Survey For Dangerous Dog Legislation On Vic Dpi

gundoglover

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erny right hand side, look for a bright yellow box with dangerous dogs symbol.

This is the first question and it has me concerned.

If a stray dog is suspected by a council officer to be a danger to the public by virtue of its size, breed or disposition and it is also not registered – should councils have the power to immediately size and destroy the dog?

Erny right hand side, look for a bright yellow box with dangerous dogs symbol.

This is the first question and it has me concerned.

If a stray dog is suspected by a council officer to be a danger to the public by virtue of its size, breed or disposition and it is also not registered – should councils have the power to immediately size and destroy the dog?

Agree, Grumpette. I went to that and decided it was a bit of a loaded question. I am not prepared to endorse approval of power to a council officer to have a dog destroyed because some Council Officer 'thinks' it might be a danger because it is big; or because the Council Officer has been coached (brain washed) in Breed Specific Legislation. And what of the words "by virtue of its disposition" ??? What "disposition" are they talking about?

I may even answer the question in a similar vein to what I've just said. But I decided it is too late for me to put proper thought into it so I'll re-address this (and the other questions) again tomorrow.

Thanks Gundoglover, while some of the questions were somewhat loaded, I completed the survey and made some suggestions. It took me a while to do though ('cos I'm a slow thinker) it's just as well that I'm on holidays.

Completed the survey. I think everyone needs to stand up for the idea that a dog should not be condemned to death (or confinement as 'dangerous') without a fair trial. I'm reminded of a recent local story where dog bit child and got the green needle. After the lethal dose was administered they discovered that the poor dog's ear was full of staples . . . it bit the kid only as a last resort in attempt to escape torture. Mindless slinging of the 'dangerous' label helps neither dogs, nor people.

Honestly, I found the survey to be quite repugnant.

Although I think its great that we get to have say...how far does that really stretch?

I agree with you Erny about the questions being loaded...i just found the whole survey that way!

I hope as many people that can will make the time to fill this survey out.

I added lots of stuff about people abusing dogs :) eg suggested that Vets be asked to report any dog abuse cases they encounter to the authorities. :D Also that instead of running around destroying every dog they come across maybe councils etc should be looking at imposing AND ENFORCING decent penalties on the OWNERS who neglect their animals and create dangerous dogs (of all breeds) in the first place.

Sorry - couldn't help myself