Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Ptolomy is the best thrower I have ever seen....superwoman!!!! :rofl: I'm a chucker....all I care about is getting it over the jump and not landing on the judges head!!! I've had to train my dogs to go out and get it from wherever the damn thing lands, return back over the jump and present straight!!! Poor dogs :laugh:

Between Ptolomy and me you've got no chance!!! :p Get it right girl!!! :D

Here you go... the judge is in the way for the DOR but you can sort of see my signals.

The retrieves are fairly clear

You can see my crappy throws!!! :laugh:

and I've chucked in the change of position just for fun!

Your signals are lovely and neat! :thumbsup:

You're an "over arm" dumbell thrower, I don't see many of those! I'm a real crap throw myself, but got a dumbell throwing tip on Monday night from a fellow Lab owner and it really did improve my throws! I'm still more than capable of throwing some awful ones, but managed to throw quite a few straight ones in a row :D It's all in the flick of the wrist :D I'm an "under arm" thrower for the dumbell. I might have to get a few practice sessions in before this weekend :laugh:

P.S. If you're not in the ring when I am this weekend, hopefully you can check out my newly amended signals in DOR and distance control and see if they're any better than the last trial :o And if not, give me a stern picking on :D

Edited by bedazzledx2

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a trial on Saturday... But this time I'm trialling TWO dogs on the one day! :rofl: Am I insane?! We'll find out! :laugh: Abby is in CCD and Jedi is in Novice. I really hope he gets through this weekend... We will have to break our curse to get there - something always goes wrong on those grounds! :thumbsup:

I'll see you there, we can freak out together :D I'm #1 in CCD.

Yay! Good luck to you! Jedi is #2 in Novice and Abby is #15 (I think) in CCD. So hopefully I'll get to watch you guys in CCD! :laugh:

Na, don't do that :laugh:

TN, she has made terrific progress on actually performing the drop but it's still more of a flop-to-the-side than a nice polite neat drop. I am going to try the fold back / sphinx down more when I have a bit of time to sit very patiently with her :thumbsup:

Pretty stoked at the moment, taught Luuka 'touch' last night, god she is smart she picked it up really quickly. Now trying to get her to 'butt' my hand a bit harder as at the moment she is being too gentle :D

Ptolomy is the best thrower I have ever seen....superwoman!!!! :thumbsup:

Pssst don't tell anybody but I was an athlete in a past life (when I was younger, skinnier and less grey). Mum is still an athletics coach - who has had a couple of athletes make an Olympic team :D

Ptolomy is the best thrower I have ever seen....superwoman!!!! :rofl: I'm a chucker....all I care about is getting it over the jump and not landing on the judges head!!! I've had to train my dogs to go out and get it from wherever the damn thing lands, return back over the jump and present straight!!! Poor dogs :laugh:

Between Ptolomy and me you've got no chance!!! :drink: Get it right girl!!! :D

Here you go... the judge is in the way for the DOR but you can sort of see my signals.

Your signals are lovely and neat! :thumbsup:

You're an "over arm" dumbell thrower, I don't see many of those! I'm a real crap throw myself, but got a dumbell throwing tip on Monday night from a fellow Lab owner and it really did improve my throws! I'm still more than capable of throwing some awful ones, but managed to throw quite a few straight ones in a row :D It's all in the flick of the wrist :D I'm an "under arm" thrower for the dumbell. I might have to get a few practice sessions in before this weekend :laugh:

P.S. If you're not in the ring when I am this weekend, hopefully you can check out my newly amended signals in DOR and distance control and see if they're any better than the last trial :D And if not, give me a stern picking on :p

I am the most special thrower! I have actually managed to hit myself on the head whilst throwing the dumbell! :o Now that was embarrassing!

I just wanted to say thank you for the help and suggestions.

The tape does seem to be helping so far...the spoon idea is another matter. Mind you I think she's too busy gazing at me in disbelief. The OH has a habit of leaving dishes everywhere so Miss Pants was taught early on not to touch. I'm sure she thinks I've lost my mind, not that it's the first time mind you. :thumbsup:

Sas, is this the last pass you need for your title??? Woohoo - good luck :thumbsup::)

Yep, freaking out more than the 1st time!

I need to stop because the 1st time I stuffed Dante up so much by freaking out!

I really need this pass now as he's about to go onto medication for the next 6 weeks that could make him woozy...but oh well, as they say....there's always another trial.

There are lots of places to lose points in these exercises. Are you sure its only your signals Jess? A run on for the DOR, shifting in the sit wait, crooked front and finish can lose lots :cry: A fumbled pick up and or fronts and finishes are other places to lose points. Try to be as neat as you can but still be clear to your dog and if possible ask someone to video you...it can be the greatest teacher!!!!

I can't watch those at work but will take a look tonight - thank you! :hug:

Not sure at all on whether it is my signals. She's scoring perfectly for COP which I would've thought would show those kind of issues as well. I've had people come up and make a point of complimenting her DOR yet we're losing 2 to 4 points on it. She's coming in quick and taking action immediately on the signal, dropping as fast as she physically can at that speed.

She doesn't fidget or move on leaving her at all - she's always been rock solid on that stuff. Her finishes are straight, it's just the front with a dumbell which are iffy but not all the time.

I'd love to get a video, given the next trial is at my "home" club I might find someone who can record it for me.

There are lots of places to lose points in these exercises. Are you sure its only your signals Jess? A run on for the DOR, shifting in the sit wait, crooked front and finish can lose lots :cry: A fumbled pick up and or fronts and finishes are other places to lose points. Try to be as neat as you can but still be clear to your dog and if possible ask someone to video you...it can be the greatest teacher!!!!

I can't watch those at work but will take a look tonight - thank you! :hug:

Not sure at all on whether it is my signals. She's scoring perfectly for COP which I would've thought would show those kind of issues as well. I've had people come up and make a point of complimenting her DOR yet we're losing 2 to 4 points on it. She's coming in quick and taking action immediately on the signal, dropping as fast as she physically can at that speed.

She doesn't fidget or move on leaving her at all - she's always been rock solid on that stuff. Her finishes are straight, it's just the front with a dumbell which are iffy but not all the time.

I'd love to get a video, given the next trial is at my "home" club I might find someone who can record it for me.

Silly question but can you ask a Judge at the end of the day?

Can somebody tell me where Pine Rivers is in relation to Brisbane please.

I guess what I want to know is could I drive there and would I be able to find it??

Will you be staying at the same place you were last time Ptolomy?

Sas, is this the last pass you need for your title??? Woohoo - good luck :o:(

Yep, freaking out more than the 1st time!

I need to stop because the 1st time I stuffed Dante up so much by freaking out!

I really need this pass now as he's about to go onto medication for the next 6 weeks that could make him woozy...but oh well, as they say....there's always another trial.

I'm sure you guys will do really well :hug::cry:

Isn't it amazing the effects our behaviour can have on our dogs?

isn't it amazing the effects our behaviour can have on our dogs?

Yep! Dante is super sensitive to what I'm feeling and if I'm freaked out he behaves like a dog whose never been to obedience :hug:

So for his sake and mine, I must keep my s*&^ together!

Edited by sas

Lovely work :eek:

Looking at that yes I am double signalling stuff. ;)

DOR I walk normally to the end, stand with hands at my sides and then use one hand for the drop and then both hands for the recall and return them to my "front" position (i.e. both hands in front clasped together).

Retrieve I have my left hand in "heel" position (same as what you have with your right hand) but my left is at normal walking position at my side. I indicate to retrieve with my right hand and then return both hands to a front position as she leaves. Take the dumbell with both hands and then indicate heel with my left hand returning to its "heel" position.

Sas I really don't know if asking the judge is the done thing at Open level. :confused: Maybe one of the more experienced guys can comment :) I've noticed that in CCD judges were really keen to give feedback and even in early Novice while it was really clear I was lacking ring work :) they were keen to give advice but now I'm in Open I've had no feedback at all. Given they are keen to get through all their competitors I've been reluctant to ask at the end of our run. I've thought about asking at the end but wondered if they would remember after they've been through 15 or so dogs (depending on the size of the class).

