Non Country Of Origin Dog Names

RallyValley

'Ethnic' Dog Names  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you name your dog an ethnic name that isn't from the dogs country of origin?

• Yes
    • No

As you all may/may not know I named my Chesapeake Lincoln because I wanted an American name for him since he is an American breed. However I come from a Greek/Italian/Slovenian and really like some names from these countries. Do you think it's odd for a breed to have a name from a different counntry (e.g a Blue Heeler called Fiorella)?

Not odd at all and in fact is odder that you choose a name linked to the country of origin and not something which you like and which suits the dog.

Never would have considered only german names for my dog.

Oops - I hit no in my vote when I meant yes - the poll is worded opposite to the question in the OP.

Edited by Danois

Nope, I don't think it's odd. You should call your dog whatever you want to call it!

I really wanted a Japanese name for my show dog (Jap Spitz) but unfortunately none of the Japanese boy names that I liked seemed to suit. He ended up with the name Kyza, simply 'cos I really liked it and it suits him. A friend thought it was weird because 'Kaiser' is a German name, but pfffft - who cares. My boy ended up with a Japanese show name instead :)

My Australian Shepherds would need American names if so.. I quite like the idea of aussie names though.

Mine just get names i like, names i would consider for children etc.

Millie, Cooper and Jack.

I also like Charlotte, Lacey and Hamish

Quite a few of the tibbie owners give their dogs a Tibetan name...Tashi, Tenzing etc. Or sometimes they'll alter the spelling of an English name so it looks Tibetan. Like 'Doli' for 'Dolly'.

I have a new adult tibbie girl coming next week. She was born in Sweden (the Tibetan Spaniel is popular in Scandanavian countries). Her 'Swedish' call name is 'Annie'. Which suits a pert little blonde Swede.

But I'm adding 'Matilda' in honour of her dual doggie-citizenship. So she'll be 'Annie Matilda'.

post-3304-1264805141_thumb.jpg

When I named Caber, I wanted a Scottish name (he is a Border Terrier), but didn't want anything like Mac or Fergus. So mum suggested 'Caber' after the caber tossing activity.

However, with my bitch, I had a couple of Scottish girl names on my list, or the Scottish variant/spelling. BUT I also had some other names. And the one I went with was 'Ziva' which is Hebrew. It means 'splendid' or 'splendour' which I thought was fitting for a potential show/foundation bitch :rofl: and it suits her and is a great name to say every day (although now very popular :rofl: ).

Mums smooth Collie is Nessa, which also has a Scottish connection but I'm not sure where that variation actually originated/comes from. It means pure, anyway.

I like names that reflect the breed's country of origin but don't believe in any hard or fast rule regarding it (and frankly, there are some countries of origin with no or very few names I fancy. For eg: there are few Scottish names I actually like, especially for the males).

We look at all names ... German names are a bonus but not specifically required for the GSP's - I wanted a name that could be said in 3 ways (a long 3 syllable name, a short single syllable name and one that could be a "y" at the end - this is what we have with Mortimer, Mort & Morty already so we chose Archibald, Arch & Archie) .....

I thought Lincoln was English? There's been a town Lincoln since the first century BC. Americans stole it :rofl: xxx

Yeah Lincoln is an old English name - according to Google it apparently means "the settlement near the lake or pool" :rofl:

He ended up with the name Kyza, simply 'cos I really liked it and it suits him. A friend thought it was weird because 'Kaiser' is a German name, but pfffft - who cares.

I get that too, I didn't know about the name Kaiser at the time, nor did I know there were so many! :rofl: It just kind of came to me and I spelled it how I thought it sounded! There's a GSD around the corner from us called Kaiser, and whenever our dogs meet they are referred to as Big Kaiser and Little Kyzer :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: It doesn't matter I think....My Newfoundland is called Lady Annabella, we call her Annabelle............I am not sure how that fits with a newfoundland. Most have "boaty" names like Bosan, Captain or bear like names like Yogi or Grizzly. So I have Annabelle and Katy :eek::)

The only important thing is that the name means something to you

:rofl: :rofl: It doesn't matter I think....My Newfoundland is called Lady Annabella, we call her Annabelle............I am not sure how that fits with a newfoundland. Most have "boaty" names like Bosan, Captain or bear like names like Yogi or Grizzly. So I have Annabelle and Katy :D:)

The only important thing is that the name means something to you

My Newf was 'Spike' :eek: :D a stupider name for a Newf you could not have!!

I was thinking about Russian names for the Samoyeds but when it came down to the crunch they ended up with something totally different :rofl:

I want my next Samoyeds to be Chimera or Delain (for a girl) and Tarot (for a boy), so no Russian to be seen.

My animals dont usually get people names, the current themes are mythology, bands and characters.

I probably wouldn't give a Saluki a name like Vladimir any more than I would give Borzoi a name like Jamila.

I think your own heritage makes sense tho'. My first Saluki had a Western registered name and I also went for a Western call name (Lucy). That was partly because I felt I didn't have the expertise to know whether I was calling her "Ladies Toilets" in Arabic, if you know what I mean.

The litter my second Saluki was from was named by someone from the COO and his registered name didn't have any difficult back of the throat style pronunciation so I kept it for his call name as well (Jadir, means "worthy").

My third Saluki was bred by someone in the COO and he offered us a list of names to pick from. I picked Rabha for her registered name (she who always prevails) but it's quite hard to yell off the back of the porch with the appropriate pronunciation and Rab didn't seem very feminine so I went for Mab. Of course, that's now become Mabby, Mabbins, Mabbits who chases Rabbits, etc etc.

This is probably a long way of saying I would use either my heritage or my dogs heritage but would be very unlikely to pick something obviously from another heritage.

Edit, speaking of my heritage I do love PF's Howard for a dog's name and I once ran into a Schnauzer called Trevor which I thought was an awesome name. I'm not sure I'll ever call a Saluki by the kind of name you'd find in the public service gazette but if I get another breed watch out :rofl:

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

Pele our Bull Terrier was named after Pele, the Hawaiian Goddess of Fire and Volcanoes because of her red colour. Most people think of the famous Brazillian soccer player Pele.

So Pele is an English breed, bred by a Greek, owned by Australians and with a Hawaiian name :rofl: