Tuna / Salmon / Sardines: Oil Or Springwater

Skruffy n Flea

the liver doesn't squick me as much as hearts do - I always feel like I'm in a highschool science class doing a really bad job of disection :laugh:

:rock:

Hearts go whole here! We use chicken heart as it small, no chopping up :p It's not so much the liver, but the smell of it when I wash out the blender that turns my tummy. As soon as the hot water hits it, it stinks!

I use sardines, because of the bone content....I prefer springwater with no salt or i would use olive oil as a second. My number one choice is raw sardines, which i can get on a trip to Melbourne at Vic Markets.

The tuna and salmon have the omega's and some salmon has also got the bones (which I like)

One of mine is banned from all things fish related, as he likes to roll in his mackeral, prior to eating it ... and he stinks

:thumbsup::laugh::)

I feed the springwater variety because the oil is usually canola or soy. I just add some fish oil to it. If it is olive oil then I'll use that. The mackeral usually has mackeral oil (or so the tin says).

I used to buy raw sardines from the fish shop for Jessie, but haven't for Pele. Our regular fishermen at the beach (we go every day) used to feed Jessie live fish - eeeuuuuwwww :grouphug: She was a favourite with them because she was a good girl and didn't try to steal their bait. They thought it was hilarious - she'd sit and they'd drop a live fish head first down her mouth :(

I normally feed my girls sardines once a week and I use the ones in oil and i just drain off the excess oil..

Now today hubby brought home 8 boxes if tuna (16 cans in each box, John West) he though I gave the girls tuna, now this is smoked tuna is that ok to give to them??

I normally feed my girls sardines once a week and I use the ones in oil and i just drain off the excess oil..

Now today hubby brought home 8 boxes if tuna (16 cans in each box, John West) he though I gave the girls tuna, now this is smoked tuna is that ok to give to them??

I could be wrong and you will have to read the label, but most smoked tinned stuff has a lot of sodium content/salt. So i would not use it

Enjoy your tuna for lunch :(

Edited by newfsie

I found that having to open a can of sardines was too stinky and too much trouble and I kept putting it off. For the last few years I've fed my dogs fish oil capsules which they eat like lollies (we call them fish lollies :laugh:). I stand there with the container and they all gather around and wait. I chuck them two each about five times per week. I get the big barrels from the health food shop - low mercury ones like Blackmores.

Aldi brand tuna in springwater

My cat eats that every day

Esky went nuts over it. So now she gets tuna every couple of nights

Aldi also has pink and red salmon in a can. That stuff is weird though. The spine of the fish comes in the can.

I know esky likes her bones, but I'm not sure i trust her eating tiny fish bones.

No salmon til she's older

dolers are the shiznit :confused:

right then!!! 86 the rice = done!!!

so i'm not necessarily doing anything wrong giving them canned fish in springwater ... excellent :o

canned sardines *vomit* in olive oil OR add fish oil caps to that which is in springwater ... how much/how many!?!?

*note to self* teach fluffies new 'eat the fish oil cap' trick

i can regularly feed my fluffies canned fish, whether it be in 'the good oil' or supplemented springwater...

*note to self* drain off excess oil

tuna can have a high mercury content, so less frequency is better...

salmon [red/pink]: tassie or atlantic [avoid northern seas' raw salmon] ... is it safe for dogs to eat the spine!??!

add mackeral to the menu ... fillets in brine...

pink/red salmon and tuna in springwater ... sardines in olive oil or springwater

no name brands are okay to use too!!! *win*

*note to self* avoid oscar'ing liver

dolers, you are a wealth of information and without you, i'd be in dire straits i'm sure :o

• 3 weeks later...

I buy the no name 125g packets of sardines in oil. I share the tin between the two of them (with a little bit going into the freezer for another day) with their kibble. It is their all time favourite meal and Leah nearly had a heart attack with all the excitement when I was putting it out in their bowls last night. :dancingelephant:

Edited by LuvMyCav

Mine all have one sardine each with their breakfast everyday, I get the homebrand one in tomatoe sauce, not oil as they already have flaxseed oil added to their diet. They all love having them.

Bones in fish are pure calcium - they break down if you squash them - no issue for dogs to eat at all, leave them in for the extra calcium.

We get the salmon head and spines from delivery guy (partner is a chef) - the dogs love them - though one of them is scared of the head and won't eat it unless I remove the eyes :laugh: - big tough dobermann.

I do feed canned fish as well but am finding it increasingly hard to find any that doesn't come from Thialand. After all the food scares that have come from there and seeing a couple of programs about their food industry :laugh: I refuse to eat it myself and so also won't give it to my dogs. We will be pushed to fresh only at this rate.

We get the salmon head and spines from delivery guy (partner is a chef) - the dogs love them - though one of them is scared of the head and won't eat it unless I remove the eyes :cheer: - big tough dobermann.

:hug: