Dog Fights - Organised Groups

WildatHeart

If the police won't do anything, do you have a local paper thats she could call??
What do we ask the papers Jodi?
What do we ask the papers Jodi?

I'm not Jodi . . . but suggest that there's a story about a dog fighting ring stealing dogs, and the police being unwilling to investigate. Include a sad story and a number for people to call if they have information. That would boost readership in the local fish wrap :D and might actually help the situation.

Someone else may have better suggestions . . . I'm not an expert . . . but this does sound like a cast that needs public attention.

I'm confused, i was replying to Jodi1981 but i'm sorry, i dont think its funny what you just said about the boosting readership. Just think how you would feel if someone made a joke about your missing dog, and think about the fact that it may be used for baiting...

ETA: sandgrubber, something like that would not normally bother me but i am worried about the dog. And the paper idea sounds great ill talk to my sister about it.

Sorry to be cynical at the wrong time. I find that papers are only interested in stories that readers find interesting. I do think your story falls into this category, so you may find local papers interested. I didn't mean it as a joke. It is a very serious situation. The sad conundrum is that it is often easier to get a situation taken seriously if you are able to embarass the authorities by going public . . . and the media live by selling copy.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I suggest that the newspapers are not called at this stage.

There is no confirmation that this is happening and to bring this to the publics attention may make the ring move camp.

Yes that seems logical. Plus the fact that the pup may have not even been stolen, its just one of many possible senerios.

There was a similar situation in logan and ipswich areas a while back with huskies and mals being targeted apparently they wanted the thicker fur so that they lasted longer :D Having a sibe and a chi it is something I get really worried about :D

There was a similar situation in logan and ipswich areas a while back with huskies and mals being targeted apparently they wanted the thicker fur so that they lasted longer :D Having a sibe and a chi it is something I get really worried about :D

Yeah i read that while researching this morning :rofl: I really do hope she isn't with these kind of people

There are dog fight rings "in your area" although not where you live, and it is quite possible that the dogs were stolen for bait/fighting. The RSPCA is aware of these rings, but probably not aware of the actual location.

I would tell the ACO of the council area where your sister lives. Also lodge a formal complaint about the theft to the police. If they will not let you make a formal complaint, tell them they most. Sometimes, they do not like to do reports on stolen dogs, because of the paperwork involved, and they often believe the dogs simply went walkabout. Also advise the RSPCA.

Kate Summer, you should report those dogs to the council ACO. It may not be anything, but it may be.

It's very sad that this happens, and we all need to keep our dogs secure.

Wild at heart I know someone in the town closest to you who lost their Cavalier - someone pulled palings off the 2m fence around the back yard to get the dog.

so sorry to hear this, my worst fear owning a bt too :)

when i lived in the uk my vet warned me never to leave my bully anywhere, he said there was fighting around us :thanks:

now i have one again, i worry when certain people pay an interest in him, get scared they will follow us home :o

My family dog a SBT went missing years ago.

The weekend he went, there were reports of others in the area diappearing from very secure yards.

This was in Wollongong.

I went to the RSPCA and the Police.

They told me that a major dog fighting syndicate was running in Wollongong.

I never got Ray back,it nearly broke my heart at the thought of that wonderfull gentle boy being used in the ring.

My boys looked for him for months.

This is really horrible, but a few years ago a cavalier in my mums street was stolen - he was going blind and could not physically get out of the yard - 6 foot fences, etc etc.

They were notified the dog had been found dead (via microchip) and they were questioned by police as it appeared the dog had been used for "baiting" purposes in an illegal dog fighting ring. Imagine how those people felt.... that would be one of my worst fears....

Oh my god. Not sure it gets any crueller than that - a poor defenceless old blind cavalier. What absolute *#@*@# these people are. Not fit to walk the same earth, breathe the same air as the dogs they torture.

Crazy to think that we still refer to these scum as people .

Theft of any of the fighting breeds and crosses is always a big possibility. If you are going to own SBTs, Amstaffs. Bull Terriers, Pit Bulls or crosses of them you need very tight security. They go missing from all over Aust, stolen to be used as bait to train fighting dogs. Entire males are most at risk but sometimes they just grab whatever they can. The dog fighting rings like to get hold of dogs they know will fight if attacked, but be beaten by their dogs.

No idea how you would find a fighting ring and the chances of the stolen dog being there would be slim. Most would never get near a real fight but would have been killed in a training fight. In this case with a female puppy, the most likely scenario is that she has been stolen for breeding, not fighting. Hope she was already desexed.

The fact that several dogs of that type have all disappeared makes me think they were definitely stolen. If the police are not interested the RSPCA may be. Contact them with the exact facts of which dogs are missing and the dates.

Unfortunately, dog fighting rings are very good at keeping their existance secret and that is why they still exist.

That is true - we had the unfortunate luck to come across one moron who was mouthing off about a dog fight out near Yass, NSW... Apparently an organised 'sport' that you can bet on (God my stomach still turns when I think about it)... He turned up here at our place with a friend of ours - our friend was very apologetic and did not realise his 'friend' was into that...

We reported it and they did get someone (a few years ago now) who was 'keeping' to many dogs...

We were told that sadly once they (dog fighters) are discovered, they just pack up shop and move somewhere else...

B@$tards that enjoy watching pain and suffering inflicted on others are below contempt :rofl:

I have no help or advice I can add Wildatheart, other than to send you support and positive thoughts that you and your sister will find the dog safe and well.

Edited by Robbi

Has a reward been posted for the missing dog?

Are there "LOST" posters with pics all over the community?

Don't assume theft and stop trying other avenues of finding the dog.

It's a young bitch.. there are other explanations. Was the pup desexed?

im getting a SBT and these have been freaking me out for the last week then to see a thread out it sends chills.

i hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread for a min.

dose anyone know if they take dogs/pups that they know are home on there own? or if they will go into a yard with anther dog?

or if they will take on a owner?

you just heard so many horrible things on dog fights :rofl:

i hope your sisters pup is safe and your sister gets her back ASAP nice and healthy

A couple years ago a townsville newspaper had a great write up on all this, it was a time when heaps of staffies went missing all at once, the directer of the RSPCA shelter basicaly said yes dog fighting is around and they know about it, and thefts do occur because of this, but also many other reasons for dog theft, such as stealing to sell, stealing to breed, and simply dogs getting out and lost.

They mentioned that some staffies fetch a high price such as the steel blue ones. They also said if theft is suspected, say a gates open or disturbed the police are the first point of call, it sets up a paper trail if anything should turn up, and it is documented if prosecution should occur.

I'l see if i can find the artile online, might be a long shot hough.

the way i found out about fighting dog organisations was through a kid...just chatting

wont mention any race religion or creed but you can usually get a feel for kids that might know something..the little guy i was talking to was 10 and none too bright

kids talk cos they usually dont know any better...

i wasnt fishing...the info was offered to me cos the kid had a dog that was fighting that friday night at a park he said

this was years

id be sussing out kids in the neighbourhood..the right kind of neighbourhoods obviously

if you cant do it..get some male friends in on the act