Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

I have to say, as a breeder, that it is really interesting to see things from the "other" side in this thread and to witness the excitement and preparations that are going on in homes waiting for new puppies.

I've been there myself of course, but I forget about the sheer novelty value of bringing a new puppy home.

The litters I have at home now, I approached very much with the prospective owners in mind. Those who had been in contact with me for some time prior to the bitches even being bred were updated weekly with progress photos of everything as it happened up until the birth of the puppies and beyond.

Sadly, I had to inform the people on my American Cocker list that they wouldn't be getting a puppy this time around as there were only two born and one had to be euthanased at 3 weeks. It is for this reason that I never make "promises" to anybody about what they will, or will not be getting from the litter in advance. I hate disappointing people.

The Stafford litter however, I had more puppies than interested parties and so my second round of advertising and sorting through enquiries has begun. And I am still keeping in the back of my head how it is for the puppy person and trying to deal with them sympathetically and kindly, even if I don't wish to sell them a puppy. When the litter were born, I started my weekly weigh-ins and photograph sessions and sending out the weekly PUPdate emails. I was told the other day when I delivered one of the babies to her new home that they had literally "hung out" for every Sunday and the PUPdate to the point where they'd turn the computer on at 7am and check it hourly to see if the new photos had arrived. That was sweet! :rofl:

So anyway, thank you all for opening my eyes (again) to the other side. It has been useful to me as well as you guys! :rofl:

I'm another one who's waiting for a puppy. We're waiting on a shetland sheepdog, hopefully a tri-colour. :thumbsup: We've picked our breeder quite a while ago, they have a litter at the moment but they're keeping them for potential show dogs at this stage. They're expecting another litter in July and we have first option on a puppy. So exciting.

We're going to Hong Kong in April, I plan to look for some different puppy toys there. I haven't bought any puppy stuff yet, as its too far off. I also plan to crate train, which I've never done before, so no doubt there will be a million questions.

Congratulations to everyone else who's getting a new family member soon.

Awwwwwww she is adorable !!!!!!! Poor little thing missing her mummy & litter mates :thumbsup: Hopefully she will start to adjust soon so you can get some sleept !! :thumbsup:

JulesP - I am like you, dont think i'll get much sleep at all on Friday night !! Actually, I'll prob get more sleep Fri than what I will Sat night !! lol

Glad we could help Ellz :D For ppl like me (and most of us here by the sounds of it) we have all been waiting for a long time, even before the bitch has come in to season, so really its like we are apart of it all from the very beginning, and thanks to my girl's breeder of course for keeping us up to date with everything the whole way, it really makes it easier for us ! :rofl:

Melbourne, Miss Lielani. Our breeder is based in Geelong. I'm learning what patience is all about. From when I put my name down for a pup its been about 5 months so far, and will still be a while longer. My husband is nowhere near as patient as me, once he decides he wants something, he wants it NOW!! Lucky I'm the voice of reason and will be sticking with the breeder who has given so much of her time already. We're going to meet the current litter in about a months time, so excited about that too. Any excuse for more sheltie cuddles.

I love collies too, but didn't want a huge dog and hubby has wanted his own sheltie since he met one when he was a kid. He's the one who introduced me to them actually.

I've been thinking about what sort of collar to get for a sheltie, with all that hair you won't see it anyway. What type do you use for a collie?

Ellz ~ Yes it is like waiting for the ultimate present, you know you'll get one, but you never know when. Then when you do know you count the days off. I'm like your buyers always at the computer for news or updates....but we forget the breeder can be very busy and maybe not able to get to the computer until later that day or the next :thumbsup: But at least you know how excited we are to be getting a pup, and the longer you wait the more wanted they are I think.

I went on a spending spree today :thumbsup: I bought:

Kong

Rope Ball

Hippo Squeaky Toy

A mat to put the food and water bowl on.

