Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

Thanks guys, we think she's gorgeous too when she's not being naughty and destroying remote controls. :( She has her first show in just over a week, so I'm looking forward to that. :(

Kirst, I hope you have some fantastic news this morning. ;)

Edited by whiskedaway

NESTING :(

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I think both of my kids are pretty special ;)

jrm88 - I'm planning to be at Kepala in April, pending the show, obed and herding schedule, but if we are and you guys make it too our pups can play together.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe I will be there ! I love that kepala is on a sunday so no chance of me working!!

Whereabouts in melb are you smoothiegirl??

just a question to everyone. Did you have a name picked out for your puppy before you even knew if you were getting one/which one you were getting or did you wait till you met the pup and picked it from there?

With Halo we had the name picked, with Akira she was nameless for a couple of hours until we found one for her. I loved the name Halo, but I didn't want to name her for sure until I knew which one was ours - however I started calling her "Halo" in my head and the name stuck. Luckily it suited her, even though she is naughty. :)

just a question to everyone. Did you have a name picked out for your puppy before you even knew if you were getting one/which one you were getting or did you wait till you met the pup and picked it from there?

I started throwing around names as soon as we knew. I wanted to call him Turbo, to go with Diesel.. but I'm really glad we didn't because he's not a "Turbo" because he's so laid back, that if he was any more relaxed he'd go backwards ;) However, if he was a permanently hyperactive nutcase, it would suit! In the end, he got Bundy, because we both like Bundy rum and OH wouldn't agree to anything else :) It really suits him.

We did. We knew we wanted a male pup, and since Akitas are such a large breed, we wanted a name that meant "big", and we wanted it to be Japanese. Hence we called him Kyojin which means colossal or giant.

I think we've got all of the essentials like dog food, chew toys and treats but I get the feeling that I'm missing something important :)

Somewhere to sleep - we'll be crate training so I already have the crate. Need to get some bedding.

Grooming brush/comb - I've been advised to groom for a few minutes each day for the first couple of weeks to help with bonding

Baby gates or play pen - for confinement to a room or area

Doggy door

Pet insurance (if you're going to get some)

Booking for puppy pre-school

Storage container for the dog food

Thanks for the help!

We have her house for the balcony (we live in an apartment) and also a pillow for the living room.

Still need to get a comb but she's so affectionate and loves cuddles so I'm not too worried about bonding. But I think we still have a long way before she'll be her true self at home, she's extremely shy and timid.

Here's Bobbi...!

IMG-20110221-00194.jpg

IMG-20110222-00204.jpg

Nawww, look at Bobbi! :) And I love that ikea pillow. My parents have a MS called Nelson, he's such a top little dog.

Well, I signed off Sid's limited register paperwork today. His breeder emailed me and told me that he's getting more pigment through (yay!) and he's very bossy - lol. Poor Lola isn't going to know what hit her!

Edited by huga

Yip-e-dee-do-da, yip-e-dee-day we are off to get our puppy today!! :love:

Woohoo. After 3-odd months, our darling boy Koda will land at Perth airport in one and a half hours. We are off now to collect our daughter from school and then straight to the airport for us it is!!

We are soooooooo excited to be welcoming our little tri-Cavalier, into our hearts and home.

I promise photos within the next day or so. DH is just trying to coax the cat out of his crate so we can go. :love:

Woohoo Aannie!!!

How old is Sid now, Huga? I received Halo's papers back from DogsSA after they were transferred last week - of course, they got ABSOLUTELY SOAKED because it was bucketing down. Thankfully they dried out alright - the other letter in the letterbox must have been shielding it slightly because that one was destroyed.

Do you have an OH that will check the receipts :love: I've been given a budget of $500 by hubby - but that does include $250 for a dog door that will go through a brick wall. I've only bought toys and the crate so far - need to get cracking!...

Luckily my OH doesn't check receipts. We've spent around 600-700 on all the dog stuff we've needed. That includes the dog kennel, crate, toys, urine off, bowls, collar, lead, id tag, blankets, etc.

And we also had to purchase some fencing which was super expensive. And then the puppy itself. But every dollar has been worth it. I've waited to own a dog for so long so I don't care if it's spoilt. But I can safely say I bought the very last item today. All that's needed now is some puppy food and the puppy!

Huga, Sid sounds like a real character. Can't wait to see more pictures of him. When do you see him next? When he comes home?

Annie, congrats!!! You must be sooo excited. A friend of mine has a Cavalier at the moment. They are great dogs. I love the name Koda. It reminds me of Brother Bear (a movie I love). If you get another dog you should call in Kenai. :love:

I've have to adjust one of our fences too, it's cyclone fencing but has a small gap underneath (big enough for a bubby Frenchie to squeeze under). We have some chicken wire, so I think I'll just use that.

He does sound like a character! I can't wait! Probably won't see him again until we pick him up. The breeder lives a little while away and if I go down through the week I have to drag the kids along. Weekends are mostly out because that's when I shoot weddings and she is a dog trainer, so has clients then too.

tanteNdut - bobbie is lovely pic of him on his back is fab.

Aannie - well by now you'll have your little pup with you how exciting hope you have a good first night with him look forward to seeing some pics.

Huga - I really think sid is the cutest puppy I have ever seen can't wait for more pics once you get him home.

2 more days and we'll see our little boy for the first time :love:

NESTING :shrug:

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I think both of my kids are pretty special :eek:

jrm88 - I'm planning to be at Kepala in April, pending the show, obed and herding schedule, but if we are and you guys make it too our pups can play together.

I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe I will be there ! I love that kepala is on a sunday so no chance of me working!!

I'm in Spotswood, where are you?

I had two picked, one for a tricolour and one for a sable. I'm still saving the name for a tri and I picked the name Ren back last Oct. I did dither a little with it the week before I brought him home because its quite unusual and didn't think it appealed to many, but at the end of the day decided it will suit him when he's a full grown dog. I wanted a short name that's easy for herding, and not a name ending in an 'e' or 'a' sound, because I already have a Bront'e' and a Lar'a' in the house.

Bronte was always going to be Bronte, I'm a bit book and author obsessed.

NESTING :shrug:

Thanks for the lovely comments everyone, I think both of my kids are pretty special :eek:

I'm in Spotswood, where are you?

Ooooh :D Other side of city! Im in narre warren. Was hoping we could organise a playdate if you were close haha :rofl: