Melbourne People

Pointees

I'm wondering what fellow Melbourne dolers like to do with their dogs? A relaxing time for owners and dogs basically.

For example, I take my dogs to Kepala almost monthly with the Dol meets. We also go to cafes (I tend to take one at a time). We also go to the beach when its nice weather.

I used to take one of my girls to the CBD by train also. :thumbsup:

What interesting things do you all do?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on a mission to do nice relaxing things with the dogs. I have been doing heaps of obedience/agility training for about 4 years and now I want to do pet stuff!

Last weekend I went to Warrandyte and went for a walk along the river. It was great. Also went to Lilydale Lake.

Have a herding clinic coming up in a couple of weeks, they are always fun.

I am on a mission to do nice relaxing things with the dogs. I have been doing heaps of obedience/agility training for about 4 years and now I want to do pet stuff!

Last weekend I went to Warrandyte and went for a walk along the river. It was great. Also went to Lilydale Lake.

Have a herding clinic coming up in a couple of weeks, they are always fun.

Hey Jules - where are you doing the herding? We'd like to get into it ourselves, but haven't done it before.

I like to go to offlead places with my dogs so they can burn off some energy. Current favourite is the river at Wonga Park. It is an offlead area and has a great swimming spot for the doggies!

Only been to Kepala once, but I loved it.

When we're over in Melbourne, I like to take the dogs swimming - no doggy pools down here in the apple isle. Lately we've been swimming at Woofpurnay - it's close to where we stay.

Shyla and I can only meet up with other for onleash stuff so we don't risk injuring her leg further, so yeah :rofl: at the moment we just chill at home and go for short walks and do bits of training and go outside in the backyard regularly with non strenuous fun :D we also go visit my family once a week and visit the neighbors next door and chill in their backyard. we were going to kepala but I work sundays now :rofl:

The Brighton dog beach sounds good! I would love to take my guys there, but I'm in Sunbury... So its a bit of a drive. :D

Wish we could see You and your gorgeous GSD at Kepala again! :eek: She is just stunning!

Hey Jules, if your looking for something relaxing. Come to Kepala. :laugh:

I'm trying to find more things to do with my guys. I have one starting Obedience on Saturday. :laugh:

When Fraser was around 18 months I was able to take him on some longer walks (around 5-7km per day)

Even though we never went to any outrageous or out there places, we had some memorable walks - to touch on a few:

Football training was on during winter at the local football ground, there is a raised path around the football ovals and as we were about to walk off the path and back down to suburbia Fraser noticed his shadow on the fence that was from a house below the path - the lights from the football training were shining on us and reflected our shadows on the fence. Will always remember that one...

Another memorable walk was at 4.00 am on a cold winter morning when I woke up early before getting ready for work. Took Fraser for a walk and even though it was freezing it was just me and him and completely quiet.

So even though taking our dogs to different and exciting places - sometimes the simple things and taking your mate for a walk at a completely different time to normal can bring out wonderful moments.

They sound like lovely walks sticks. :)

Having my 3 idiots we don't get time to take in the scenery until they are a bit more.. tired. :cry:

I have taken them to Hanging Rock, which was lovely. By the time we were up the top of HR, they were, not so energetic, so the OH and I could could actually sit down, and look around. See the beautiful view from the top. :rofl:

It was a beautiful walk.

Think we might have to do another Hanging Rock walk soon.

I love going to Kepala for the dog meets, going to Brighton dog beach, having a walk around Lilydale Lake, and even more local to me is Liverpool Road Retarding Basin.

I also used to take Hugo to Pugwood meet ups in Elwood on a Sunday morning, until we started obedience at the same time.

Edited by Bindii

We like to visit the Warrandyte Market (1st Sat of the Month) followed by an offlead jaunt along the river and a swim. Then the following day go to Hurstbridge Farmers Market.

Have also visited Brighton Dog Beach.

Enjoy Westerfolds Park in Templestowe for a good on lead walk, lots of hills, other than that just wander about our local area and explore all the new estates popping up.

Edited by jm266

lappimum herding is at Nyora. If that isn't too far I can give you the details.

I have obedience on Sundays so can never get to the DOL Kepala meets.

I used to go to the Liverpool Road place all the time when I lived in the Basin.

The Warby trail is quite pleasant. It is on lead but not everyone obeys that.

Well Pointees I think you know the answer, but we do obed, bush walks, visit my horse and let her run mad with another doggy friend, we have regular doggy play dates with local DOL'ers and their dogs and we have started herding. Next on the list when she is a a tiny bit older, agility!

Its all about the dog.

Lappiemum - Herding as JulesP said, heaps of fun! Next one is 20th March.

Going for a walk at the Royal Botanical Gardens is something we all enjoy. They love the little side paths that they can explore. There is so much to sniff and see - my girl squeals with excitement when we arrive.

lappimum herding is at Nyora. If that isn't too far I can give you the details.

I have obedience on Sundays so can never get to the DOL Kepala meets.

I used to go to the Liverpool Road place all the time when I lived in the Basin.

The Warby trail is quite pleasant. It is on lead but not everyone obeys that.

Yes please! :)

I've tried calling the herding people on the VCA site - never had a reply, and hadn't had time to chase it up.

I like taking my dog to kepala. She has lots of fun there, being a waterbaby golden theres lots of options for us :)

We also go to Ruffey Lake park. I am yet to go to the beach with her, been meaning to for ages!

Anything exciting, different parks, playdates with other dogs she loves it.