Are Teeth Ever Okay?

Do you allow your dogs to mouth you or other objects? Why or why not?

I was going to give you my take but now I can't be bothered. Suffice to say it differs for me depending on the dog, it's tendency to bite hard, its tendency to get very aroused, its tendency to get bitey when aroused, its capacity to do harm, its tendency towards snarkyness... That's all I can think of right now.

Never on me.

Yes to other objects. My dogs are encouraged to tug hard on toys.

But my skin is not a toy. Mouthing can be misconstrued by other people and certainly is unwanted behaviour by many. A dog that mouths is a dog that's hard to rehome. Bite inhibition needs to be taught young and a dog that doesn't learn it as a pup may never learn it. Not all dogs learn the message about "gently or never" because not all owners can teach that. Its easier for most dog owners to teach "never".

But you knew I'd say something along these lines. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Yes i allow my dogs to bite objects. i encourage them to play tug and bite/ mouth toys and they mouth each other in play also.

No i NEVER allow my dogs to put their mouth around me or any other person. Lets say i teach them its okay with me, and they make a mistake one day and mouth someone else- the consequences for this are not something i want to have to deal with so i don't set my dogs up for this.

I only let my dog tug on/mouth his toys.

Our trainers have told us this from day 1. Our friends would come around start playfully sticking their hands in his mouth and play hand games with him but we told them it wasnt on.

We have our friends kids around at our house and I would hate for him to think it was ok to have a bite on them.

I think it would confuse him if it was sometimes ok and others not.

You've already had my opinion - what's appropriate depends entirely on the dog and your relationship with them. In my view, my dog's mouth is the equivalent of my hands. There's a difference between him gently taking my arm in his mouth and him biting me - just like there is a difference between me tapping you on the shoulder and punching you in the face!

However, if the dog just doesn't get the idea of being gentle with his teeth, I too would insist on no mouthing at all on human skin.

I also don't allow my past or present dogs to mouth other people (or actually, to play with other people at all except my OH, for several reasons).

A little bit, but only because Bonnie is very timid and submissive (and has tiny teeth and jaw!). I feel that a bit of rough and tumble with me is good for her personality :laugh: I trust her 100% to not become aggressive with it....She wouldn't play like this with anyone else though.

i am the owner of a "rescue" dog who never learnt not to mouth as a pup. He is improving, but it is the one thing that I have to constantly be aware with him - and it is not something that I would ever encourage. Teeth are for toys and not for human skin - too easy for a dog to make a mistake. This may be the one thing that stops me from trialling this dog, and that at times breaks my heart.

Toys, sticks, bones - fine

Humans - not allowed, ever

Simply put and it reflects what I do :( I'm actively encouraging tug at the moment and any teeth contact with human skin (it's accidental and purely a result of Zig getting a little too enthusiastic) is discouraged by immediately stopping the game. Zig has developed really good bite inhibition and, as a result, comes off much the worse when playing with my crazy foster kitten :o Kittens and cats are taught similar manners also.

No human biting or mouthing. We have 2 small kids and even play biting is not on. Zero tolerance here.

Chewing her toys is fine but I dont play tug as my dog has exhibited some challenging behaviour and the last thing I need is for her to feel "giving" a toy is optional as part of a game.

Objects - fine.

Humans - I used to be fine with play fighting where the dog would grab but not bite - I'd still end up with red marks all over my arms. These days I don't do that and as a rule I don't want my dogs mouthing at all. That said I do have one who mouths from time to time at the moment (he likes to hold your wrist when you pat him). I have mostly given up on stopping it because it's only occasionally and he only does it to me - if I had kids, he did it to others or hurt me at any point I'd put a stop to it and I will be making sure to get on top of it early with any future pups that begin mouthing behaviour.

Edited by molasseslass

I never allow and can be quite unpopular with others when I verbally correct their dog when it does it me. I explain it by saying - sorry, its automatic as the rescue dogs are never allowed to mouth ever as they can't tell the different :happydance2: and most people get over it OR call their dog to them.

I hate it.

No No No :happydance2::cheer: Never allow mouthing or biting it encourages unacceptable social behaviour towards humans. They must learn that if they feel the need to mouth or bite it is on an innaminate object.

edit: 2 scolds for effect.

Edited by ILUVKELPIES

In water rescue we allow the dogs to mouth us...........The dog tows you you when you are considered "unconscious"

Newfs have a very gentle mouth/hold...hard to explain. it is not a bite, but a hold

But I do not allow play biting or nipping, EVER

Edited by newfsie