Puppy Keeps Bringing Snails Inside

bobchic

Mr Fluffy keeps going outside and coming back with a snail!!

He wont eat it but will carry it around and crunch it for a bit (if I don't take it off him earlier). I even found one in my SHOE!! ewww.

I say 'AHT' as soon as I see him with a snail and then take it off him. But then he goes and gets another one lol

Its cute but then I have no idea if the neighbor uses snail bait so I don't really want him eating them.

Other then stopping him going outside, what could I do to prevent him picking them up? Or what could I use to get rid of them from the garden.

And what does everyone do for ant and roach prevention? I want to use a spray or bomb but I don't want to chance Mr Fluffy getting sick. So we are stuck with ants everywhere (incl the carpet!!). And I have bought those roach traps but put them all away when I found Mr Fluffy playing with one.

Am I being over protective? Or is there a product that is pet friendly?

Hi...

snails can be gathered up and dropped in a bucket of salty water. You need to do it each night...without the pup following you!

Ants? buy some antrid ..honey mixed with borax..

place in small containers INSIDE cupboards..or up on things well out of the pup's reach.Ants eat it and take it back to the nest.... everyone eats and eventually numbers drop.

You could use a surface spray, and do a barrier spray of the house...

go round the outside, and 'draw a line' about 4cm wide with spray all round the house..... don't leave any gaps.. and don't hold can too far away from the surface and excess spray.

Cockroach traps should be placed inside cupboards etc, where pup can't get them.

Alternatively, after he is locked away for the night, put the traps out,then remove them before he has access to the area!!

Or a quicker death for snails than salty water is to drop them in a bucket of very hot water. The other thing I do, because I know there's no poisons here, is to collect them and take them to Healesville sanctuary for their lizards or I know of a bloke who breeds blue tongues and he always loves me to give him some.

I wouldn't worry about the snails - my young Burmese has been bringing them in too.

I would be a bit careful using too much surface spray with a pup around. If you see a trail of ants and squash some of them every couple of inches it sometimes deters the rest coming that same way.

Your vet should be able to help with dog/cat safe insect repellants.

One of mine used to bring in snails - and eat them on the rug in the lounge, leaving bits for me to stand on - ICK!!!

She has now grown out of that - either that, or she has managed to clear the back yard of all snails (either way a good thing!)!

My advice - don't worry, but don't bait your snails!!!!

do you think if a neighbour has put out snail bait that they ones that have eaten it would make it to my back yard? or would they die pretty quick?

I don't know a great deal about snail bait as we don't use pesticides in our place - and I don't think our neighbours do either. I would assume that, like most baits, if the snail consumes the pesticide it affects it rapidly; IMO what you need to be careful of is ensuring none of those affected snails are tossed over your fence!

Oh, you may be interested to know that my dogs have now progressed from snails to mice....so you may need to consider in the future if you have any mouse bait lying around too! :)

Mokha has always been fond of a snail snack. I just hate the sound of them crunching. They also upset his stomach if he eats too many . When the snails are out we lock him inside as much as possible. I also worry that someone might put down bait but since we have dogs on all sides of our house I would hope none of the neighbors would be baiting snails.

:laugh: Yes, I have the same problem with my pup - he loves snails! Im sure he knows I find it disgusting - he can now look straight at me totally innocent with a snail hidden in his mouth!

The other thing I do, because I know there's no poisons here, is to collect them and take them to Healesville sanctuary for their lizards or I know of a bloke who breeds blue tongues and he always loves me to give him some.

Hey - I never thought of that - I have bearded dragons, I wonder if they would eat snails? Might have to do some research!

and Mokhahouse - "snail snack" :o I love it

Hey guys, I just used snail bait a few days ago and it's all in the garden, I'm getting a lab pup tomorrow and I'm scared he might eat the snail bait. Should I clean it all up(including the dead snails)? Also, we've got alot of ants in the backyard and we plan on using some type of ant bait, is there a dog safe ant killer?

definantly get rid of all traces of snail bait and dead snails!!

I have been looking at ant stuff.. and I think there is an Ant Sand that is pet safe.. It says so anyway... But Im just so hesitant to use it anyway...

Goodluck with your puppy

Hey guys, I just used snail bait a few days ago and it's all in the garden, I'm getting a lab pup tomorrow and I'm scared he might eat the snail bait. Should I clean it all up(including the dead snails)? Also, we've got alot of ants in the backyard and we plan on using some type of ant bait, is there a dog safe ant killer?

Definitely get rid of all the dead snails and all of the bait. I'm not sure of an ant killer that is safe to use around dogs.

Enjoy your puppy!

Dogs die from eating snail baits :rolleyes: :( - a pup will have no chance if he eats some. And yes, get rid of all the snails you can find - they may have become contaminated. Be very careful with whatever you put down - assume that the pup will have a go at eating whatever he can find!

I figured out where the snails are coming from!!

They come and eat the left over bits from his bowl. Id been leaving it out for him to eat the last bit of dry dog food.

But I think from now on I will just pick it up and put it away..

Snails are so ewwwwww...