I Know It's A Gimmick

kja

But our Girls detest having their nails trimmed and it's a total trauma for all involved. We usually end up taking them to the vet, who now charges like $30 each dog, to have them clipped but that's even more traumatic it seems. Neither dog has ever been "hurt", we've not nicked the quick or anything so I don't really know why they hate it so much, but they do.

So we're looking for more options.

Anyone been game enough to drop the $80 on this - thoughts? Experiences?

I think you can get them for like $15 on ebay, reviews seem mixed as to whether they are any good or not. Chances are if you post in the member marketplace someone will have one to sell you :rofl:

Edited by Kissindra

Hmm, we have a dremmel...

You use it with the sanding bands attachment. Mine are not keen on it but better than they are with nail clipping and I prefer the finish they get - smooth and don't scratch like they can after clipping.

Sorry to highjack, kja, I was just wondering for those who use dremmels how much they are and if there is a particular 'type' of dremmel that is best to buy?? Or is there just one and you have to get the right attachment for it?

I got one of these for 9.95 from dealsdirect.com.au and $6 postage.

The girls don't like the noise and they're not much good for trimming any substantial amount from the nails. Better just for smoothing off sharp edges or points etc, doesn't do much else really. The girls don't like it anyway.

Well I used one of those Pedi Paws on Friday at a show.

A friend had purchased on of ebay for $6.

I used it on an Italian greyhounds nails and as they are only battery operated

the nail stopped the grinder. It only worked if the nail so ever so gently held against

the course roller.

I use an electric grinder at home with the coarse sand paper cylinder on.

Does a perfect job on the whippets nails.

I got one very similar from catch of the day for about $10. I had been using a dremel with a small attachment like on the dog one. I've found the battery powered dog one isn't very powerful and I have to be careful how hard I hold my girls' nails against it or it stops, and I think as she has pretty thick nails I'll probably burn the motor out pretty quickly.

I think we'll be going back to the dremel pretty soon as it works so much better and quicker.

I got one from Catch of the Day too. I think it was about $8 so I thought I might as well give it a go. I was planning on using it more to 'smooth' the nails after clipping than to grind them down as my dog has very thick, hard nails.

Only problem is that it didn't come with batteries and I keep forgetting to buy some so I don't know what it's like yet :thumbsup:

I use a dremel with a stone slightly coned attachment its the only thing that gets through the nails and finishes them nicely.

And no blood :confused: my malinois bleeds for ages if you even snip half a mm too far *sigh*

My boss ordered one, we tried it on their SWF, it was hopeless. it took way too long because any time you put a tiny bit of pressure on it it would slow or stop. It got sent back the same day :confused:

I'm thinking of buying a Dremel, I have heard good things about them and they seem to be popular here.

For those that have a dog that is scared of it, this is a great article:

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html

I got an engraver from bunnings years ago, cost me $13, and had the attachment to file. I still have it, but it is on its last legs, will have to save another $13 and get a new one soon :confused: