Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Mind you the black Minis aren't as easy as the Salt/Peppers ,way more stubborn,destructive & can be barkers

\

eek1.gif Not sure if I should let my parents know that part :rofl:

I find it hard to believe coat colour makes a difference though, why is that so? Is it fact or just one of those well known rumours like when people say choc labs are crazier than the other colours? I think it's absolute nonsense in regards to the Labs as it's just a coat colour.... but maybe they are right, Millie is a loon!!! :rofl:

The Black/Silvers are more fiesty & very vocal.

We have breed Minis for 25 years ,salt/pepper for the greater majority ,then we added 2 black/silver & solid blacks.

Black/silvers we didn't pursue to noisey for starters,the solid blacks we have had for about 12 yrs now & the colours vary greatly.

It does occur in most breeds though

English Setters within the colours are well known to vary,American cockers certainly varied(i had solid black & Black/tan) plus involved in the other colours.The parti colours are well known for being feral in comparison.

The Labs i see a difference,originally the Chocs at show where nasty buggers but things have settled there

The Labs i see a difference,originally the Chocs at show where nasty buggers but things have settled there

confused.gif

Yep in the past years the Choc,s where always going for other dogs & creating tension.

Now the Chocs are far more settled & you never see an issue but 10 years ago there where a few choc's shown that you walked a big circle around

I agree you see a varience with the colours... but it isn't necessarily the colour, but the temperament behind the colours which are bred together. Maybe there isn't so much of a varience in labs because a lot of the time, yellows, chocs and blacks are bred together often. Of course this happens within other breeds but lets say everyone wants blue roan cocker spaniels and all the blue roans have a specific trait that the other colours dont have, well all the blues are going to inherit this trait and the blue roan that is mated to an orange roan may throw a few puppies that do and don't have this trait... say this trait, is a temperament thing - smarter, dumber, high strung etc etc.

Orange Beltons are known as a bit less cluey... *cough* dumber *cough* than the blues and tri's... is it their orange spots that cause this?

Oh and don't forget the red hair gene in humans!!

Hmmm Bronson my friends Black lab would counter your point ;)

I think that it is quite possible colour and temprament can be linked, I also think that 'bad temprament' in choc Lab's would likely be because apparently they mixed Chessies in with labs in WWII which have a much harder temp then a lab.

I think dogs with orange are the smartest - just look at Sandi's kids ;) (And not at Andrea's James :laugh: )

I agree you see a varience with the colours... but it isn't necessarily the colour, but the temperament behind the colours which are bred together. Maybe there isn't so much of a varience in labs because a lot of the time, yellows, chocs and blacks are bred together often. Of course this happens within other breeds but lets say everyone wants blue roan cocker spaniels and all the blue roans have a specific trait that the other colours dont have, well all the blues are going to inherit this trait and the blue roan that is mated to an orange roan may throw a few puppies that do and don't have this trait... say this trait, is a temperament thing - smarter, dumber, high strung etc etc.

Orange Beltons are known as a bit less cluey... *cough* dumber *cough* than the blues and tri's... is it their orange spots that cause this?

Agreed (if I understand what you're saying). I don't blame the colour, but the colours that are bred together and this is usually because a particular colour is "flavour of the month", so unethical breeders are breeding for colour and not temperament, so that colour then gets this rep. Choc Labs prime example.

That's my uneducated view on things!

Edit: just for the record, my choc girl has a beautiful temperament... she's just a bit of a nutcase is all laugh.gif But she didn't have the best start to life.

Edited by RubyStar

Agreed (if I understand what you're saying). I don't blame the colour, but the colours that are bred together and this is usually because a particular colour is "flavour of the month", so unethical breeders are breeding for colour and not temperament, so that colour then gets this rep. Choc Labs prime example.

That's my uneducated view on things!

Edit: just for the record, my choc girl has a beautiful temperament... she's just a bit of a nutcase is all laugh.gif But she didn't have the best start to life.

yes that definitely happens - but i guess I mean it can even happen unintentionally... I know of someone who keeps getting a certain colour which happens to be the best dog in the litter. She would like the other colour, but because she isn't breeding for colour alone, her best bet is to take the best dog... which just happens to be the colour she doesn't really want!! As a result, she could end up with a kennel full of one colour.

That's ok as a blonde i reserve the right to not judge :rofl: lucky for me rottis are only in one colour and some are clever some aren't lol or else they are too clever and play dumb :rofl: hmmmmm leaves to ponder that the rotti is smarter than she is hmmmm :eek:

I think dogs with orange are the smartest - just look at Sandi's kids (And not at Andrea's James )

:laugh: Yep Ranga dogs are the smartest :D (Red Boxers! ;) )

There is no difference in Boxer temperament related to coat colour- but I agree that chocolate labs are "harder" in temperament judging by the ones we have had in the kennels. Also working with federal police dogs, of all the police labs we have worked with- it's funny none of them were chocolate! :laugh: Mostly blacks. The yellows seem more "crazy" than the blacks.

Just spent the evening playing with 6 adorable puppies! :love: I actually contemplated stealing one ;) Puppies are the cutest thing ever! Especially orange ribbon... I am so his fav, he kept coming up to me and wanting to settle in my lap - such a cuddly little sook. :D

I think dogs with orange are the smartest - just look at Sandi's kids (And not at Andrea's James )

:laugh: Yep Ranga dogs are the smartest :D (Red Boxers! ;) )

There is no difference in Boxer temperament related to coat colour- but I agree that chocolate labs are "harder" in temperament judging by the ones we have had in the kennels. Also working with federal police dogs, of all the police labs we have worked with- it's funny none of them were chocolate! :laugh: Mostly blacks. The yellows seem more "crazy" than the blacks.

I must own the rare soft temperamented Labradors then, who are laidback yet friendly, and not dumb at all ;)

Couple of crazy labs in this video, watch out!!! eek1.gifrofl1.gif