Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

Nik I would be careful giving her the opportunity to lay down while your out of sight - even informally. I was told to never put the dog in a stay unless your willing to enforce it. I.e. dog lays down you fix it. Unless of course by informal you mean tied up and just told that you will be back soon without a command attached. I have done that with stays to get the dog use to me leaving and returning without insisting on any position.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nik I would be careful giving her the opportunity to lay down while your out of sight - even informally. I was told to never put the dog in a stay unless your willing to enforce it. I.e. dog lays down you fix it. Unless of course by informal you mean tied up and just told that you will be back soon without a command attached. I have done that with stays to get the dog use to me leaving and returning without insisting on any position.

Yup, she's just tied up. I'm trying to let her see that me going out of sight is not a bad thing. I'll tell her to sit while I tie her up, then tell her "back soon" and 90% of the time she's still sitting when I return. Then I give her a treat of some sort. Given we only got our CD title this month, I'm not pushing her, but she thrives on learning new things!

I possibly wouldn't even add in the "sit" command before. Just tie her up and tell her back soon. Thats what I always do with mine if I am going to leave them and that way if they do move around or change position thats fine.

We practiced return to heel after a recall this morning, poor Orlando :( was not sure what was going at 1st, but after doing it a couple of times he slowly picked up what to do :D

the method I used is with the lead around my back & step backwards with right foot, to guide him around, telling him "heel" at the same time using my right hand to signal heel :D

I am happy he is it picking it up

Are you training this with the recall or separately? I have always been told to train it as a separate exercise so that the dog doesn't anticipate it every time you do a recall, as you still need them to sit in front before being told to finish.

I'm sure you're doing this :)

I'm working on out of sight stays at the moment. Using going in for a takeaway coffee as the time limit :D. She's staying in position 90% of the time, which I'm happy with as we're doing it informally at the moment. She will always stay where she's told, but 10% of the time I find she drops on a sit stay.

Hi Nik yes I am training separate to actual Recall at the moment, I will bring the recall in when I know Orlando has got the finish down pat. :D

We do the occasional out of sight at home, Orlando is getting good at it even though this exercise is not done till Open class :D

my hiccup will be retrieve dumbbell (flat & over jump ) :laugh: I suppose I shouldnt be to concerned about that till after we get CD title.

You can do retrieve DB on the flat as an optional exercise in Novice - I reckon it's worth teaching it early on - doesn't interfere with anything else, and then you're ready for Open :rofl: .

On the finish - it's worth teaching both around the back, and the flip (finish left) - to get ready for Rally :laugh:

You can do retrieve DB on the flat as an optional exercise in Novice - I reckon it's worth teaching it early on - doesn't interfere with anything else, and then you're ready for Open :rofl: .

On the finish - it's worth teaching both around the back, and the flip (finish left) - to get ready for Rally :laugh:

Thanks Tassie for the tips :D we have opted to do Change of Position while in Novice,

we cannot get Orlando to fetch the dumbbell yet, at this stage we have got him to hold it for about 2sec's :laugh: the time is slowly increasing

On the subject of finish how do you teach the dog to "Flip"

I have a question :D

How close does a dog have to be in a front (talking small dog here) when I get her to sit very close she looks up at me and her whole body follows, so she's in a begging position instead :laugh: When she is in a sit close in front it looks very uncomfortable for her like there is no where to put her (rather long) head :laugh:

Also is there some way to teach straighter sits? Because her legs are so long for her body length she sits with her front legs on an angle but I'm not sure she'll be able to sit any straighter comfortably

Im finding when I take the lead off and do some heal work Rams drops back behind me a bit. He also goes a bit wide in the right turns like he knows he is off lead and its relaxed. How do I teach him that off lead still means work! :laugh:

If I talk to him lots and remind him where he is meant to be we do ok but I know that as soon as I stop talking to him as much he loses it!

I have a question :D

How close does a dog have to be in a front (talking small dog here) when I get her to sit very close she looks up at me and her whole body follows, so she's in a begging position instead :laugh: When she is in a sit close in front it looks very uncomfortable for her like there is no where to put her (rather long) head :laugh:

Also is there some way to teach straighter sits? Because her legs are so long for her body length she sits with her front legs on an angle but I'm not sure she'll be able to sit any straighter comfortably

They don't have to be very close. Just close enough to take a dumbell from their mouth without stretching out (I'd use that as a distance gauge for her fronts even without a dumbell). As for straight, maybe get her to come into front between two barriers? Or if she constantly leans to one side, maybe just against a wall.

No, sorry, leaning down for small dogs is not allowed. She either needs to toss it up to you into your hands (she has to train you to be able to catch), or get a bigger dog :p

PS - leaning forward is ok, you just have to be able to reach your dog to get the dumbell. Just wouldn't look good if you reeeeaaaaaaaally have to lean forward!

Edited by RubyStar

If I talk to him lots and remind him where he is meant to be we do ok but I know that as soon as I stop talking to him as much he loses it!

i have trouble with this too, and will be curious to see what people suggest. when i am talking to her and encouraging her, she will stay perky and focused, but if i am not doing that, she starts to sniff and move away...

i have trouble with this too, and will be curious to see what people suggest. when i am talking to her and encouraging her, she will stay perky and focused, but if i am not doing that, she starts to sniff and move away...

Lots of rewarding in position, so they understand where heel position is. Even if you have to go back to basics and click and treat every couple of steps, I think it would be worth it. I'm sure the more experienced will have more ideas for you both :)

I have a silly question has anybody done Obedience trials at the Melb Royal, if so, if you win your class, do the presentations (dogs) at the end of that day

Do you have to go back the next day when the bitches are on, with your dog for more presentations???

I ask this cause I have been told yes I have to & then by someone else no I dont :confused:

Im finding when I take the lead off and do some heal work Rams drops back behind me a bit. He also goes a bit wide in the right turns like he knows he is off lead and its relaxed. How do I teach him that off lead still means work! :laugh:

Too me it sounds like he doesn't understand that heel off lead is the same as heel on lead. As suggested go back to basics and start slowly like you are training the heel again (which you are) it's a different exercise to the dog so needs to be treated as such. The good news is he will pick it up quickly :)

I had the opposite problem, I trained everything off lead so when we attempted doing a CCD trial I didn't know what to do!! My signals were a mess and I couldn't figure out what to do with the damn lead! :laugh:

oh my god my Whippet is tooooooo much of a :smartiepants: , was with the co owner today, she asked me to do a little CD work with him, that was fine he did well, then we did a recall (mind you I had no intentions of doing the finishof recall yet) the little buggar came in, sat for a second then decided to do the finish without giving me a chance to do any other command ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

I have been given a tip of how fix his antisipation of doing the finish of reca ll, we tried it twice now :happydance2: it has worked already for now, but I will not do any more Recalls with him till after The Melb Royal

Why oh Why are the nerves/butterfies going crazy :confused: , we have Obedience trial at the Melb Royal on Friday & I am aready getting the gitters. :scared:

I know I dont need a pass for CCD cause we just got the title :winner: so why am I so nreves about this trial where as the others I havent been. :confused: