Whats The Hardest Dog To Train?

Someone asked me this the other day and I am sure there are reasons for plenty of different breeds. I thought a Beagle would be hard from the point of view of scent etc. Once they got one it would be a HUGE distraction.

Any thoughts?

I'm of the opinion that they're not "harder", they're just "different". That might be just semantics, but people say that spitz breeds are harder to train but they just need a different approach compared to a border or kelpie, for example.

I'm of the opinion that they're not "harder", they're just "different". That might be just semantics, but people say that spitz breeds are harder to train but they just need a different approach compared to a border or kelpie, for example.

Agreed! I should have worded it that way.

ta

My elkhound, who is a stubborn northern breed, was really easy to train. He understood the commands quickly and knew what was required of him. Of course that doesn't mean he did it every time he was asked :laugh:

My goldie just didn't seem to get it initially. It used to take me much longer to get her to understand what was required, but once she got it, she would do it without fail.

Just the basics,

Welll..

I have always thought (but could be wrong), that the ones which would need more work would be the ones who are not so - people oriented - ones who are more comfortable in a pack, or working independently.

I"ve found no real hard dogs to train, but certain breeds require different approaches. As mentioned..dogs that were designed over the years to work for humans, work at a different level than dogs that were designed to work independantly from us.

I beleive that one of the more stubborn breeds are the dachshunds as they are so single minded and once they get something in that little head...dynamite can't remove it! When they do work, they are wonderful....and in some areas, very quick to pick things up, but if you have a bit of a stumble with certain obedience exercises, it can be VERY difficult to convince the teckels to do what you want compared to doing what THEY want!

Some think terriers are tough, but they really arent, you just need different motivations than say Gundogs or workers.

I agree with that Angelsun, dacs are their own special little people, and they have firm opinions!!

All breeds are different, I guess the key is to understand the one you have. :laugh:

:laugh:

Train to do what?

A kelpie is MUCH easier than a shihtzu to train as a sheep dog !

O good, an opportunity for a joke I heard recently. Have to add it.

What is a Shihtzu? ------------ A zoo without animals.

Owners need to buy a breed to dog who suits them, lifestyle, requirements.

I have a beagle and a cocker. My cocker picks things up really quickly. Show her twice and she has it usually (except for her drop/stays). My beagle is the same. She's been a dream to train aswell.

The difference between them though is my cocker many works for her squeaky toy and my beagle works for food.

Easy.. the one with the most inflexible, least trainable handler.

I've seen folk who buy the "highly trainable" breeds who can't do a thing with them.. and other supposedly more "challenging" breeds do very well.

The attitude and willingness to learn of person on the end of the lead is the key to the dog's success.

I think there are some breeds that require a different approach and might take longer to get reliability. And like others said, it largely depends on the handler.

My Sibe picks things up almost straight away but whether or not you can motivate him to get him doing known commands reliably can be another thing. I'm pretty lucky with him as he is both food and prey motivated. Micha and Daisy would both give you the doggy equivalent of the rude finger if you asked them to work just for praise :)

I found Daisy harder than Micha in many ways, she is very food driven and will do anything for food, but - get her on a scent and I could shove food in her mouth and she will spit it out! So it was a matter of harnessing that drive and making it work for me.

Edited by huski

:hitself:

Train to do what?

A kelpie is MUCH easier than a shihtzu to train as a sheep dog !

O good, an opportunity for a joke I heard recently. Have to add it.

What is a Shihtzu? ------------ A zoo without animals.

Owners need to buy a breed to dog who suits them, lifestyle, requirements.

LL, :rofl: I found your joke funny :)

I suppose you've heard the one about crossing a Bulldog and a Shihtzu??

I've seen folk who buy the "highly trainable" breeds who can't do a thing with them.. and other supposedly more "challenging" breeds do very well.

The attitude and willingness to learn of person on the end of the lead is the key to the dog's success.

I was going to answer "My dog!", but I think I will just crawl back into my hole now... :rofl:

:)

I was going to answer "My dog!", but I think I will just crawl back into my hole now... :rofl:

:)

While you're there DeeLee, picture what your girl would have been like if you hadn't been prepared to do as much as you can. My guess is that many people would have simply given up.

There are very challenging dogs to train around.. but it's not as simple as a breed issue.

Edited by poodlefan

An old time instructor at my obedience club used to say it was easier to train a dumber dog than a smart dog. The dumb dog would do it as many times as you asked it to while the smart dog would only do it a couple of times because it didn't see the point in repeating something it had already done.

I was going to answer "My dog!", but I think I will just crawl back into my hole now... :laugh:

:thumbsup:

While you're there DeeLee, picture what your girl would have been like if you hadn't been prepared to do as much as you can. My guess is that many people would have simply given up.

There are very challenging dogs to train around.. but it's not as simple as a breed issue.

Thanks PF. :)

I really do agree with what you have said- I am always amazed at people who complain about their dog's behaviour but aren't prepared to do anything about it via training. Frustrates the crap out of me.