Please Keep Your Fingers Crossed

SarasMum

It is so much better making him vomit just after he's eaten in than suffering with the aftermath of cat poo poisoning.

I've never heard of cat poo poisoning. My dogs love going on a scavenger hunt to see where the cat has gone to the bathroom. It's disgusting when they find it and eat it, but I never thought it could be doing them harm.

What are the signs of them being poisoned from it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear the little dog is ok. Sounds like he was lucky.

It is so much better making him vomit just after he's eaten in than suffering with the aftermath of cat poo poisoning.

I've never heard of cat poo poisoning. My dogs love going on a scavenger hunt to see where the cat has gone to the bathroom. It's disgusting when they find it and eat it, but I never thought it could be doing them harm.

Mine too. I have to actually race in as soon as my cat has used the litter tray to clean it out befopre the dog's get to it. They have all eaten cat poo a billion times when I haven't relaised quick enough that she has just been to the toilet.

Edited by ~Anne~

It's probably just a term my vet uses and not a proper illness but each of my dogs at some point have been "poisoned" from cat poo. They just get upset tummies and throw up about a million times, no appetite for a day or so until everything settles down. Sarge had it as a pup and it was quite bad. All my dogs will vomit up cat poo approximately 4 hours after eating it and it is the foulest thing i have ever seen or smelt. It takes a lot of strength to clean it up without :confused:

Our problem is that it's neighbourhood cats pooing in our garden in places we can't block off from the dogs so it drives us batty.

Edited by Mim

oh good news!

our old dog cocker used to help herself to chocolate

ate her way through chocs left under a xmas tree

without any effects

must be the quality of the choc too...maybe theres not enough real chocolate in the majority of the stuff

dark is worse i believe

Does anyone know where to buy the Lectric Soda from?

Trixie got into the Easter eggs too, I had a bag of solid and caramel mini eggs and fell asleep on the couch, went to bed and forgot to put them away :) Heard her drop something on the wood floor and went to have a look and there was a trail of foil wrappers, God knows how she managed to peel them off before she ate the eggs! She ate less than 100g and has had no ill effects, I'd like to keep some Lectric Soda on hand for future incidents!

I'm usually so careful because I know she is a guts, I was kicking myself.

Yup it is definitely available at Coles. I found it right near the Sard Wonder Soap (another must have item for owners of dogs with any white fur). The Lectric is just in a clear plastic bag with "Lectric Soda Crystals" written on it and the logo or whatever.

ETA I wonder how many people actually use Lectric for it's original purpose - soothing foot baths :)

Edited by Mim

Glad to hear she is ok.

ive used a salt paste before after my gutz got to a block of dark choc, she was SO mad a t me for making her sick, she ignored me for the rest of the day (my oldest cairn)

Milk choc I just tend to watch them, but thats only happened once last easter and she was fine..

I don't know the entire reason behind it but some dogs seem to be okay and others react to only a slight amount of it.

Quality of the chocolate brand and how much cacao is actually in them would be my guess, but I am surprised at the easter eggs - there isnt much chocolate in them at all. Great news about little piglet Daphne coming home :laugh: .

Scary stuff - easter chocolate. My goldie will eat anything she can get near, we have had to resuce her from all sorts of things. A lot of people dont seem to take the chocolate warning seriously - extremely annoying ( non dog owners that is!)

Glad Daphne is ok :laugh:

The size of the dog has nothing to do with it, our old mini foxy X chihuahua dog was a huge fan of chocolate, when she was quite young my grandparents were looking after her and she got into a huge box of Roses and ate every single one, she had also gotten into blocks of chocolate on more than one occasion. Not once did she end up at the vet and she lived to a ripe old age of 14 (she got heartworm at age 9 and we were told she would live another 12 months)

My JRT has gotten into chocolate a couple of times, she has never had a great amount of it but she has never gotten sick from it, my Golden has never had any and Im going to be very careful she doesnt get any

Glad Daphne is ok :cry:

The size of the dog has nothing to do with it, our old mini foxy X chihuahua dog was a huge fan of chocolate, when she was quite young my grandparents were looking after her and she got into a huge box of Roses and ate every single one, she had also gotten into blocks of chocolate on more than one occasion. Not once did she end up at the vet and she lived to a ripe old age of 14 (she got heartworm at age 9 and we were told she would live another 12 months)

My JRT has gotten into chocolate a couple of times, she has never had a great amount of it but she has never gotten sick from it, my Golden has never had any and Im going to be very careful she doesnt get any

:laugh:

The size of the dog has everything to do with it.

So how do you explain a 4kg dog having no ill effects after having a large quantity of chocolate on at least 3 occasions?

In your sample size of one dog?

That makes no sense

The dog I mentioned above would have been 4kg, on more than one occasion, at least 3, she ate a huge amount of chocolate and suffered no ill effects and had no vet treatment after eating chocolate

ETA: This is not a "sample" this was our family dog we had when I was young

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I mean that a sample size of one dog that didn't have a reaction doesn't mean that 'size of the dog' has nothing to do with it.

Everything I've found measures the potentially lethal rate as oz per kg. So, ounces of chocolate per kg of dog. So, size of the dog has a lot to do with poisoning.

Accordingly, less than 1 oz of milk chocolate/lb (2oz/kg) is potentially lethal to dogs; for baking (unsweetened) chocolate, less than 0.1 oz/lb (0.2 ounces/kg) ispotentially lethal.

From here:

http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer/toxbr...1.pdf?docID=111