I Forgot!

Dame Aussie

So every month my dogs get Sentinel Spectrum, on the same day each month.

Things have been extremely hectic at the moment and I just realised I forgot their last dose!!!

It was due on the 17th....so now I'm not sure if I will be ok just giving it to them now or do I need to get them tested for heartworm??

Fleas are not a problem, they've never had them anyway but it's the heartworm I'm worrying about. I feel like such a bad mum, I'm always so good with this stuff :whiteflag:

I use it every six weeks as they are still well and truly protected for this period.

I don't like overdosing anything and it saves a lot of money this way!

Each time I use it I just mark the calendar for six weeks time. :whiteflag:

the six week interval is interesting.

Speak to your Vet - I gather it is widely accepted by Vets and the manufacturer that it offers protection for at least six weeks. Monthly intervals are safe, and are easier for users to remember to administer, but not required.

I use it every six weeks as they are still well and truly protected for this period.

I don't like overdosing anything and it saves a lot of money this way!

Each time I use it I just mark the calendar for six weeks time. ;)

Me too, and I do it on the advice from my Vet. The only danger is that if you then are late several times in a row, your dog has a much higher risk of getting heartworm than a dog on a 4 week cycle.

If you are in Victoria you needn't worry too much about heartworm. From what I learned, our climate is not conducive to it as the female mosquito needs to survive for a number of days in order to be able to lay eggs. This requires a constant climate combination of both warmth and high humidity levels which we don't have here in Vic. Although it's always a good idea to undergo preventative measures. ;)

I give it every 6 weeks as well - it does say in the instructions its fine, plus it saves some money, but most importantly I like to limit the amount of drugs that the dogs are getting ;) I do have to put a reminder in my phone for it - it is a bit harder to remember than monthly.

If you are in Victoria you needn't worry too much about heartworm.

I've heard the above comment a few times but I'm not so sure about that....... for instance the Barmah Forest virus is a virus that is carried through mosquitos and infects humans (eg. like Ross River Fever).

Barmah Forest is in Victoria.

So therefore one would assume that if you have mossies down there, then there is every chance that your dog can still get heartworm. :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue

I was always a little concered about heartworming Ivy once a month but now it seems fine to do every 6 weeks! Will save me a lot of money with two dogs.

Also while we are on the subject of heartworming by tablet, at what age does a puppy need to be treated? Or is it from eight weeks?

off to re-mark the calendar