Bring On Thursday Lunchtime!

Ashanali

For those who aren't on my facebook, there is something HUGE happening here.

At the start of the year I sent off entries to the WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International) awards in Las Vegas. These awards are sort of like the academy awards for professional wedding and portrait photographers. I had never entered before but a photographer friend in Melbourne had been pushing me to enter one particular album... so I decided that if I'm going to enter, I might as well throw in two.

Well, the album that I was pushed to enter scored around 80 (a silver) and I was thrilled with that. But then a contact in America sent me a message via facebook that simply said, "I think I had the results from your second album, you need to call me."

Now people don't want you to call if you've done badly or even just something average. I jumped out of bed and ran straight to the phone to call.

Sally (my friend) had watched the entire category for judging and missed one album being judged when she went to the ladies... and it happened to be my album. :laugh: HOWEVER, when she returned, the person sitting next to her said, "You just missed the most amazing album, it was all these school kids and there was a dunce and a tecaher's pet and a class clown and it was so well done." Sally said, "Oh! That sounds like my friend's album. What did is score?" Other person replied, "94 points".

That is 94 points out of 100. That is a gold award.

Not only that, it was THE. HIGHEST. SCORE. for the category.

I had people telling me I had to jump on a plane to get over there for the awards, I even had another photographer offer to pay my trip telling me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I've had messages from people who I consider 'gods' of photography congratulating me on the images. I have had messages coming thick and fast from people in the US telling me that the judging has been extra tough this year and most people haven't seen anything score over 91 so if I got 94 it's INCREDIBLE. :)

However, even though it scored so high, I still don't know if I have won. This is what I'm nervously waiting for. The judges take the three entries with the highest scores and they rejudge them from zero. So I don't find out if I've won until the awards are actually handed out (lunchtime tomorrow, Brisbane time). My friend is going to the awards so I'm going to ask her to take video for me. If I win, I want to hear them call my name :mad

ROLL ON LUNCHTIME TOMORROW :thumbsup:

I'm keeping everything crossed here. I'm so nervous and also very excited.

Some of the photos that are included in the album can be seen here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/savvystudios/...57621936962967/

The album layout isn't online. I want to wait until after the awards before I post that. I have a terrible fear of jinxing myself. :(

So if dolers can send some winning vibes for me to Las Vegas, that would be sweet :) :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so well deserved, those images are stinking cool. There is not many pictures I look at and think "I wish I took that or came up with that idea"... I did when I saw those. You are a brilliant photographer, well on your way to international success. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I bet hubby is a little bit jealous..... :laugh::mad

I bet hubby is a little bit jealous..... :thumbsup::laugh:

I actually said to Alex yesterday, "Thank you for being so supportive and letting me have this little moment". He answered with, "Aw baby, I'm so proud of you and I want everyone to know how awesome you are... but honestly, if I entered and didn't do well, I'd likely be a little p!$$ed off by now." :mad ahhh, brutal honesty.

amazing and fantastic and and and................. far out, I am excited for you! I remember the school kids photos, have you got in touch with the kids who posed for them, I bet they'd be excited too. Congratulations!! :thumbsup: