Appointments Or Walk-in At Vets...

stormie

Vets - Appointments or Walk-in?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• I'd prefer to have a set appointment time
    • I prefer to be able to walk in whenever

Ok I hope this works..

My new boss and I have recently taken over a new clinic. The previous clinic we worked at together operated by appointments only, obviously with the exception of emergencies.

The new clinic never had appointments, just consultation hours, and people were able to just walk in at any time during those hours and would wait to be seen.

We prefer the appointment system and feel that it's particularly important for clients when they are having their pets pts, as you can where possible, arrange for the time after to be quiet, so they don't have to face a waiting room full of people when they are upset.

We haven't put up any major sinage encouraging people to make appts yet though, as we are still a little bit unsure whether it's the right way to go.

We are becoming increasingly busy and I feel people would appreciate having a set time to be seen, rather than walking in and potentially be waiting a very long time to be seen, particularly on weekends.

So the point of the poll - which do you prefer? Do you prefer to make a scheduled time to be seen, with the idea that you won't have to wait around an awfully long time and also not be faced wth a waiting room full of other animals?

Or do you prefer the option of being able to walk in at any time without minding the wait?

(obviously I'm talking about non emergencies and anything that needed to be seen asap could be rushed in at any time).

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely appointments for us - otherwise it would be a Plan B clinic for me - kind of like when you can't get into see your regular GP so go to the Medical Center down the road and wait and wait until there is gap ....

I don't have the time to sit in a waiting room waiting for a gap, I much prefer to make a time and stick to it (emergencies excepted of course)

Definately appointments! With the exception of emergencies, appointments are fairer and more efficient for everyone. If you make it clear that you're willing to see emergencies and more urgent cases on a 'drop in' basis, I can't see why anyone would want to wait for an unspecified amount of time?!

Thanks for the responses so far - agree with all. Interestingly when we told one of our clients yesterday, her response was "goodness, I've never heard of having to make an appointment for a vet before", but glad to know that doesn't seem to be the normal attitude!

A Vet I used to work for obviously never had set appointments in the past but had recently brought them in, say, in the previous 3 years or so.

We ran appointments but we also had to see walk-ins OMG it was SO annoying!!

I agree you need to be able to schedule long appointments for Euths and people who are having a PTS done do not want to sit in the waiting room for ages, it adds to the discomfort. Plus when you run by walk-in style- people stop respecting your time.

By all means do a huge mail merge and give people time to get used to the idea, but keep a note of who you have told because some people will still abuse the system and just turn up whenever they want!!

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Appointments :laugh:

I can't think of anything worse than having to wait in a room full of other (potentially very sick) dogs not knowing when you will be seen to. It's nice to be able to book a quiet time if need be.

It would be handy if you had the option of walking in and being told either -Yes, we dont have many bookings today you are welcome to wait for the vet to see you OR No, we are fully booked today and have appointments for emergencies only please come back at X time. But I would not feel comfortable visiting a clinic with a walk in only policy.

Appointments hands down.

One of the vets I like to use is a walk-in only and I HATE it. HATE having to sometimes sit around for hours (yes I have done). I much prefer to make a time, and then you know you only have to wait a little bit.

Every vet I have gone to is appointments for regular stuff and walk in emergencies. Which I like. When I take new pup to the vet for a check-up in Jan I liked being able to ask for a 'quieter' time when I am not likely to run into other dogs. Waiting times at my vet are usually less then 15mins and mostly straight away.

Definitely appointments for me.

I could not think of anything worse than having to wait for an unknown amount of time in a potentially very busy waiting room with my boy.

I like the fact that my vets run by appointments, and if it is an emergency they are always willing to make time for us.

By making an appointment I usually get to book a time so that I get the vet of my choice (the practice has four very good vets, however I have my favourite, and where possible I will schedule an appointment with him :laugh: )

Definitely appointments, so that I can see my preferred vet and so that I don't have to sit around with other sicker dogs around us.

That's why I take her little mat and she sits on the chair next to me :laugh:

If I can't get an appointment I will thengo to my plan B vet and get an appointment.

But having said that, my favourite vet will usually squeeze us in :laugh:

The vet surgery I go to used to have walk-ins many years ago - they are a very popular vet and you could be sitting there for hours, with dogs and cats everywhere, and then got the next available vet.

Now they have appointments and it is a much more civilised waiting room plus I get to see the vet I prefer.

I've worked in both situations, appointments are much preferred :laugh:

The practice I'm in at the moment works on an appointment schedule, but since we're on a highway we get a lot of walk ins as well. The walk ins are politely informed that we operate on an appointment schedule for normal purposes, but since they are here now, the next free appointment is at "x time" if they don't mind waiting. We have signs on the consult doors informing people that we operate on an appointment schedule but emergencies will take priority.

We don't get too many complaints about it, and when we do they are usually from people who walk in and are repeat offenders. Mostly when there is a wait, we find that all the clients are chatting to each other or collectively worrying about the emergency case that is being treated.

ETA: We have 3 vets on at any one time, one on surgery and not consulting after 10am, and 2 vets that consult the rest of the day. We do have regular commitments that often requires one (sometimes two) vets to leave the premises for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. Appointments mean we can plan our days (to a point!). We'll always try to squeeze people in if a pet needs attention. We also have some vets who have an entire afternoon booked up 3-4 days in advance!

Edited by Rappie