Dogs That Suckle Toys

18536_298470568205_532948205_4870856_144236_n.jpg

Shyla has these 2 toy ducks she's had since she came home and she uses them as suckle toys, she holds their head/neck under her leg and the ducks body becomes a dummy for her!

Is this behavior weird?? It seems to make her relaxed and she sleeps. Today she's done it heaps!! :thumbsup:

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our brown standard poodle did it her whole life - she would sometimes go to sleep licking and kneading her favourite toy between her front paws. She would also carry the toy around in between bouts of licking and make a funny little noise.

Strangely enough she was the only one of our three who didn't destroy stuffed toys - she had one favourite bear that lasted for 8 years - he did have to have surgery a few times LOL

DSCF0095.jpg

Edited by frufru

My oldest girl does it, I think this has been bought up before, and the general consensus was as Jimmay said, that like cats the dog may have came off its mother too early, this was definatley the case with my girl. She was the only one of my 4 that left her doggy family before 8 weeks. Who knows maybe they just do it for comfort??

My oldest girl does it, I think this has been bought up before, and the general consensus was as Jimmay said, that like cats the dog may have came off its mother too early, this was definatley the case with my girl. She was the only one of my 4 that left her doggy family before 8 weeks. Who knows maybe they just do it for comfort??

Mine came from the breeder older than eight weeks, but I don't know when she was removed from her dam.

She is the only dog I've ever had do it.

Awwww to Frodo.

Your picture is great too Fru Fru.

Bianca cuddles her toys, but doesn't suckle them. However when she's asleep, she puts her tongue out, hollows it and makes little sucking noises like she's suckling from her dam.

Pixie does it as well, it's very cute. :)

I'm not sure if it's the same with dogs, but i've been told when cats do that it's because they were taken from their mother too early.

My siamese x is notorious for suckling. It's quite annoying at the moment because she has gingivitis from teething and stink breath lol. I've heard as well that it can be from being taken away from mum too early, however with siameses it's a common occurance regardless - just a quirk of the breed.

The only advice I've been given is redirection when she's doing it, but honestly I don't see the point most times as there's no harm in it and it's rather endearing.

Moose likes to gather up a little bit of sheet/blanket/towel and suckle on that. I just thought he was a bit special. :)

ETA - he destroys his toys. I think the amount of stuffing in his bed has now exceeded the amount of toys.

Edited by moosepup

Jane does it too...with fluffy toys. She tends not to distroy them unless she has a doggy friend over and they play tug of war. The toy she sucks now is minus its head after one such incident so I just sewed the neck up and she still sucks on it! It looks abit creepy but she has had it for about 3 months now.

I don't discourage it as its about the only time she is well behaved and quiet! :) I'll even search it out and give it to her as a hint that its time to SETTLE!!!

BTW she looks sooo cute when she does it...she wraps her front paws around it and looks content but also just alittle bit embarrassed at the same time.

My Lagotto girls do it and also like to carry soft toys around. They don't destroy the softies except for chewing the button noses off! At about the time that they are due to whelp (even though they have not been bred) they collect soft toys and put them all in their bed.

My boy on the other hand is a destroyer of soft toys - rips heads and legs off and disembowels them. For him I buy expensive balls that are impossible to destroy, this is what he prefers anyway.

I don't think it has anything to do with being taken away from their mothers early. Have always thought it was more of a comfort thing and it does seem to put them to sleep.

Noels.