Waddle Walk

Jimmay

Tyson has a real waddle to his walk, has ever since he was a pup. I've never thought much of it but i've had people at the park comment on how he 'walks funny' and ask if there's something wrong with him. :) He only waddles when walking at a slow pace, he doesn't when he goes into a trot or run so i've been feeling realy guilty when I make him heel at my pace because it appears to be quite cumbersome for him. ;)

I took a video to try and give you guys an example.

Does anyone elses dog walk like this? I was thinking it may just be because he was wide set back legs or something, I don't know.

Tyson has a real waddle to his walk, has ever since he was a pup. I've never thought much of it but i've had people at the park comment on how he 'walks funny' and ask if there's something wrong with him. :crossfingers: He only waddles when walking at a slow pace, he doesn't when he goes into a trot or run so i've been feeling realy guilty when I make him heel at my pace because it appears to be quite cumbersome for him. :crossfingers:

I took a video to try and give you guys an example.

Does anyone elses dog walk like this? I was thinking it may just be because he was wide set back legs or something, I don't know.

Bert sort of walks like a crab with his legs slightly to the side :)

Maybe just look at it like one of those idiosyncrises that makes each dog unique

i dont know about tyson's waddle but boy, he is a cutie ;)

Awww Tyson is so adorable looking ! :)

Joey has a bit of a weird walk, not so much a waddle tho. Can't explain it ! LOL I think his feathering on his back legs makes it more noticeable.

It's just one of his idiosyncrasy (sp?) as BertandSally pointed out about her Bert ;-)

Could be the big rudder on the back of him lol. Just looks like he's wagging his wik too much and wiggle butting when slow walking. Scout does similar when in wiggle butt wagging wik mode. He looked like he was walking normally when his wik was still long enough.

Tyson is pacing. Rather than move two legs on the diagonal in a trot, he's moving both legs on the same side at once. That's why he appears to have such a waddle.

It's not uncommon at a slow pace in dogs and not symptomatic of anything in particular. He may lack some front or rear angulation making his trot a bit uneven until he speeds up.

My guess is he rarely trots very slowly?

He's *cough* a good doer isn't he. :)

Has he ever seen a chiropractor? My first impression is that he's a bit stiff. How old is he?

Edited by poodlefan

Thank's for the input guys!

Awww Tyson is so adorable looking !

Hehe he's such a sook, as soon as he reached me in the video he gave me a lick on the cheek and plonked himself into my lap. (as always) :eat:

My guess is he rarely trots very slowly?

Has he ever seen a chiropractor? My first impression is that he's a bit stiff. How old is he?

Yes he prefers to do a quick trot or run.

He's almost two.

:Edited to add - No never seen a chiropractor, any recommendations?

Edited by Jimmay

Robert Humphreys from Jimboomba way. Used by a lot of the agility people and has been around for well over 20 years. Cant find his contact number just at the moment sorry.

Toni Lynch - she works from the Manly Road Veterinary Hospital. She did amazing things with Meisha. She's a vet, muscle manipulator & chiro.

Bakari kind of waddles like that too, I've been meaning to take him to her... really should book that in!

Tyson sure is a chunky little hunk :eat:

My little dog walks on his tip toes (back legs) and he also does bunny hops every now and then and has a 'stiffish' gait .... does Tyson ever do little bunny hops when he's trotting? My dog is 9 years old and I recently discovered that he has hip dysplasia :rofl: It's likely that he's had it most of his life.

A vet can do a physical exam of Tyson's hips and give you and idea of whether it may be worthwhile have x-rays done on Tyson's hips .... it may be possible that he has earley signs of HD. If he does and you get onto it now then you can begin to make him more comfortable now rather than later.

Fingers crossed his waddle is not HD.

I tend to think that if it doesn't look normal, it probably isn't. And that waddle/sway isn't a normal walk. I'd be inclined to get his hips and spine checked by either a vet or chiro or both. It might very well be the way he's put together, but at least you'll then know.

He's pretty cute - but that left leg looks as if it swivelling or something....

Hope you can find out what's happening soon :eat:

Thats what I thought too Persephone, his hock seems to be throwing out.

I do know that pacing in dogs aint a good sign!! I would be having him checked out.

He is very handsome by the way, looks like he may have ridgy in him!

Rat

Gosh guys my stomach dropped when I read hip displasia. I'll definately get him checked out asap, I realy hope that isn't the case. :rofl: My poor boy suffers enough with his skin issues let alone ending up with that as well.

:mad:mad:mad Sorry, forgot all about the waddle, I was fascinated by the baby miner video :rofl::(:rofl: OMG! What an incredible boy Tyson is :eat::rofl:

Hehe i'm glad you enjoyed it. :rofl:

I also really enjoyed the baby miner video! So sweet, how lovely is Tyson!

As far as i know pacing is okay - sometimes. To get him pacing for that long without a display of any kind of correct gait is different and something to look into. He does look a bit stiff in the way he walks this all may be because it's a little bit painful and walking that way eases it.

I hope we're wrong though, but get it checked out - for Tyson's comfort and yours! :eat:

Edited by Bindii