Unwell Puppy

jass63

What flea control are you using and how many times have you used it?

Exelpet spot on control, used it once last week its meant to last for 4 weeks but did absolutely nothing. Could that be causing an allergic reaction?

I'm aware of the costs of having a dog, but unfortunately I hadn't planned for unexpected costs that have arisen in the last week (for example several shifts were taken off my partner in preference of other employees, leaving us short for the fortnight). Does my current financial situation reflect on how good or bad a pet owner I am?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please- until you see a vet do NOT put any more chemicals on/in this puppy :mad She sounds ill enough now, without having to deal with flea treatments!

Do you have a fine-toothed comb?A human hair comb is fine....

Comb her with the fine toothed comb.. have her stand on newspaper. Comb her and comb her- methodically-a lot of fleas will fall off/be collected in the comb.. roll up the paper and bin it.

gently wash/wipe her face/eyes with cold black tea or chamomile tea. a few times a day...

Dilute her milk with water- she needs to drink .

keep her cool, and quiet.

Thanks good advice, I'll grab some tea shortly. I've been using a head lice comb on her. And I'll dilute her milk.

Exelpet spot control is useless, and yes, it could very well be causing an allergic reaction.

Eucalyptus wool wash is an effective alternative if you don't have flea shampoo.

Her symptoms does sound like she's reacted to something.

If you must give her milk, water it right down otherwise you'll upset her tummy & you don't want her getting sicker.

Poor puppy. :mad

Please- until you see a vet do NOT put any more chemicals on/in this puppy :mad She sounds ill enough now, without having to deal with flea treatments!

Do you have a fine-toothed comb?A human hair comb is fine....

Comb her with the fine toothed comb.. have her stand on newspaper. Comb her and comb her- methodically-a lot of fleas will fall off/be collected in the comb.. roll up the paper and bin it.

gently wash/wipe her face/eyes with cold black tea or chamomile tea. a few times a day...

Dilute her milk with water- she needs to drink .

keep her cool, and quiet.

X2 PLEASE no more chemicals for this puppy. Supermarket spotons are very well known for causing reactions, especially in a dog so small as a 10 week old JRT puppy.

Washing her every day is way over the top even if she's not sick. Milk is totally unnecessary (and an expense you can cut out) - give her clean fresh water and leave it down at all times. If she is thirsty she will drink.

Perhaps when your pays get sorted out you could investigate pet insurance or start an account with a vet. If you have a good record of doing a direct deposit $5 or $10 a week most will be happy to treat your dog in an emergency even if the amount of your credit doesn't quite cover the cost of treatment.

Good luck

I've tried every vet in the area and they are all closed until tomorrow! The emergency center requires a 50% deposit so thats not an option either until tomorrow...

The AEC Frankston is open now and until 9am tomorrow morning.

But they require money upfront, which I don't have until tomorrow morning.

She's no worse than what she was yesterday, its just the other eye is starting to look puffy and weepy. I've worked out the finances and will pay the full vet bill tomorrow, if there was a vet open today that would let me pay tomorrow I'd take her right now.

I've tried every vet in the area and they are all closed until tomorrow! The emergency center requires a 50% deposit so thats not an option either until tomorrow...

She's no worse than what she was yesterday, its just the other eye is starting to look puffy and weepy. I've worked out the finances and will pay the full vet bill tomorrow, if there was a vet open today that would let me pay tomorrow I'd take her right now.

Jass, if you are happy and willing to take your little pup down to Frankston AEC now, (if you cannot find anywhere else open) and you are willing to pay the sorts of fees that they may charge (keeping in mind that we have no idea exactly what is wrong with the pup at this stage), I will call my credit card details through to them for you and pay upfront, if you can pay me back tomorrow.

I have spent thousands there, so I am a known client of theirs.

Please let me know if you want to take up my offer and we can exchange details via PM.

:mad

Edited by dyzney

X2 PLEASE no more chemicals for this puppy. Supermarket spotons are very well known for causing reactions, especially in a dog so small as a 10 week old JRT puppy.

Washing her every day is way over the top even if she's not sick. Milk is totally unnecessary (and an expense you can cut out) - give her clean fresh water and leave it down at all times. If she is thirsty she will drink.

Perhaps when your pays get sorted out you could investigate pet insurance or start an account with a vet. If you have a good record of doing a direct deposit $5 or $10 a week most will be happy to treat your dog in an emergency even if the amount of your credit doesn't quite cover the cost of treatment.

Good luck

Thanks, I'll ask about starting an account at our vet tomorrow, with the two cats needed their vaccs this year it will be handy. Some decent flea control will have to wait until we've controlled the current problem.

I've called every vet in the area that I can physically get to, all closed :mad

Jass, if you are happy and willing to take your little pup down to Frankston AEC now, (if you cannot find anywhere else open) and you are willing to pay the sorts of fees that they may charge (keeping in mind that we have no idea exactly what is wrong with the pup at this stage), I will call my credit card details through to them for you and pay upfront, if you can pay me back tomorrow.

I have spent thousamds there, so I am a known clint of theirs.

Please let me know if you want to take up my offer and we can exchange details via PM.

I'll call them and see if they think its an emergency, thank you for the offer. I'll let you know.

I'll call them and see if they think its an emergency, thank you for the offer. I'll let you know.

OK, will wait to hear back from you.

also I have already phoned them to clear it with them, all good.

OK, will wait to hear back from you.

also I have already phoned them to clear it with them, all good.

Dyzney,

A very kind and most generous offer. :mad I hope the OP takes you up on this, poor little puppy.