Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

He's a boy remember!!!! Not happening in 5 days!!!!

Help - I would like some

I have 5 days to teach it :laugh:

What do you want? An instant splat?? :)

YEP - is that asking for too much???

Yep I like Brookies DOR too - he comes in fast and then stops and does a fold back drop. Hmm maybe I need to watch what she is going to do with Zac and copy.

Off to email Deb to suggest she teaches Zac a DOR in the next 5 days.......

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep I like Brookies DOR too - he comes in fast and then stops and does a fold back drop. Hmm maybe I need to watch what she is going to do with Zac and copy.

Mine just go splat! They don't fold back into it. It is just straight down. Pretty funny to watch. DOR/change of position is our party trick :laugh: i just teach it playing in the garden.

Buy a Border Collie
:) JulesP

Hmmm - recipe for instant ROH - go training with friend - play with her high jump, just to see what Rory will do - he's never seen a solid jump before. Send Kirra over jump - Rory follows - send him over and call back. Have a rush of blood to the head - decide to throw DBover jump and see what he does - reward when he comes back over jump with DB and presents. Have another rush of blood to the head, and try a formal ROH - big time reward success - job done :o - love my boy - wish he could do stays with other dogs.

(Should mention we haven't tried ROH with a real ob jump - this one was brown, and about 1m wide, so I'm hoping it will translate to the real thing.)

Buy a Border Collie
:) JulesP

Hmmm - recipe for instant ROH - go training with friend - play with her high jump, just to see what Rory will do - he's never seen a solid jump before. Send Kirra over jump - Rory follows - send him over and call back. Have a rush of blood to the head - decide to throw DBover jump and see what he does - reward when he comes back over jump with DB and presents. Have another rush of blood to the head, and try a formal ROH - big time reward success - job done :o - love my boy - wish he could do stays with other dogs.

(Should mention we haven't tried ROH with a real ob jump - this one was brown, and about 1m wide, so I'm hoping it will translate to the real thing.)

Tassie - I like your style - expect toller girl in the post tomorrow -where you will have 2 days to perfect things :(

:o Ptolomy - pity the mail to Tassie is a bit slow - or I'd send you a BC boy to fix boy-brain non-stays - but I need him back flooffed for show in 3 days :) . It was such a hoot - I was only playing, and quite prepared to abandon if it went belly up at any point - but he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

:( Ptolomy - pity the mail to Tassie is a bit slow - or I'd send you a BC boy to fix boy-brain non-stays - but I need him back flooffed for show in 3 days :o . It was such a hoot - I was only playing, and quite prepared to abandon if it went belly up at any point - but he thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

and I think thats where a lot of us go very wrong - we start to put pressure on and it all goes belly up. Keep it light hearted and fun, everybody enjoys it and you move forward.

Good luck on the weekend and let us know when you have any more sessions that prove what a trainer you are :)

I'll fix your drop on recall if you fix my judges scent :)
Anybody happy to post some DOR videos???? NO pressure - but I now only have 4 days LOL

I fixed it once and you broken it again - you have to be more careful :o

Thats for the helpful tip Rubystar :rofl:

Well we now have a splat down (thanks Caffy it was easy :) ) but in the process have broken the dumbbell - all due to her obsession with the little i-squeak ;) .

So tonight we are playing repair the dumbbell.

Hmm I don't want to preempt but I would like to place money on a broken COP by Friday!

Thats for the helpful tip Rubystar :rofl:

Well we now have a splat down (thanks Caffy it was easy :) ) but in the process have broken the dumbbell - all due to her obsession with the little i-squeak :rofl: .

So tonight we are playing repair the dumbbell.

Hmm I don't want to preempt but I would like to place money on a broken COP by Friday!

Well the tip was for bedazzled's broken scent, but you are welcome to it too :rofl:

So if caffy can fix a DOR in one evening ---- caffy, can I please hire you sometime? :rofl: ;)

I was dusting off some UD exercises with Kenz tonight and it occured to me this might be worth posting. How often do people do an exercise as it would be done in a trial versus what you might do in training.

For example, do you always heel forward and halt prior to a recall or dumbbell retrieve for example or the ones I was doing tonight were gloves (so do you just have gloves out and line a dog up or do you always do the about turn and send) and same with articles - do you just have the dog find the article or always have the dog complete the about turn prior to being sent. I tend not to include finishes in my training at the end of exercises because of anticipation issues.

Just got me thinking as I know with Ness when I have fully trained a UD exercise I always did it as it would appear in the ring but not sure this is necessarily the right approach so thought I would see what others do.

Kenz is a little way off being trial ready for UD obviously having only one Novice pass to date. Kenz can do the exercises complete with the fiddly bits but wonder what the point is if your trying to isolate the principle feature of the particular exercises.

Edited by ness

I was dusting off some UD exercises with Kenz tonight and it occured to me this might be worth posting. How often do people do an exercise as it would be done in a trial versus what you might do in training.

For example, do you always heel forward and halt prior to a recall or dumbbell retrieve for example or the ones I was doing tonight were gloves (so do you just have gloves out and line a dog up or do you always do the about turn and send) and same with articles - do you just have the dog find the article or always have the dog complete the about turn prior to being sent. I tend not to include finishes in my training at the end of exercises because of anticipation issues.

Just got me thinking as I know with Ness when I have fully trained a UD exercise I always did it as it would appear in the ring but not sure this is necessarily the right approach so thought I would see what others do.

Kenz is a little way off being trial ready for UD obviously having only one Novice pass to date. Kenz can do the exercises complete with the fiddly bits but wonder what the point is if your trying to isolate the principle feature of the particular exercises.

I always do the turns for articles and gloves but then reward anything after that and very very rarely add a finish to the end. When I was in the lower classes I pretty much never did the heel forward bit before an exercise. I have started adding a heel forward and stand before the send away to the box as Ella tends to be quite sloopy with this and I think it looks bad even though it's not judged.

I try to mix things up as much as possible so I don't get anticipation from little miss smarty pants! lol :)

Depends on what I'm working on at the time. Very often I isolate one particular part of an exercise and click and reward that. For example if I'm working on the pickup of the dumbbell then I'm not bothered about the set up...I'll click the mouth on the bell and if he comes back without it I don't care...if he does (most of the time nowadays) then I reward but I don't ask for a front or finish.