Waiting For A Puppy This Thread Is For You

jess live die

First night went very well. Not a squeak out of her! I do 'cheat' though and leave one of the bigger dogs in. Poppy was babysitter last night and has gone from hating Amber to being her friend. No wees or poos inside either yet and I only got up once during the night. She is eating, drinking and toileting.

Am loving the Bunnings compost pens. Would definitely recommend putting them on your list. They are a wire crate and cost $26. I have attached mine to my crate for a nice little pen.

Am trying to get photos but she doesn't stay still for long and is usually dashing back to my feet! lol

can i see a pic to please of the pen

how exciting to have ur baby home

I left the crate door open Goldiegirl. She was in crate sleeping though when I got up last night and this morning. She is currently in the crate/pen without company and cried for about 30 seconds and is now quiet!

Here are some pics

The pen

nco51l.jpg

vfcp3t.jpg

1zr15ch.jpg

First night went very well. Not a squeak out of her! I do 'cheat' though and leave one of the bigger dogs in. Poppy was babysitter last night and has gone from hating Amber to being her friend. No wees or poos inside either yet and I only got up once during the night. She is eating, drinking and toileting.

Am loving the Bunnings compost pens. Would definitely recommend putting them on your list. They are a wire crate and cost $26. I have attached mine to my crate for a nice little pen.

Am trying to get photos but she doesn't stay still for long and is usually dashing back to my feet! lol

Can you take a photo of the pen? Sounds interesting

ETA: OOPS! Didn't realise you'd put it up right before lol

Edited by FD26

Thanks for the pics, and your pup is gorgeous, I love how everything is portioned equally :rofl:

I'm still undecided about a crate size.....for French Bulldogs....I breeder gets the big 107cm ones, but everywhere else they say to use a 76cm one.....now thats a huge size difference and a huge price difference....

What do you think?

I found one thats 92cm....half way kind of, but not sure. I don't want to spend the money and know I wasted it :rofl:

Bluefairy

I left the crate door open Goldiegirl. She was in crate sleeping though when I got up last night and this morning. She is currently in the crate/pen without company and cried for about 30 seconds and is now quiet!

Here are some pics

The pen

nco51l.jpg

vfcp3t.jpg

1zr15ch.jpg

looks great and you new little girl shes a stunner

You don't want your crate too big as then you might have problems with the pup toileting in the crate. Plus the smaller the crate the easier it is to carry, put in car etc. I do have 2 different sized crates, a smaller puppy one and a bigger soft crate.

Thanks for the pics, and your pup is gorgeous, I love how everything is portioned equally :rofl:

I'm still undecided about a crate size.....for French Bulldogs....I breeder gets the big 107cm ones, but everywhere else they say to use a 76cm one.....now thats a huge size difference and a huge price difference....

What do you think?

I found one thats 92cm....half way kind of, but not sure. I don't want to spend the money and know I wasted it :rofl:

Bluefairy

you want enough room for the dog to stand up, turn around and lie down flat .... for a Frenchie that would be I'd imagine the 76cm one although going bigger to 92cm can't hurt ... just gives them more room ....... are you getting a wire or a softcrate? .... if you are purchasing it online most places will list the breeds of dogs that it is most suitable for ... also remember as a pup they don't need access to the whole inside of the crate, you can buy dividers (if it is a wire crate) or create your own using old bedding etc (if it is a softcrate) to limit their access to the front section only ....

I personally don't see the point of buying 2 different sizes to me it would be a waste of money - my boys are in their own XL K9 soft crates - one is 9 weeks old the other is 19mths old difference is that the 19mth old has the full interior of the crate to sleep in and the 9week old only has the front section

Edited by FionaC

I just have the one crate as I never crate trained either of the goldens. This is the first time I am trying to do it as Willow will be a show dog. I will need to buy a soft crate for her to take to shows as well as the wire crate doesn't collapse and is quite heavy. It also won't fit in my car if it is up. Its the size she will need when she is grown up. I will eventually get one each for the other two as Phoenix seems to like sleeping in there, and given a chance Indy would too.

Thank you for your replies :rofl:

I wanted to get a wire crate, as it still gets warm in the house even with the aircon and fans on, so really too warm for a soft crate.

All the web sites I have checked out say for a Frenchie, a 76cm one is the right size as an adult. The breeder says she uses 107cm ones for her Frenchies, but I'm inclined to think this is too big and they will use one end for a toilet. I can get a 76cm one with a partition piece for pups, or the 92cm one without one.

I checked out a padded bed thats 76cm in length and it looks a great size, the 95cm one looked way too big :rofl:

Bluefairy

The pad I put in mine is one of those snooza ones that attach to the outdoor flea free beds, like the hession beds. Its slightly too big, but because it has velco on it I have attached it to the sides of the crate and it looks quite good now, and it doesn't move around.

I have just put Willow in her pen and crate by herself, I am trying to get her to be comfortable in there without company as I will need to go away for a few hours on Monday and I don't want to leave her outside with the goldens, I also don't particularly want to leave the goldens inside while I am gone, but I can if I have to. She whinged and carried on and broke out of it three times (she came prancing in eveytime), I didn't secure it very well. Finally I took my T-shirt off and put it in with her and within 30 sec she is quiet and fast asleep... seems like she needs my smell in there to be content. Oh well, atleast something has worked :rofl:

Thanks,

JulesP ~ Can you show me a pic of your 76cm crate with one of your dogs for comparison? I don't have anywhere here that sells them so I can look at one in real life and check it out. When I get one it will have to be online.

Thanks

Blurfairy

Congratulations on your new pup - she is devine - I think I'm in luv!

A 30 or a 36 inch crate will be fine for a Frenchie. I would be more inclined to get the 36 inch, so that the dog can lay with it's legs full stretched out. Even though they seem like fairly small dogs, we had ours in the same size crates as the Staffords, the Frenchies really appreciate the extra room, especially when it's hot.

36" would be the size that both my BC bitches have and they are 17kg and 14kg and have plenty of room. I can fit 2 of them inside a crate that size and they aren't squished at all. I think you could certainly get by with a smaller crate for a frenchie.

Thanks for the pics, and your pup is gorgeous, I love how everything is portioned equally :laugh:

What do you think?

I found one thats 92cm....half way kind of, but not sure. I don't want to spend the money and know I wasted it :thumbsup:

Bluefairy

:rofl: My Ridgie can fit himself in a 36" crate. Though it is a little small for him :rofl:

I would certainly go smaller, a crate does not have to be big at all - just comfortable enough for the dog to lay down, turn around etc. I would think that a Frenchie would be lost in a 36" crate :laugh: Plus the bigger the crate the more of a PITA it is to get in the car when you need to :rofl:

:) Thank you all so much,

Ok I'll definitely get the 76cm or 30" crate :) I don't intend moving it, well its not something I plan doing :D I have a harness and seat belt attachment so the Frenchie can sit between my 2 girls on the back seat (must remember to get a blanket for the back seat :) ) if we take her anywhere. But then again it might be something that comes up, so its better its a smaller crate for sure.

Wow now I can stop stressing about this....I am a walking stress ball....probably why I have a bad heart :) Thanks again.

Bluefairy :rofl: