Stupid Dog Owner In Public

Robbi

Yogi and Abbie have been walking together on walks so well that this morning I decided to take old Jess with us for a circuit of Wooribinda lake at Stirling.

All went well to start with and I was beginning to think I had made great progress in my training and obedience, they were all going so well until :laugh: an off lead(well behaved) Border Collie came into view-Yogi made a great lunge at the poor dog and Abbie got towed along as I had their leashes twisted together but her leash clip snapped and she tumbled over, I lost my footing on the gravel path and fell on top of my 16 year old Kelpie, the Border Collie and his owner looked on in horror and disbelief at my leaping Whippet tanglld in 2 leashes, Abbie sitting wagging her tail and wooing in excitement and a squashed but unhurt Kelpie.

I feel like the village idiot and know now that my ability in multi dog walking is sadly lacking.

I just hope I havent done any damage to Jess by falling on her and that I can still walk Yogi and Abbie together-time to go to dog obedience classes I think, although it was Yogi who was the instigater of the drama not young Abbie and me who was responsible, it could all have ended very badly if the Border Collie had been reactive to Yogi's bad manners.

Sorry about the long rant I just feel I need to share my stupidity :laugh:

Edited by Robbi

Don't be too hard on yourself....it's tricky walking multiple dogs. All can go well for ages and then...like this morning..one slip up combined with a broken clip and DOWN YOU GO.

At least you didn't hurt yourself, I've seen sillier ways to break an ankle. :laugh:

I've tripped over walking just one dog. Two dogs would be a mission for me, three would be unattainable.

At least nothing got hurt, except your pride! :laugh:

I often trip over my dog while walking as he walks like a drunken spider, I could never imagine walking 3 of him :laugh: Dont feel bad we all have those moments. I got mad with my dog at the beach last weekend and screamed at him in front of everybody and I also felt so embarrassed but after all we are only human :o

... her leash clip snapped ...

People look at me like I'm speaking nonsense when I insist for classes that leads be of good quality and point out to them that it's not just about what the actual lead is made of, it is about what it is made UP of, this of course including the snap hook (as well as how the same is secured to the lead - stitching/rivets etc). Regardless of my explanations, there are a number who I can tell do not think the unlikely is likely (ie snap hook snapping) because themselves, their friends, and anyone else they know have never had this happen to them. The difference being of course that as a trainer I am in touch with many more dogs than they might be, so I have the witness account stories to tell. Many still don't believe me. Which is why I'm using your unfortunate experience, Robbi, to make this a BIG point now.

When you purchase your leads you need to take into account the snap hook quality. Most of the silver snap hooks on leads that you purchase (especially from general pet stores/retail outlets) are high tensile metal and it isn't that difficult for an internal hair line crack to occur, just because of the knocks that it takes in general use. People generally don't and can't see these flaws and are not aware of them until it actually gives, and that usually occurs at the time when it is under pressure - which is usually when you need your lead on your dog the most.

I witnessed a snap hook snapping and the lead flung back at the owner's eye, narrowly missing it but injuring the handler's face just under with the sharp edge of the by then broken metal. Not to mention the fact that he lost the restraint he needed on his dog at that very moment. All is well that ends well, but this event had the very real potential for a far more disastrous outcome than it proved to be.

So please do consider it to be a worthwhile investment to purchase a really good quality lead with good quality attachments.

Robbi - I'm glad that things didn't end up worse for you and your dogs than it did. My father used to say to me that to make an error (of judgement or of whatever) is nothing to be ashamed of. To not learn from that error and continue to make the same error ..... well, that's different. I would say you've learnt from this experience of the capabilities of your lead and your dogs and the fact that the environment cannot be guaranteed. So don't be ashamed or embarrassed. None of us are infallible. We have all made and continue to make errors. Hopefully though, they are different ones from which we learn, and not the same over.

Edited by Erny

Robbi I can sympathise

My naughty whippet Lucy was going great guns in agility off and on lead however a BORDER COLLIE joined the class and she turned into a snarling snapping lunging mess. So with the help of an awesome trainer (Jane Harper) we changed handlers - from my OH to me as he gets nervous and frustrated with her behaviour and I don't seem to.

Last week we only had one little incident b/c stupid BC owner came to close - BAH when will other dog people learn to give everyone space regardless of breed etc. Also it didn't help when newbies came in with their snapping smf into the wrong class. They just walked in and made themself comfortable with absolutely no control of dog.

our current strategy is focus on me with food _ that god this dog is FOOD motivated

So we give lots of space and i treat for looks without reaction, attention on me, any relaxed behaviour like lying down. When on equipment we are on lead for now until my recalls are a bit stronger but lots of high pitched girly praise which she laps up .

You can only learn from it and it will make you a better person and dog owner

Glad your dogs are all ok Robbi. :( It took me awhile to get the hang of walking 3, occasionally I will still end up all tied up still but most of the time we are good.

When you purchase your leads you need to take into account the snap hook quality. Most of the silver snap hooks on leads that you purchase (especially from general pet stores/retail outlets) are high tensile metal and it isn't that difficult for an internal hair line crack to occur, just because of the knocks that it takes in general use. People generally don't and can't see these flaws and are not aware of them until it actually gives, and that usually occurs at the time when it is under pressure - which is usually when you need your lead on your dog the most.

Hi Erny, what kind of snap hooks do you recommend? is Brass better? My BC has broke one before when she was alittle too excited getting out of the car, no harm done but I wouldn't have guessed that the old nylon chewed leash was stronger than the clip that broke! Might be time to replace some leads and/or clips! :shrug:

Edited by Casima

Robbi, just join the club of all the dog owners who've gone head over turkey, in public, tangled in their dog or the dog's lead. :shrug:

A friend was saying lately that he wished dogs came with stoplights because his dog, when out walking is either going full-bore with enthusiasm or stops suddenly in high alert mode. And he's catapulted over the top....trying to fly so as not to land on top of his dog.

Erny, thanks for that heads-up about leads & their snap hooks.

When I ordered a show puppy, I asked for one which wouldn't trip me up in the ring,causing me to break something!! You're not the only one.

On leads - buy the best ones you can find. They usually have good quality snap hooks.

Someone told me he bought a labrador pup, which wasn't cheap. He saved on the equipment, and bought a $2 lead at the $2 shop. Looked ok. No problems, until the pup was 8 months old. It saw a dog across the road, jumped and pulled on the lead, the snap hook gave way, he ran across the road, and was run over by a car.

Hi Erny, what kind of snap hooks do you recommend? is Brass better?

I prefer brass but you can get some silver ones that are good quality. Thing is, it is hard if not impossible to tell the difference, so you'd want to purchase from people that you trust know what they are talking about and who know their products well. Pro-K9 sells some of the leather leads that are also available via K9 Force. We'll also be getting a stock of some other leads in soon - these are fantastic leads, look/feel like leather but aren't (and therefore don't need the care that leather might) - good quality all round.

Edited by Erny

I've done a spectacular head-first fall over the top of a very tall and enthusiastic puppy that decided to leap on a leaf that had blown across our path. Fortunately the other dogs I was walking with her just stood there, probably quietly laughing at me like everyone else watching.

We've all been there!

I agree with Erny too- so many people think i am crazy when i talk about their lead quality but i have seen so many leads break, under minimal strain that i think its very worthwhile to get good quality leads. I don't use leather because i don't like the little bit of give in it- and i am lazy and don't want to look after it!

OH makes all our leads- brass clips and rivets and strapping from a saddlery store.

Don't feel bad Robbi- it happens to most people at some point, even if they don't admit it!! :)