November Challenge

tlc

With the inside one of TJ, I lightened it a bit, it really should have been lighter but I had the Ex comp on -0.7 whoops! I used a preset in LR and gave it the aged look, also vignetted white around the outside.

With all the outside ones, All I did was a tweak of temp, exposure and black, also vignetted black around the outside and a little clarity as the 50mm tends to soften the outside of the pic. The great thing I find with light room is the ease of editing with the sliders, its fab!!

I thought there were a few goodies so I posted them on FB, if anyone wants to have a looky they are here,

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=155985

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this will be my first attempt- I MAY have noticed Ashanali Sig and decieded to chuck in some pics (I should have been studying but it seemed much more fun!!) I think i will get out tomorrow and take some pics when the light is better!!

DSC04626.jpg

Abby when she realised i took a pic!!

DSC04710.jpg

Bluey and Demi

DSC04604.jpg

Bluey (my only willing subject!)

DSC04608.jpg

Edited by woofenpup

I have to commend everyone on their efforts so far. :)

Portraiture is easy once you get the knack... it's just finding the knack that can be a challenge. Then once you have the knack, there are so many avenues you can explore in terms of lighting and location.

Keep it up everyone and welcome to the newbies :D

Wow, just had to read quite a few pages to catch up!!! Don't have time to comment on everyone's.... Last exam is tomorrow! I better finish this break and go back to study!!

Woofenpup -- you better bring your camera along when we've got the dogs out together over the holidays. :) Dog training + photography practice = HEAVEN! :D

Wow, just had to read quite a few pages to catch up!!! Don't have time to comment on everyone's.... Last exam is tomorrow! I better finish this break and go back to study!!

Woofenpup -- you better bring your camera along when we've got the dogs out together over the holidays. :) Dog training + photography practice = HEAVEN! :)

Then I can practise on Jedi- not having a shiny dark coloured dog *sigh* or a puppy that runs toward the camera every time she sees it!! And we will blitz the the photo section with our AMAZING pics (well maybe your amazing pics)!!

Bah study- I studied the dogs... perhaps not relevant to disease study but much much more interesting!!

I did take a pic in November, on Sunday. This little guy is used to me and was singing away, sitting on the fence under a shady tree. He wasn't fazed by the camera at all.

Butcherbird in the backyard, 1 Nov.

Canon 30D - AV mode, Aperture f/4.0;

Shutter speed: 1/200

Metering: Spot

4077635960_a39db199b9.jpg

f/4; 1/100; metering: spot

4075057620_b193b7c1f4.jpg

I'm going to Melb this weekend and will try a portrait shot. I'm sure I'll completely suck at it as I have no experience with people and this will be a child, she has no choice, I'm taking her on the plane with me. :)

Edited by Ripley

Do you think people might notice my new signature?

Yes, (reaches for sunnies). Worked for me.

Welsh Mountain Pony

DSC_4011.jpg

In Retirement

DSC_4010.jpg

Nikon D90, Sigma 150 lens, manual 800th f8,

Cropped excess background for square format.

(Edited as the guinea fowl was ineligible).

Edited by PossumCorner

Ripley???? that's a different language.

So, do you buy photo editing software? Is that what RAW is? What sort is worth getting??

:)

Sorry monah, didn't see this. I am dreadful at explaining technical stuff, so here is a cut and paste from the net, but have a google yourself and you will find much more about it. If you have a DSLR, the RAW software would have come with the camera on a disc to use. Canon's one is quite ok, but I use Photoshop CS3 RAW software to convert from RAW to JPEG and then a slight sharpen in PS to resize the picture to web size.

From a photo site I just googled by way of explanation:

"RAW format is often a proprietary format of a particular camera make. RAW files hold all the RAW data captured by the camera. Unlike conventional "photography where light is exposed against film with a specific chemical formulation to provide deep saturation or soft skin tones that would otherwise be automatically applied based on the type of film used, RAW digital files contain raw data that is uninterpreted and unaltered. RAW files in their simplest description can be thought of as digital negatives. They are a pre-production starting point."

ETA: PossumCorner, you changed your photo!

I have so much catching up to do with pics I've taken this year but here are a couple I've just processed from a local car show a few weeks ago. On opening the pics, I'm disappointed to find many humans reflected in the shiny chrome and paint of these lovely cars. :)

f/4; 1/400; partial metering. Background darkened in Photoshop

I have no idea what kind of car this is. Um, a pretty, old, red sporty kinda one.

4077646902_4f52b4b2b4.jpg

Mustangs

f/4.5; 1/100

ISO 100

Polariser

4076068658_60ca93ffd4.jpg

Edited by Ripley

Awesome shots Ripley, the little bird is so cute, and the car soooo shiney!!

PC, nice horses glad you joined the challenge!!

Just a quick add on to the raw chat, if you use light room you can import your raw files strait in and then once you edit they can be easily saved as jpegs, LR is so simple to use!!

heya I'm lucianne and I'm Pandii's daughter...

I love taking pictures but haven't really been that good at it :D I was wondering if and one could help me, I've got a pentax optio s10 and I'm not making sense of some of the instructions eariler in the thread.

heya I'm lucianne and I'm Pandii's daughter...

I love taking pictures but haven't really been that good at it :) I was wondering if and one could help me, I've got a pentax optio s10 and I'm not making sense of some of the instructions eariler in the thread.

Hello Daughter of mine,

Ash, when you get a minute do you have any tips please ;) or anyone else that could help

Love the parrot and the staffords

The best way to get better at taking photos is to go out and take lots and lots of photos. Post what you think are your best shots here and I'm sure lots of people will provide feedback. Honestly that is more useful to beginners than generalised advice...there are too many variables to tell you exactly what settings to use.

Also that camera does not have manual or semi-manual modes like aperture and shutter priority, so you are fairly limited in what you can do settings-wise - but you can still learn about composition and using light to your advantage - get snapping! :)