Unwell Puppy

jass63

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you changed her diet from what the breeder had her on? The milk is not a good idea, unless it is long life or puppy milk. Perhaps she has been bitten by something - bee/wasp/spider/ant, and is reacting to it. Pups can be given some human anti-histamines. If you have any on hand there is a list and dosages in the health section: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4216506

This puppy needs a vet though and urgently by the sound of it. Keep her quiet and warm. Self medicating is risky if you do not know what your are dealing with, especially with such a small pup.

Edited by badboyz

She is confined on her little doggy beg and has been for the last few days. I've bought the exelpet flea stuff for her but it does nothing, I'll dose her again after I bath her later.

We can't figure out if she had fleas when we got her or if we have an infestation, she had them on her within half an hour of getting here. We can't see any inside on the carpet so we think they are coming from the ground outside, we have two cats as well that are mostly outdoors, they have them as well but no where near as bad as the puppy. I'm going to get some frontline plus next week for them all. We're in the Frankston area, but every vet in public transport distance is closed. At the moment it looks like we'll have to wait until first thing in the morning. We'll try the vet across the road first and see if they'll let us pay it off, then the surrounding vets, and if none of them will help I'll take her into the Lort Smith. The shaking doesn't seem to be as bad now, I think its nervousness, and a bit of hiccups. Our youngest daughter is being kept well away from her, we think she's the cause of the limping. She's usually really good but lately has been a little horror (our daughter that is).

Have you changed her diet from what the breeder had her on? The milk is not a good idea, unless it is long life or puppy milk. Perhaps she has been bitten by something - bee/wasp/spider/ant, and is reacting to it. Pups can be given some human anti-histamines. If you have any on hand there is a list and dosages in the health section: http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4216506

This puppy needs a vet though and urgently by the sound of it. Keep her quiet and warm. Self medicating is risky if you do not know what your are dealing with, especially with such a small pup.

No same diet. I don't like giving her milk either but it seems to be the only thing she wants to drink, I'll get some puppy milk tomorrow. She has little welts like bites on her belly as well. Could very well be ants. But the rash around the nose and mouth is also scabby and she keeps rubbing it. I'll do everything I can for her.

If you're going to try the vet across the road, take the puppy with you when you ask, don't phone them and ask...they are more likely to treat her if you walk over with her and explain she's very unwell and you're very concerned.

What are you washing the pup in? If you have been using flea shampoo everyday that might be a problem.

You need to treat all the pups bedding for fleas too, or fleas will just hop straight back on to her.

Its an exelpet wash but its not a flea treatment, I'm hesitant to use it again though as this may be causing the reaction. The fleas don't seem to be as bad today as she's barely been outside, which leads me to believe they're coming from outside. I'll wash and change her bedding today too.

Will do Aziah, its a 2 second walk, since we live so close you'd think they'd be a bit more flexible with payment arrangements :fingerscrossed:

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Edited by jass63

Do you know what Wandering Jew looks like? If your puppy has gotten into WJ, they could suffer some of the symptoms you are describing.

Send the breeder an email, leave messages - not sure why you have purchased a puppy and don't have any money now for subsequent vet care or even a flea shampoo??

No I don't know what Wandering Jew looks like.

We've had other unexpected costs come up, and because of the holidays our pay dates have been messed up. I did spend money on flea control that hasn't worked. No one expects their pet to get sick, and unfortunately it has happened at a bad time for us.

Edited by jass63

I hope your puppy gets better soon :mad I know how hard this kind of thing can be with the money situation, it really annoys me that vets will turn people away with sick animals, because they can't afford the bill there and then. I do understand that they have a business to run but at the same time, they are in a business that care for sick and injured animals and that should be top priority above ANYTHING else.

Some vets are vets because they adore animals and live for their work with them...

Other vets are vets simply because they can be :mad

There's no need to start Vet bashing, we have been through this many times. You can't put food on your plate by just loving animals, Vet Clinics are a business like any other business. As an employee I really quite like my pay packet each week and it doesn't happen if we open accounts to all and sundry. Private Vet Clinics are not welfare they are private businesses.

The OP SHOULD have spare funds in case of emergency for this puppy, it costs in excess of $1000 in the first year to raise a puppy in the first year and that's if everything goes well.

Let's get real here please. She can get help if she goes to Lort Smith that's all that needs to be said.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

Some vets are vets because they adore animals and live for their work with them...

There's no need to start Vet bashing, we have been through this many times. You can't put food on your plate by just loving animals, Vet Clinics are a business like any other business. As an employee I really quite like my pay packet each week and it doesn't happen if we open accounts to all and sundry. Private Vet Clinics are not welfare they are private businesses.

The OP SHOULD have spare funds in case of emergency for this puppy, it costs in excess of $1000 in the first year to raise a puppy in the first year and that's if everything goes well.

Let's get real here please. She can get help if she goes to Lort Smith that's all that needs to be said.

No vet bashing on my behalf - I simply stated a fact...it's a clear and obvious fact that some vets arefantastic and some aren't :mad

She's aware the dog needs treatment...

No vet bashing on my behalf - I simply stated a fact...it's a clear and obvious fact that some vets arefantastic and some aren't :mad

She's aware the dog needs treatment...

Well I know two fantastic Vets, one I work for and one I don't, and neither accept accounts...

Please- until you see a vet do NOT put any more chemicals on/in this puppy :mad She sounds ill enough now, without having to deal with flea treatments!

Do you have a fine-toothed comb?A human hair comb is fine....

Comb her with the fine toothed comb.. have her stand on newspaper. Comb her and comb her- methodically-a lot of fleas will fall off/be collected in the comb.. roll up the paper and bin it.

gently wash/wipe her face/eyes with cold black tea or chamomile tea. a few times a day...

Dilute her milk with water- she needs to drink .

keep her cool, and quiet.