A pet bed

A rubber hand mitt for brushing

I am sourcing out a crate.....I keep getting told a 76cm one, but a Frenchie breeder has 107cm one and said they are better if they are bigger. I kind of thought they were supposed to be a certain size so they dont have room to go toilet in it ( enough room to sit, stand and turn around and lay down)......I'm confused. I don't know what to get now! :D Any help is much appreciated?????

Thanks

PS Michelle ~ With the longer haired dogs I get the collars that aren't too thick. If you get the thick ones the dog ends up with fur pointing in two different directions, up and down :rofl: if they are too thin they might get the fur tangled in it. So just get a medium one. When just being around the house I don't use a collar at all. I only put the collar on when taking them out in the car or for a walk.

Edited by Bluefairy

omg shes adorable,

hello to my fellow pup waiters.... im still awaiting heat news my breeder told me last night mum 1 is due in jan and mum 2 in feb so HURRY UP mums go into heat heheh.

im so impatent too but i know the wait will be worth it and the longer u wait the more you want. :thumbsup:

Still waiting here! 4 and a half weeks to go..

I'm thinking I should have looked closer at your ad, Ellz! I'm still waiting for my pup update :thumbsup: Hopefully it will all be worth the waiting in a few weeks! :thumbsup:

I'm thinking I should have looked closer at your ad, Ellz! I'm still waiting for my pup update :rofl: Hopefully it will all be worth the waiting in a few weeks! :rofl:

:thumbsup: Oh well, still two little boys here looking for homes if you know of anybody who wants one. :(

One black, one very stripey brindle. They'll stay here until they are old enough for nursing homes if nobody wants them. :D

The litter is being spread out with one girl in Cairns already, one in Melbourne and one going to Townsville in a week or so. I'm keeping two and have another going to his new home locally on the weekend IF I get my car back, otherwise it will probably be next weekend.

I just had another call from the guy who is possibly getting his boy on the weekend. He's SOOOOOOOOO excited!!! :thumbsup:

AND I just got a really lovely PUPdate from the girl in Cairns with some photos. It's just as nice receiving the PUPdates from the breeders' point of view! :rofl:

I'm thinking I should have looked closer at your ad, Ellz! I'm still waiting for my pup update :rofl: Hopefully it will all be worth the waiting in a few weeks! :rofl:

:thumbsup: Oh well, still two little boys here looking for homes if you know of anybody who wants one. :(

One black, one very stripey brindle. They'll stay here until they are old enough for nursing homes if nobody wants them. :D

The litter is being spread out with one girl in Cairns already, one in Melbourne and one going to Townsville in a week or so. I'm keeping two and have another going to his new home locally on the weekend IF I get my car back, otherwise it will probably be next weekend.

I just had another call from the guy who is possibly getting his boy on the weekend. He's SOOOOOOOOO excited!!! :thumbsup:

AND I just got a really lovely PUPdate from the girl in Cairns with some photos. It's just as nice receiving the PUPdates from the breeders' point of view! :rofl:

are these ur staffy pups i want one lol

Guest belgian.blue

I'm on the waiting list for a Grey Tervueren Belgian Shepherd puppy .. a male this time :thumbsup:

I will then be known as the crazy Belgian Shepherd lady :thumbsup:

Meeting the offspring from a breeder over East I'm really happy with, he has sent two Terv pups to Perth so I'm heading over to meet the dogs Sunday evening!

I'm on the waiting list for a Grey Tervueren Belgian Shepherd puppy .. a male this time :thumbsup:

I will then be known as the crazy Belgian Shepherd lady :thumbsup:

Meeting the offspring from a breeder over East I'm really happy with, he has sent two Terv pups to Perth so I'm heading over to meet the dogs Sunday evening!

awwwww how exciting

I've had weekly puppy updates this time. It has been fun and very distracting as it takes me a while to settle down afterwards, lol.

I met my pup's uncle tonight (mum's litter brother) and he was a just stunning, lovely natured dog.

Not long to go now!