Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I wrote an essay to ours! Sheesh, poor woman.

I told her who we were, what we did for work and what our hours were like, what pets we had, what we want from a pet, why we think the breed was ideal for us, our living situations and our timeframe.

I broke the rules a bit and asked what price we were looking at and asked whether she was happy to transport as we are interstate.

Got lovely responses from those who responded, had a few who didn't bother, but ultimately for the best.

Really I just approached it like writing a dating profile, HAHA. I really did.

haha I described it to a friend as like a very important, overly personal job interview laugh.gif

Especially when it then goes on to meeting in person, some want references :D Oh and then you get to check out 'the work place'!

8 days to go for me, unofficially though, depends on how the 8 week vacs take :D

The worst! I'm running on an aprox timeframe, but it's the bare minimum so I will likely be disappointed.

How's the puppy proofing going?

Hasn't started, I've been flat tack at work making sure funds are ready for both the pup and upcoming needs like vacs etc, also a new car coming in means I need to move on a few bits as the miss's car has decided to die on us.

But its all planned out, going to be boarding up any holes in the garden and adding a temp fence to the siding so play time out there is safe and dog friendly on saturday, going to be heading to bunnings to get compost fences to make a large pen indoors for him while we are out and to also block of certain entrances while we are home (carpeted area's mainly), heading to a large petstock near me for initial suppliers (bed, bowls, collar, brushes, shampoo etc) next comes ensuring there are no gaps under sofa's or areas in his "zone" that he could be trapped or hurt, also making it so no low level cabinets can be opened and all chemicals are on a top shelf, no sockets within chewing range and if there are any putting child safety covers over them.

I was hoping this would be the best place to ask since everyone has more then likely already gone through this. I'm starting to look into another dog. I've had a look into a few breeders so far and was just wondering about making initial contact. One breeder seems to use a contact form with questions so that's not to bad, but some of the others just have the email us option. Now I've never gotten a dog through a registered breeder before so not to sure what the process is like. For a first email I was thinking I'd just mention I'm looking for a new puppy, what I'd hope to do with the dog and mention a little bit about my current dog and let the rest go from there. Is there anything else I should mention, perhaps things I shouldn't be mention?

Ben and Jerry, this is how it went for me. I posted a thread here on Dogzonline about what breed would be suitable for me and my partners lifestyle that would also have a personality that would fit us as well, after a nice discussion with lots on the forums a very nice breeder actually contacted me to see her Aussies, had no intention at the time of purchasing and pups and didn't even know there were some available, but the breeder was awesome to deal with and the time was right and the breed was right, so we found our Koda right there and then.

Just saw your last post, maybe post a looking for pup post in the Kelpie thread here on dogzonline (under general, sub forum breeds)

if you are contacting via email just make sure there is some info about your lifestyle and what you are looking for in the dog so the breeder can judge if his/her pups will suit you :)

and try to get to meet them in person and see the pups and also assess the quality of life and facilities the breeder is using, do not be pressured into making a purchase, this is a companion for 10-15 years of your life and if you are not happy with the breeder and how they run the show simply say thanks for you time and walk away.

Jack

Edited by JackC

4 Nights to gooooooo.............

I'm off to buy some of those nifty panels from Bunnings today.

My local didn't have the smaller black ones but they did have larger silver ones in packs of 4 and if I flipped them sideways it made a really nice size area for only $28, I then bought a pack of double locking zip-ties which made a really good join, bought two sets as I needed to also block off a few sidings in my yard, also got some of that black copper piping foam insulation tube to put on the bottom but will probably not use it as its prime meat for chewing haha, might add it to the side though to stop any wall dents.

:) Puppy sleeping area...sorted....those Bunnings panels are AWESOME.

I reckon I'm all covered till I need a Rottie sized crate. :D (really hoping that I can get her settled in a soft crate).

Collar and Lead sorted. A small selection of toys, sorted.

I do have to get her a bowl though.

4 Nights to gooooooo.............

I'm off to buy some of those nifty panels from Bunnings today.

My local didn't have the smaller black ones but they did have larger silver ones in packs of 4 and if I flipped them sideways it made a really nice size area for only $28, I then bought a pack of double locking zip-ties which made a really good join, bought two sets as I needed to also block off a few sidings in my yard, also got some of that black copper piping foam insulation tube to put on the bottom but will probably not use it as its prime meat for chewing haha, might add it to the side though to stop any wall dents.

I've never seen black ones there before? Just the silver compost bin ones. :)

Not long to go now Dory. :D Nacho has pretty much chewed the Velcro tabs off his soft crate lol. I'm thinking of maybe getting a metal one for during the day and just using the soft crate in my room for sleeping.

We just found out which little dude is ours, he's a total spunk!!!

Excellent, Steph!

Willow is still going to be a surprise. All I know so far is she's very nice, elegant and loves her tucker.

(Shhhh...don't tell my daughter...but...I don't think I was as excited as I am now)

[probably because daughter is 17, and almost growed up now]

Melina I'm going with the one at Calwell vet as its the only one I could do as I work some nights!

Scout is such a sweet pup I'm so happy with him!

Hope u get your pup back soon :)