Pup Returning After 1st Night! Unbelievable.

moosmum

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:confused::confused: At the breakdown/meltdown stories.

My first dogs were two Maltese puppies from different litters. Never having had babies of any description, I was a complete and utter wreck - I even rang my vet to ask if dogs could die of cot death :rofl::rofl: :p .

And did do the bursting into tears and falling on the neck of an extremely unsympathetic friend :eek: .

Like the others, I am glad little Miss Confident has been returned so quickly, but it is a shock. I had a rescue pup (about 6 months old at the time) returned in less than 24 hours. She had kept the people awake and would have taught their existing dog bad habits LOL.

Six years later, she is still with me and, yes, has taught my other dogs bad habits :laugh::laugh:

Haha - 5 days in I have to say yesterday i burst into tears holding my little bundle of joy 'oh god what have i done" when i found another puddle of pee - lol. Hubby put pup in the dining room and penned him in so he was safely playing with his toys and had access to his food and water and crate, took me by the hand, put me in the car, drove me to woolworths, and bought me chocolate. LOL! He knew how to calm me down. I just needed to be away from the puppy mess for half an hour to appreciate him again - he's a bundle of joy, i love him dearly, but geez puppies are hard work.

It's embarrassing admitting i had a little puppy related breakdown but it's true! I just can't wait for him to be a big boy, lol. And PMS can probably be attributed alot of the blame. lol.

No need to be ashamed, I had a total breakdown when Zoe was a pup, I would walk into the kitchen, see poo, wee and chewed items fro bench surfing and broke down into tears.... I thought it was just me :eek:

I didnt even get home from picking my current girl up before breaking down. I almost turned around and took her back. They told me she was a 'talker' and very active and opinionated. They understated it a bit. She cried and screamed the whole way home (2 hours). I spent the whole car ride home thinking what have I done.

She has been a very challenging girl, is VERY energetic and still likes her opinion heard. But I love her the way she is!

Speaking of breakdowns I remember being at my wits end, ringing up a friend and shouting “She won’t stay still naturally! She never wants to stay still! I can’t keep her on this friggen mat with a stay command forever!” :eek:

Speaking of breakdowns I remember being at my wits end, ringing up a friend and shouting “She won’t stay still naturally! She never wants to stay still! I can’t keep her on this friggen mat with a stay command forever!” :eek:

I applaud them,they where responsible owners something we all dream off .

They where quick to consider the dogs interest first ,they contacted the breeder asap & did all things one hopes when placing a pup out even if it did go pear shaped.

We placed a pup out to people who where perfect.lots of meet & greets & where thrilled with there pup to be.

The pup lasted 2 days because the wife couldnt deal with the worry.She was paranoid something would happen as it was so small & she couldnt deal with it & i mean literally couldnt deal with it.

The pup was returned & she was so ashamed but we stressed the point there was nothing to be ashamed off.

About 12 months latter we placed out an older dog with them because irrespective of what happened they are super owners BUT she couldnt deal once home with the little size,she was well aware etc etc .well prepared but she had a fear that she couldnt deal with .It was a unknown surprise to her husband aswell,he never expected it & was floored by her reaction .

I look at all the alternatives that could have happened & am grateful they did the right thing & came back to us asap

I didnt even get home from picking my current girl up before breaking down. I almost turned around and took her back. They told me she was a 'talker' and very active and opinionated. They understated it a bit. She cried and screamed the whole way home (2 hours). I spent the whole car ride home thinking what have I done.

I'm with you - I barely made it out of the breeder's yard before the "Holy crap, what the hell am I doing with this poor, screaming puppy?" panic set in. I don't know who was more distressed on the way home - him or me! That first weekend was so far from as smooth as I would have hoped, it's not funny. I was so anxious I felt very ill the whole three days. Thank goodness we've moved on from there!

And then had a complete meltdown a week or two later because he just would not stop biting! Just sat down and had a big cry :thumbsup:

Good on them for recognising that they couldn't cope. Better now than later.

Haha - 5 days in I have to say yesterday i burst into tears holding my little bundle of joy 'oh god what have i done" when i found another puddle of pee - lol. Hubby put pup in the dining room and penned him in so he was safely playing with his toys and had access to his food and water and crate, took me by the hand, put me in the car, drove me to woolworths, and bought me chocolate. LOL! He knew how to calm me down. I just needed to be away from the puppy mess for half an hour to appreciate him again - he's a bundle of joy, i love him dearly, but geez puppies are hard work.

It's embarrassing admitting i had a little puppy related breakdown but it's true! I just can't wait for him to be a big boy, lol. And PMS can probably be attributed alot of the blame. lol.

What a wonderful hubby - could you clone him???

