June Photography Challenge

Ashanali

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... and one more. Just in case your not sick of the orange dog yet. :laugh:

This one is my favourite in that his face is so in focus... I just wish there hadn't been a labrador in the way.

3596794351_2da3267067.jpg

Actually I still like this, the pointer is going one way and the lab the other, lots of movement.

IMG_5688.jpg

Absolutely love this one, it's just superb :laugh:

I managed to do some frozen motion shots of the dogs last night playing with a ball...

Thought I may as well put them up!

3590920606_b550f3634a.jpg

This one's fabulous :o

Sorry I haven't made any contributions yet - weather here has been terrible and having a few health issues. Everyone is doing so well so far :)

Hi Guys, I'm a bit slow of the mark this month. I think I'm all camerad out after my holiday, I took so many photos. I wasn't going to post as I haven't had any experience with panning but would like to try. But looking back at my holiday pics I think there are a few maybe worth posting as frozen motion.

Everyone's pictures are just so so so good. I love the long exposure shots and particularly the frozen motion shots. I'm not sure what it is about panning shots but they are just not my thing.

here are a couple from my holiday.

"Going"

Corringleday2358.jpg

"Coming"

Corringleday2361.jpg

"Take off"

Corringleday2388.jpg

Just wanted to add,

AM your horse shots are just divine!!

And TN, I love the series of your pups up in the air with the ball, they look like a couple of AFL stars :)

Kirislin, your panning shots of the doggys running are excellent, me thinks you been practicing, your very good!!

Rocco, your parrot is just fantastic, I love the black back ground. Obviously you are loving the D700. I sooooo want one!!

Shell, your long exposure shots are great and that possum is just awesome, did you do much PP, it looks almost like a cartoon, well done!!

but your poor lense, can you claim it on your insurance?

B & C, your shots are great, I just love your superhero frozen motion shot, so funny!! :laugh:

Roxy n Axle, it took me a second to figure out you were Love Asd, I seen your sig, your avatar looked familiar but I couldnt work it out for a second :) Your shots are great, I really love the one of your OH and the water in the first shot it looks like the water is curly!!

RavyK love the invisible bike shot, very funny and well done!! Your watermark is awesome, did you do that in PS?

Huga, great shots, love theone of Harry jumping up to get the ball!!

a little trick with long exposure and light painting, use a lighter if you are sitting or if you are moving around a little pen light or one of those little key light finders is good and you can stop and start it so you get the effect of say if you are writing a name it can be broken up instead of one big light line. Dont know if Im explaining myself very well, will have to have a go and show what I mean.

Anyway everyones shots are fantasitc, looking forward to getting the camera out and getting some recent shots, may have a go at panning too!!

Edited to add, Hi Iltby, looking forward to seeing some pics from you too, sorry to hear you haven't been well, hope your feeling better soon!!

Edited by tlc

Amazing shots TN!!

Humm, aren't you meant to be studying :)?

Kidding! :laugh:

Thanks... Yup, definitely supposed to be studying!! Exam in 4 days though and then I can have a few days off! :)

Wow, go Terra! You are taking amazing photos this month! :)

Don't laugh, because my subject matter is somewhat limited, but I think I got some panning shots...

Thanks huga!

I love the second one of yours!!

Hi Guys, I'm a bit slow of the mark this month. I think I'm all camerad out after my holiday, I took so many photos. I wasn't going to post as I haven't had any experience with panning but would like to try. But looking back at my holiday pics I think there are a few maybe worth posting as frozen motion.

Great shots, tlc!! Always love seeing photos of your pups!!

tlc, Nice shots too! :)

Every time I have seen birds in flight I either didnt have my camera or my batteries died on me like when I went to the park with my girl late this arvo...not great shots (from the park I used my phone).

DSCF3501.jpg

2008_11170018-1.gif

An old pic for my frozen shot lol she looks so cheeky on this one!

Image1chloe.jpg

05062009.jpg

05062009009.jpg

05062009006.jpg

05062009002.jpg

Edited by Roxy_n_Axle

A tip for those who are wanting to try bird photos.

If you live close to the water there are likely to be seagulls around. Or in city areas you might have pigeons. Take a supply of food with you (they'll eat anything, hot chips are good), and take a friend. Get them to throw the food up in the air in front of you and when the birds take off to grab the food, you can attempt some frozen motion images. The advantage is that these birds will come and close and even take food from you hands so you can get as close to the action as you need to.

Personally I'd not be encouraging people to feed wildlife hot chips for the sake of a good photo.

I know people do but its also a problem and can encourage aggression ("mine mine mine"), dependence ("I dont

need to hunt now") not to mention diseases that can be spread (to humans too).

More and more I see signs up these days telling people not to feed ducks/wildlife etc and I can understand why.

If I feel like photographing some active seabirds, I find a place where people have been fishing. Atleast

if they are scoring some food it is natural.

Personally I'd not be encouraging people to feed wildlife hot chips for the sake of a good photo.

I know people do but its also a problem and can encourage aggression ("mine mine mine"), dependence ("I dont

need to hunt now") not to mention diseases that can be spread (to humans too).

More and more I see signs up these days telling people not to feed ducks/wildlife etc and I can understand why.

If I feel like photographing some active seabirds, I find a place where people have been fishing. Atleast

if they are scoring some food it is natural.

Okay, let's alter it a bit then.

If you're in Brisbane, head to Brett's Wharf about 3-4pm and the staff feed the birds the bits of fish they don't use in the kitchen. You can get close and there is a larger range of birds here (pelicans, gulls and a couple of other water birds that I have no idea what they are). Or head to Junction Park State School behind the swimming pool and at about 4.30pm the old woman across the road throws out birdseed for the pigeons. There's even an odd all brown one in there that stands out from the drab grey. Four top-knot pigeons also join this group.

Port of Brisbane also has an abundance of bird life at the big lake that is there.

If you're anywhere else, grab some cheap crap fish from a fisho or some birdseed. Have fun.

Edited by Ashanali

Argh - NOOooooooo! Please don't feed the sea gulls or the pigeons or whatever. They are total pests and make huge messes everywhere - feeding them just teaches them to come closer to humans and dirty up the areas humans want to be in as well as...

+1 what chezzyr said.