Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

That sounds like a good one Sujo! The one we took Sam too 11 years ago was like that too, when there was play it was short and incorporated.

The obedience club doesn't do puppy classes unfortunately so I'm stuck with the crappy vet ones if I want to. They are hoping to do puppies but apparently no-one will rent them a place to be able to do it. So they do beginner obedience from a minimum age of 13 weeks.

He he. I run our puppy classes. Although told the boss that someone else can take over while I focus on my pup.

Also FINALLY found a club to train with. Sooooo looking forward to it. Just need a puppy now!

Although.....there are still toys and bowls and a collar.....

Dory isn't into toys. Hope the puppy is, because I've seen a lot I want. (Note...I...want LOL)

Hahaha, we're way ahead too. Already have a few books and toys and little things stashed away in a box under the bed, I just buy 'em when I see cool ones. Easier in dribs and drabs than all at once (at least on the ol' bank account....)

I'm soooo excited, my new British Bulldog puppy will be coming home in just under 4 weeks......

Pics?

Congrats! I hope it will fly by for you.

I'm waiting for first photos this weekend.

No photo's yet, I've met the litter, but not sure which one will be mine, not even sure what sex I'm getting at the moment, but will definitely be drowning people in photos once it's all decided rofl1.gif

I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, I've shopping for:

Beds

blankies

show trolley

clothes for puppy, cos it'll be cold in a few weeks lol

door gate thingy - so puppy can't get to my older dogs unles I want them to

no toys yet, so now I'll have to look for them too lol

thumbsup1.gif

Another step closer to puppy, just spoke to the breeder, She has a puppy that sounds like he would fit what I am after perfectly. Just need to fill out the questionaire and we go from there.

I'm excited but also a bit sad. I wish I still had my Missy dog here and I feel sad when I think about how much she loved playing with puppies.

--Lhok

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Our little Yorkie will be coming home in mid-May, he's my first dog ever so I'm really excited. I've been doing a lot (A LOT) of research over the past year but there are always little niggling doubts or questions, so I was really lucky to find an Australian-based forum.

I'm new to Australia too, and I don't know anyone with dogs, so the local social club (found it via de sub-forum) might be a lifesaver! I also want to take Louis (yes, a Yorkie named after the Sun King) to the RSPCA puppy school. Has anyone heard any good/bad things about it? Do they vary a lot from state to state?

We've only seen Louis once, but are due to see him again this coming week. I'll try to take pictures and post them.

Mel xx

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Our little Yorkie will be coming home in mid-May, he's my first dog ever so I'm really excited. I've been doing a lot (A LOT) of research over the past year but there are always little niggling doubts or questions, so I was really lucky to find an Australian-based forum.

I'm new to Australia too, and I don't know anyone with dogs, so the local social club (found it via de sub-forum) might be a lifesaver! I also want to take Louis (yes, a Yorkie named after the Sun King) to the RSPCA puppy school. Has anyone heard any good/bad things about it? Do they vary a lot from state to state?

We've only seen Louis once, but are due to see him again this coming week. I'll try to take pictures and post them.

Mel xx

Oh how exciting Mel !! and welcome to DOL and Australia ! thumbsup1.gif

Our puppy was named after the Moon, so I can relate !biggrin.gif

I dont know how active their thread is but there is a Yorkshire Terrier thread in the subforum section, you might want to check out at some stage . http://www.dolforums...kshire-terrier/

most local vets run puppy classes too :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Thank you for the welcome! Jules, I looked and looked for a Yorkie thread and couldn't find it, so double thanks to you!

So you recommend the vet's puppy classes over the RSPCA? I think that seems to be the general consensus in my introduction thread too.

Hi Melina, I dont know anything about the RSPCA ones.. It was just easy for us to go to our local vet one. It only went for 5 weeks (one night a week) Some areas have dog obedience clubs which also have puppy classes, and these days there are also private instructors who run puppy/dog training courses, altho they can be more exxy than obedience clubs.

Your puppy will need to have had initial vaccinations :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I know some of you are torn to pieces wondering if you are betraying your dogs at the Bridge by welcoming a new one into your family, so here is a poem that is what I believe goes on up there when the time is right.

Enjoy

It’s time to send you a gift

He wandered towards them, there was excitement in the air,

He said “I have a special friend, and I need someone to care”

As He chatted at the Rainbow Bridge while sitting on the ground,

One dog listened carefully as He spoke, he didn’t make a sound.

The dog thought hard, considered it, before he finally spoke up,

“I think I know the perfect family for this little pup.

My humans are grieving me since I was called back home,

But I know they need a friend, so they are not alone.”

They need a companion, they have so much that they can give,

And this dog needs a family, for as long as he shall live.

This puppy needs a strong, loving, gentle and steady hand,

Truly I can think of no better home, in the whole of the land.

I know it will be hard for them, they loved me through the years,

But honestly, I can’t stand to see them sad, I hate to see the tears.

They may not think it now, but their heart will expand with love,

When they meet this gift I want to send, straight from Heaven above.

Tikira 2013

I know Tippy will be bouncing around like the "Crazy dog" he was when he can finally see his Mum smile again. so we are waiting for his sign to us.

Edited by tikira

Hi Mel and welcome :)

I'm currently taking my puppy to school at the RSPCA, and we are both enjoying it. The classes are an hour long, and the puppies need to have had at least one vaccination when they start. I think our class goes for 7 weeks with the first being a no dogs lecture, but I've lost track due to all the public holidays. They seem to run new classes quite often.

With my older dog, I took her through class at our vet, and that was also good. It was run by a Delta certified instructor and included lots of info that's helpful for new puppy owners. The RSPCA class doesn't touch on that stuff much.

There are also a few dog clubs to choose from in the ACT, but you may find the ages of the dogs in your class may vary. Also you might not get that useful first dog owner info there either. They are definitely cheaper than the vet or RSPCA classes, I'm not sure about all the clubs, but at our club you pay for a whole year of classes, so it's much better value.

Thanks Misteri, lots of info! I think I'll be doing the junior puppy class with RSPCA, and everything else through a dog club.

It might all change between now and enrolment time, but ive been offered so much information here that I'm confident of making a good decision :-)

Edited by Melina Bea