I guess I was lucky - the 1st Poodle I ever got sat on my lap quietly all the way home - was beautifully behaved & very easy to train (she was just softening us up - the next botch WAS a bitch :thumbsup: )

I agree with the posters who said the people did the right thing returning the puppy - better than, as happened to one I bred, being sold to someone else when he was past the "cute" stage :thumbsup: (we did eventually get that one back & re-homed him)

Edited by poodlemum

I'm with the puppy meltdowns- we did it twice in 2 months!

D'oh!

I remember standing in the kitchen @ 2am screaming 'stop biting my clothes!'

Bert cried every night for a week. OH got me ear plugs.

Sometimes I still think 'what have we done?' but I wouldnt change it :thumbsup:

Awwww, he's gorgeous!

I think my partner had that 'OMG' moment when we first brought our BC bundle of joy home.

I knew that there would be many accidents inside, chewed up items around the house and all the crying that was to be expected with a young pup, but I think he just wasn't ready for it.

Our next one will be easier for him I think, already knows what to expect now :thumbsup:

I'm glad that they returned the pup to you. Some people probably wouldn't even take the trip back or bother contacting you and just dumping her at a pound or something like that.

Hope she finds a wonderful home!

The waiting for a puppy thread looks like a good puppy suport group and sounds like it would be a good idea!

I think these people were very responsible in the end which is what counts,and I am grateful for that..I think seeing this puppy so full on and realising how big she was going to be must have been a big scarey thought!

No one should be ashamed of their meltdown moments,including these people.It just shows they DO take the responsibility seriously.

I must addmitt to being pretty blown out at 1st!

Eden IS a lovely name,but I don't think it suits :thumbsup:

Boomer sounds good! I think she will be a force of nature so it kind of fits there too.

I can only remember having one meltdown moment with Darcy. He got out of the yard through a small gap in the fence that I hadn't noticed. He then proceeded to run down the street, happily bouncing around wagging his tail, waiting for me to get almost close enough to grab him and then running off again. Cheeky little brat.

Lucky he went the opposite direction to the busy road we lived near but I thought I would never catch him and he certainly wasn't interested in coming back to me when I called him :thumbsup:

When I him home I burst into tears but I think it was more relief than anything :thumbsup: I found out later that my stupid ex had been playing chase games with him after I had specifically told him not to :thumbsup: Don't think he realise how serious I was until he got home and copped an earful...

Shame they didn't think it through properly, but great that they brought her back. I know a man who breeds pedigree cats and he sold a kitten to a man one night only to find out it was in the RSPCA the next morning!! Didn't even last 24 hours! And this man also said he would take it back. Thankfully the kitten found a new home (a staff member kept it) but how awful to find out that something you bred and loved for 10 weeks was now at the pound. ;)

I applaud them,they where responsible owners something we all dream off .

They where quick to consider the dogs interest first ,they contacted the breeder asap & did all things one hopes when placing a pup out even if it did go pear shaped.

I agree entirely showdog.

Its also about knowing yourself - I couldn't 'do puppies' if my life depended on it!! :thumbsup: (Well... I could in an absolute emergency... but I'd rather not!! I really am too old and I don't do sleep deprivation well! :thumbsup:) Which is why I take adults and admire those who do have puppies, even though even having adults is like perpetual toddlers IMO! :thumbsup: Having said that, after getting up to my darling Mac 4 times last Friday night after he couldn't settle after his right ACL repair last Thursday, I was a tad sleep deprived and grumpy to say the least and wouldn't have it any other way! I do it all again ten times over....

I just hope that this mother and daughter people think more carefully about what age of dog suits them and their lifestyle in the future. But good on them for returning the puppy so promptly, so no harm done. ;)

It is good they rang you straight away, I am sure the girl is very embaressed, but having had a dog until 18 months that I just didn't gel with and finally ringing the breeder in desperation I can understand - although I was prepared to try a bit longer than one day!

I remember getting Rommi when my youngest Baby was 5 months. He had started sleeping through the night, puppy of course, couldn't. I remember laying in bed after a very cold nocturnal toileting trip - thinking why the bloody hell did I do this! Next day I was over it and it was all good again!

I'm another who had a meltdown the day after I got Lottie - The day I picked her up was the greatest day ever!!!!!! She was great in the car, very confident little girl, then the nighttime came - I was home all alone, uni had finished for the year, I was exhausted and I had this little puppy who I was now responsible for!!!! I remember msg my friend at about 6am the next morning asking if she was awake (she has two dogs), took Lottie over and burst into tears!!!!!! Then I went to my sisters and again burst into tears - but she talked some sense into me!!! And now I look back and think how silly I was - she was actually really quite good considering.... Now I couldn't live without her!!! Luckily my doubt about it all only lasted a couple days, now she's 7 months old, and not a puppy anymore, and although when she was a puppy all I could think was I can't wait till she's all grown up, but now I WISH she was little again ;) it goes soooo quick!!!!