I love reading this thread but it's a bit intimidating as a newbie when everyone posts such excellent videos :laugh::eek:

So I thought I'd be brave and post one from a beginner!!! Our club assessment is coming up so I just wanted to get a video that included most of the exercises they expect. I've already picked up a few things wrong with my handling that I didn't realise I was doing until I watched my footage (eg. stepping into her, funny hand positioning on the recall) so please be kind ;)

My little girl is 9.5 months old, she is so willing to learn and is teaching me a lot.

We usually train on the oval where I have a lot more room to reward differently and be a lot more exciting, I don't usually just walk in circles in my pergola :confused:

Can somebody tell me where Pine Rivers is in relation to Brisbane please.

I guess what I want to know is could I drive there and would I be able to find it??

North side of Brisbane, probably about 30-45 minutes drive from Durack (where the DogsQld grounds are). Fairly easy to find as it's right on a major road. When are you looking at going there?

My two have a distraction training brag from this arvo...

Zee has reached a stage with her Crate Games that I can put her on her mat and she'll stay there while I'm training Darcy, even for agility stuff. Great not having to take a crate or a tie-up peg when I'm training. :eek:

Darcy was practising her sit stay tonight with Zee on her mat. Darcy's reward (small plastic container with some raw steak) was sitting probably 10 m away and Zee's toys and more food was sitting on the mat with her in a green shopping bag.

We got some great distraction training when we all got ambushed by a SWF - I know this dog is harmless, it's just a sticky beak with no recall. Both girls stuck their positions beautifully while this dog checked out Darcy's reward and then ransacked Zee's toy bag right in front of her nose. :confused:

I don't believe I've seen a dog in a sit stay lean quite that much without falling over or moving her feet though :laugh:

Changing hand positions will get pinged every time! ;) If your hands are in front when you start the exercise then you must return both hands to front for the entire exercise. Most judges will give you feedback if you ask at the end of your round but not every judge will remember specifics at the end of the trial unless it was particularly noteworthy! Video will tell you lots, sometimes we give unintentional signals we are not even aware of until we see it on the big screen!

Lovely work :eek:

Looking at that yes I am double signalling stuff. :)

DOR I walk normally to the end, stand with hands at my sides and then use one hand for the drop and then both hands for the recall and return them to my "front" position (i.e. both hands in front clasped together).

Retrieve I have my left hand in "heel" position (same as what you have with your right hand) but my left is at normal walking position at my side. I indicate to retrieve with my right hand and then return both hands to a front position as she leaves. Take the dumbell with both hands and then indicate heel with my left hand returning to its "heel" position.

Sas I really don't know if asking the judge is the done thing at Open level. :confused: Maybe one of the more experienced guys can comment :) I've noticed that in CCD judges were really keen to give feedback and even in early Novice while it was really clear I was lacking ring work :) they were keen to give advice but now I'm in Open I've had no feedback at all. Given they are keen to get through all their competitors I've been reluctant to ask at the end of our run. I've thought about asking at the end but wondered if they would remember after they've been through 15 or so dogs (depending on the size of the class).

Changing hand positions will get pinged every time! :eek: If your hands are in front when you start the exercise then you must return both hands to front for the entire exercise. Most judges will give you feedback if you ask at the end of your round but not every judge will remember specifics at the end of the trial unless it was particularly noteworthy! Video will tell you lots, sometimes we give unintentional signals we are not even aware of until we see it on the big screen!

Thanks for the info. :laugh: At least I know now. :confused:

Wonder if I can work on losing them in 48 hours. I doubt Darcy needs them but it's probably a little too ingrained on my part.

My two have a distraction training brag from this arvo...

Zee has reached a stage with her Crate Games that I can put her on her mat and she'll stay there while I'm training Darcy, even for agility stuff. Great not having to take a crate or a tie-up peg when I'm training. :eek:

Darcy was practising her sit stay tonight with Zee on her mat. Darcy's reward (small plastic container with some raw steak) was sitting probably 10 m away and Zee's toys and more food was sitting on the mat with her in a green shopping bag.

We got some great distraction training when we all got ambushed by a SWF - I know this dog is harmless, it's just a sticky beak with no recall. Both girls stuck their positions beautifully while this dog checked out Darcy's reward and then ransacked Zee's toy bag right in front of her nose. :confused:

I don't believe I've seen a dog in a sit stay lean quite that much without falling over or moving her feet though ;)

:laugh:

Would love to train that, I hate lugging my crate around at training :) .