colored lid that sits over the top, and has a latch on either small end. Would this be 'airtight'?

My young pup has been raised on Eagle pack large/giant puppy Hollistic .Whilst personally i find it does nothing for the coat & was feeding it purely for the growth stage & will in about 6 weeks swap over to my preferred choice.

As for price ,cheaper than the vet bills & i dont feed just dry any way