Bad Wheezing / Snorting Sound

mrs tornsocks

Archie (10 mnth old lab) has woken up this morning making an erratic wheezing-type sound.

It's not constant --- he has a little 'attack' every now and then, it's like something is caught in a passage round his nose or throat. He keeps his mouth closed and kind of snorts uncontrollably a few times with his neck sticking out, standing still.

He did this two or three times in a row when he woke up and then once or twice since (so all up about 6 times in the past 30 mins). He did nothing but come out of his 'bedroom' (the laundry), go out for wees and come back inside. I double checked the laundry, there's nothing he could have got into, I make sure everything is put away.

Tail is wagging, he's otherwise happy. He's had a small eye infection which the vet gave him ointment for.

Any ideas ?

Now he's just lying down fine, and occassionally he breathes like he has mucus but only every so often -- he brought his toy over for plays earlier and jumped up on the bed per her normal good morning routine.

ETA, he's been in the kennels for past 3 days, came home yesterday arvo with no problems presenting until this morning. He's had KC vacc, although I seem to recall that isn't always a guarantee.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

Dusty does it occasionally. One of my previous little dogs used to do it a lot. It's like a reverse sneeze, it's harmless although the dogs seem to be a bit confused/scared by it.

Thank you for describing it so much better than I did -- two words instead of 20.

We are going out for most of the day without him so I was a little concerned.

He's sleeping happily now but he's never done anything like this before so I have no idea what it could be.

Henschke has done that a couple of times, it is a bit disconcerting. A look up the nose (nothing) and a just wait and see. If your dog continues to do it and or it gets worse, I'd take him to the vet. It could be dust up his nose or something. Or he could have picked something up from the kennel. I had a dog with kennel cough once and I will never forget that sound.

It could be from an elongated soft palate (more common in a short muzzled dog) or Laryngeal paralysis (more common in an older dog)

Hugo gets it really bad when he has had kennel cough - in fact he does the 'reverse sneezes' more than cough.. if it's come on suddenly, could that be a possibility?

It could be from an elongated soft palate (more common in a short muzzled dog) or Laryngeal paralysis (more common in an older dog)

Hugo gets it really bad when he has had kennel cough - in fact he does the 'reverse sneezes' more than cough.. if it's come on suddenly, could that be a possibility?

Yes, seems a little unusual for a lab (and he's got a longish nose for his breed).

He's had a few more snorty/mucus noises happening since I posted, with his eyes a little bit weepy seems like he's got a bit of an infection. The reverse sneezes are totally out of the blue though. We just went for a little walk to the shops and he was happy, but at one point just stopped dead and did the sneezes; it seems to take his whole body over --- his back legs drop down slightly and you can see it down through his ribs and tummy.

Again, back to slothing and sleeping now -- gobbled up all his brekky and he's drinking his honey water.

He is very lethargic, but then he is always lethargic after a couple of days at the kennels or with other doggies; he's such a bouncy boy.

Edited by mrs tornsocks

he may have picked up a bit of a cold at the kennels too

when my maltese did my vet described it as when you go to a conference with a pack of people you often end up with a cold

this was a long time ago but from memory she got some medication and recovered very quickly

keep an eye on him, keep him quiet and if he still is unwell i'd take him to the vets.

Poor boy :)

The honey/water should only be doled out like cough mixture.. which it is :rofl: I just put enough hot water in to enable free flowing honey...then just dribble a little in his mouth

if his eyes are weepy, and it is as severe as you mentioned, please rest him, and contact the vet tomorrow ...or .obviously if it continues/worsens, maybe even later today .

Maybe ring th ekennel and ask if they had noticed other dogs doing similar things?

Our old dog has done her snorting forever, and there is never any other symptom....

It does sound like kennel cough. The honey and water or original benadryl twice a day will help. See the vet if he starts to have a thick yellow discharge from his nose, otherwise 10 days from now he should be right as rain.

It could be canine cough or it could be reverse sneezing. If it's reverse sneezing cover his nostrils so he has to breathe through his mouth and that should stop it, it's not serious, I think all my dogs have done it occasionally. If it's canine cough he should get over it in a few days to a week without veterinary intervention. Benadryl can help to ease the cough. If he gets really lethargic, goes off his food or has a nasal discharge he has probably developed a secondary infection and antibiotics will be necessary.

Edited by Miranda

It could be canine cough or it could be reverse sneezing. If it's reverse sneezing cover his nostrils so he has to breathe through his mouth and that should stop it, it's not serious, I think all my dogs have done it occasionally.

Yep, Moosey does reverse sneezes occasionally, usually just before bed time. I do what Miranda suggests and cover his nostrils (I think it's supposed to "reset" their breathing, if that makes sense). He hates it but about 80% of the time it works. :)

Edited by moosepup

Daina has quite bad attacks of reverse sneezing during heavy exercise, if she eats too quickly, or if we are walking on a grass oval. I find what helps her is just to gently stroke her throat downwards and then block her nose so she breathes out her mouth. Strangely if we give her an antihistamine before a walk, she hardly ever has an attack and if she does it's only a for few seconds instead of a few minutes.

One of ours does it regularly...she comes over to us, and I cup my hand gently over her nose, so she's breathing in warm. recycled air :thumbsup: it seems to make her calmer....

i do this with my boston who often reverse sneezes. i think it makes them camer and because they stop gulping the air in it stops the cycle